Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-06-2022, 11:35 AM

Default Best Skinning Knife for $200 or Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Haha. Why did you order purple though? Doesn’t look too bad though, but definitely wouldn’t be my first choice, or second.

That’s how exclusives work. I’ve got over half a doz scale options so I knew I could dress it however I want.
I’m also aware what they’re selling for now and always knew I would have the potential to see a good return on my initial $160 investment.

They’re worth a fair bit more then that over here due to how rare it is here.

Between the m390, 20cv and two in CTS-204p that I already use I’m in good shape. I might throw that Cruwear blade in a different handle and give it a try or I might sell it. I haven’t decided and for now it’s sitting safely in my safe.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 09-06-2022 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-06-2022, 12:49 PM

Yeah. That was from DLT, no? There was one with black blade too, if I am not mistaken.

There were so many exclusives of Para that it is no longer worth the time with most of them, as far as “flipping” is concerned (although I haven’t been closely following for a while), after the seller’s fees, shipping, etc - a guy would end up with a few bucks “profit” on most stuff, at best. In your neck of the woods it sure is different though. I’ve noticed a while back that many things sell for twice as much (or more) as they do here.

I would sell it and buy a “reg” if you still want to play with it.

You shipped it to Alberta from DLT and no problems at the border? Random folders have been a problem to import for a long time.
Old 09-06-2022, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah. That was from DLT, no? There was one with black blade too, if I am not mistaken.

There were so many exclusives of Para that it is no longer worth the time with most of them, as far as “flipping” is concerned (although I haven’t been closely following for a while), after the seller’s fees, shipping, etc - a guy would end up with a few bucks “profit” on most stuff, at best. In your neck of the woods it sure is different though. I’ve noticed a while back that many things sell for twice as much (or more) as they do here.

I would sell it and buy a “reg” if you still want to play with it.

You shipped it to Alberta from DLT and no problems at the border? Random folders have been a problem to import for a long time.

I don’t go much on the black blades. The one I take on the boat is a 20cv with the coated blade but given the choice I like a satin blade. I also have the rivers edge exclusive PVT coated “avocado” in CTS-204p but that’s just cause I like the colour.

Yea it shipped from DLT to my in-laws in Alberta. I still lived there when the CBA started pretending they made the laws and stopping “flippers” at the border. I bet I’ve had 20 spyderco knives come across the border since then and never had one stopped. Almost all were opened but none were ever stopped.

I may pull it out and use it one day or I might not. My proximity to the ocean and daily excursions into salt water are what’s killing it for me. I like a VERY stainless knife. Maybe it just needs a patina and some use… idk.
Old 09-06-2022, 11:48 PM

^ Same. I don’t like coated blades. Had to google the avocado, lol. Looks cool.

That’s great info on the import. Good to know.

Yeah, I forget about where you are in regards to “salinity”, lol. However, if your D2 is fine, Cruwear should definitely be fine as well.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:22 AM

Sns’s knife is up (his is nicer though):

https://forthenrycustomknives.com/sh...r-fibermascus/

Old 09-07-2022, 09:36 AM

Mine was Mailed USPS Sept 2, cleared customs yesterday at noon, took less than 4 hours from receipt at Mississauga to being cleared. Supