Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-04-2022, 11:04 AM

Default Rinella's brother says social media is ruining hunting. I don't disagree.

I just listened to an episode of the Meat Eater podcast. Steven Rinella's brother was a guest and went on a huge rant about how social media is ruining hunting. Ep. 304 The fish shack's revenge.

Considering Meat Eater are the absolute masters of modern hunting media use to promote commerce, it was interesting they gave him a voice to oppose them on their own social media platform.

Some of his points were around hunter recruitment and how many hunters are enough, social media likes as a major motivation for killing big animals, how hunting shows hunt private land but promote the public land hunting lifestyle, he also asked them outright how many animals they've wounded and not recovered during filming but never mentioned. They never really answered that question (no judgment on my part, we've all wounded animals).

It sounds like the over crowding of public land hunting areas is just as bad in Montana as it is in Southern Alberta. 2020 and 21 were so busy out in the foothills and I found it detracted from the overall hunting experience. It makes me wonder how many hunters are enough hunters, but I don't want to give up my opportunities so why would anyone else?

Hopefully when covid goes away things go back to normal out there. But somehow I don't think it ever will.....
Old 01-04-2022, 11:08 AM

Humans in general are ruining hunting as well as anything we touch, social media is just more more thing for people who want the easiest path to their idea of a reward be it money or bragging rights.
Cat
Old 01-04-2022, 11:15 AM

My favorite part of that article was when he called out the likes of Cam Hanes, Joe Rogan and their group of buddies that kill 4 bull elk each per year on 4 different ranches. Apparently Aron Snyder, owner of Kifaru took 7 bull elk one year. Gotta do it for the gram. While I have killed zero elk so far I see Cam Hanes' gym with like 30 elk mounts and wonder if it ever gets tiring doing a guided hunt 4 times per year instead of maybe a public land diy hunt with risk of coming home empty handed?

I'll get the article from Rokslide.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...social-media//
Old 01-04-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
My favorite part of that article was when he called out the likes of Cam Hanes, Joe Rogan and their group of buddies that kill 4 bull elk each per year on 4 different ranches. Apparently Aron Snyder, owner of Kifaru took 7 bull elk one year. Gotta do it for the gram. While I have killed zero elk so far I see Cam Hanes' gym with like 30 elk mounts and wonder if it ever gets tiring doing a guided hunt 4 times per year instead of maybe a public land diy hunt with risk of coming home empty handed?

If you had a $100K marketing budget you could create a hunting social media influencer. He or she would need the motivation and work ethic to train and practice (bow hunting specifically). But it could be done.
And some natural charisma would help!
Old 01-04-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
If you had a $100K marketing budget you could create a hunting social media influencer. He or she would need the motivation and work ethic to train and practice (bow hunting specifically). But it could be done.
And some natural charisma would help!
I totally get it, they are brand ambassadors or sponsored athletes but in the few years I've followed a few of the Joe Rogan n friends they seem to only hunt a couple species. Like once John Dudley switched to PSE and got Joe n friends on PSE all of a sudden PSE was the best even though Hoyt was the best before.

Cam hunts ranched or guided animals period.

Joe seems to only hunt elk and axis deer on lanai.

Jocko is new to hunting and has only taken an elk as far as I know with John Dudley's help.

At least people like Steve Rinella, Remi Warren, Randy Newberg hunt most species, don't seem to take 4 bulls per year and accept going home empty handed. I remember one podcast Joe even said he doesn't like failure so he does hunts with high probability. Probably after hunting Alaska with Rinella he decided getting rained on for a week straight sucked lol. John Dudley shoots a lot of elk but also shoots a lot of whitetails and snags an antelope too.

Last edited by DirtShooter; 01-04-2022 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:40 AM

An interesting listen is his original "Blood Origins" before he was on MeatEater.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:59 AM

This is why I have tremendous respect for Steve Rinella - not only is he intelligent, open minded and articulate - a true ambassador for all of us hunters and sportsmen - he is OPEN to criticism and open to discuss and air our own dirty laundry and self reflect on what we can do better.

On another point, the "TV Hunters" who take multiple big game hunts and are backed by big money don't reflect who many of us are - however - if it's not them doing it - someone else will. It would be tough to be compelling on a season to season show if you weren't drawn for your bull elk tag that season .... filming a guy taking his 2-3 general tags per season would be a tough sell on TV.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
This is why I have tremendous respect for Steve Rinella - not only is he intelligent, open minded and articulate - a true ambassador for all of us hunters and sportsmen - he is OPEN to criticism and open to discuss and air our own dirty laundry and self reflect on what we can do better.

On another point, the "TV Hunters" who take multiple big game hunts and are backed by big money don't reflect who many of us are - however - if it's not them doing it - someone else will. It would be tough to be compelling on a season to season show if you weren't drawn for your bull elk tag that season .... filming a guy taking his 2-3 general tags per season would be a tough sell on TV.
x2
Old 01-04-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I agree. Rinella and Newberg are the only reason why my interest in hunting was rekindled after a disastrous experience 8 or 9 years ago. Both are humble, down to earth and respect the sport and animals. Even my wife, a non-hunter enjoys watching Meateater. The first episode she watched was one where Rinella struck out. She went "wait, it's over? he didn't kill anything." I went "yeah babe, that's hunting. you don't always kill something" Her only previous exposure to hunting shows was stuff like the Primos shows where it's all about the kill and a bunch of rednecks whooping it up afterwards.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:40 PM
Banned

I think rinella is ruining hunting
🤷*♂️
Old 01-04-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:

I still watch and listen to meateater but the more I do, the further they get from what they started as. They show more and more that they are a company trying to grow Hunter numbers for a profit. It’s becoming less about the hunt and more about buying their gear (firstlite, fhf, etc). To me a lot of it seems to be more about creating a legacy for themselves and not for what they claim to stand for. Steven was anything but articulate in the conversation with his brother. Unfortunately neither was Matt, but I feel as though he came out of the gun like that because Steve can easily railroad him and his voice wouldn’t really be heard. I read the article before the podcast came out and I agree 100 % with what he speaks too. I post the odd thing on social media about hunting but I won’t be posting an animal ever again. I know it won’t effect anything but it’s a personal choice. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Agreed. Rinella is a respectable guy for sure. His book American Bison was excellent and really gave you a look into his view of the world.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:54 PM

Instagram is the worst thing that happened to waterfowling in my opinion, also the best. Met some of my closest friends through it. Take the good leave the bad. Acknowledge the bad but focus on the good.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:59 PM

Aspects of “social media” can certainly ruin hunting like nimbys harassing legal hunts for some form of footage to post in outrage. It’s a wide topic and can be applied to anything really “social media ruined XYZ”. I think it can be used for good though as well. The promotion/education of hunting isn’t a bad thing IMO. There’s bigger fish to fry in the “social media” debate if you ask me. Like elections, but I’ll stop there :-)
Old 01-04-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDawg View Post
I still watch and listen to meateater but the more I do, the further they get from what they started as. They show more and more that they are a company trying to grow Hunter numbers for a profit. It’s becoming less about the hunt and more about buying their gear (firstlite, fhf, etc). To me a lot of it seems to be more about creating a legacy for themselves and not for what they claim to stand for. Steven was anything but articulate in the conversation with his brother. Unfortunately neither was Matt, but I feel as though he came out of the gun like that because Steve can easily railroad him and his voice wouldn’t really be heard. I read the article before the podcast came out and I agree 100 % with what he speaks too. I post the odd thing on social media about hunting but I won’t be posting an animal ever again. I know it won’t effect anything but it’s a personal choice. Just my 2 cents.
I used to post all kinds of hunting images on Instagram. Not only harvested animals but everything. Then about 6 months ago something changed and I started to see it differently. It seemed so fake. Like you're trying to convince the world you're something special.
Partially it was becoming aware of what type of role model I was being for my son. Kids live on their phones.
But I still did a post of this year's whitetail....so I guess I'm not fully cured!
Old 01-04-2022, 01:01 PM

Default Social media

I am new to this province, country and the sport of hunting, so I can't speak to the public land hunting of yesteryear, but I have noticed some trends in my short uears here. People I have hunted with who are directly influenced by social media seem to struggle finding motivation and unsuccessful hunts are tough on them. In my humble take on things, I think these people are seeing photos of trophy racks on the back of someone's pack or a grip and grin with a monster animal and they want that, they want the glory, but what these snapshots do not show is the work that needs to be put in to this moment for a regular blue collar guy. It doesn't show them getting up at 4am, driving 2 hours, hiking 5km or scouting for months in the summer, becoming proficient with a weapon and becoming physically fit. People just want the glory without doing the work most of the time and this just equates to lazy hunters, walking or driving the roads with thousands of dollars worth of gear while I'm sat on a hillside 2 bowls back in my walmart camo
Old 01-04-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Agreed. Rinella is a respectable guy for sure. His book American Bison was excellent and really gave you a look into his view of the world.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:12 PM

Too me he just comes off as angry because HIS public lands are too crowded.

I post my pics to social media for myself to look back at as much as anything, I look at it all most as my hunting diary.

He cant seem to separate the average hunter using social media and influencers/wanna be influencers.

Seeing people do hardcore backcountry hunts and work for their success has definitely inspired me to push my self harder.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post

So you think he hasnt hunt public land dyi hunts before?
You need to do your home work

The problem isnt social media ruining hunting, its greed and jealousy!

Maybe instead of cruising instagram or forums you should be doing what cam did in order to be sucessful. Put in the work! Then maybe you would understand where he came from and where hes been! Hes successful because he worked harder than everyone else! He runs the equivalence of a marathon every damn day! But he only gets big elk because he goes on guided hunts? Give your head a shake!

Rinella is a goof who played the average joe card and that was his niche
He did countless dumb things just to get attention
Hes a terrible hunter that likes to cook odd things
If he wasnt out looking for attention, glory and money. The why would he ever have a tv show?

If you want to know whos in it for the attention and whos in it for the love of the outdoors
See how many hashtags people have on their profiles!
Its pretty easy to see people intentions

Thats my rant on this!
Old 01-04-2022, 01:36 PM

Kuiu just sent me an email saying I was pro staff. I was excited until I saw that they sent my kids and my wife the same one.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-04-2022, 01:38 PM

I think Rinella maybe has undiagnosed mental health issues. You see the crap he eats???? Damn guy ate a coyote one time.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Humans in general are ruining hunting as well as anything we touch, social media is just more more thing for people who want the easiest path to their idea of a reward be it money or bragging rights.
Cat

X2
Old 01-04-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I think rinella is ruining hunting
🤷*♂️
^^this^^ and I think social media is ruining the pretty much everything.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:56 PM

You want to enjoy hunting for what it is stop giving a crap about what others think or do. Go out and hunt for your own personal reasons and own personal goals.

I don’t see the hype with Rinella personally but compared to others out there he does put in an effort to try and put hunting in a good light. But honestly the guy is also a show man and is playing things up

As for the busy public land comments I have been hearing it for years but I have never found it all that hard to get away from others.

Your choice on how you go about your hunting and it will be what you make of it
Old 01-04-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
You want to enjoy hunting for what it is stop giving a crap about what others think or do. Go out and hunt for your own personal reasons and own personal goals.
But but what about the millions and trillions of people on FakeBook that need to know how awesome I am????? Wont somebody think of them????

Years ago I posted pics when i first joined.

I used to burn donuts in the school parking lot too at one time......

I just got sick of it.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I think Rinella maybe has undiagnosed mental health issues. You see the crap he eats???? Damn guy ate a coyote one time.
anything for attention
Old 01-04-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
But but what about the millions and trillions of people on FakeBook that need to know how awesome I am????? Wont somebody think of them????

Years ago I posted pics when i first joined.

I just got sick of it.
I have never had Facebook but I figured people realize I am awesome already so I don’t need it

Best thing I ever did for my personal hunting was I stopped giving a crap about score or what others thought. Hunt how I enjoy hunting and shoot what I feel is right in the moment

I still make hunting related posts on here but it’s because I enjoy BSing about hunting. The story and sharing of tactics is what I enjoy more than pics of animals taken
Old 01-04-2022, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Come on….truth be told I bet deep down you still like burning donuts. Who doesn’t? I only ever got tired of buying new rear tires and the odd donut or burnout still brings a smile to my face every time and I’m closer to 50 than 49…

As for social media, it’s a good time waster but it’s importance is starting to wane with me. Now I’d just call it an addiction like any other.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
If a coyote tastes like it smells - I would rather go vegan.....well, almost.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:34 PM

I hunted with a guy that was so obsessed with social media it seemed he totally lost all interest in hunting. We could limit out on snows and his comment would be “that’s a lot of work for no bands”. I came to realize the whole purpose of his hunting was for posts. All for about 1500 followers lol.
I also hunt with a guy who has over 15k followers, he is good on the gram but hunting is always first for him and social media is just a way for him to share his good times.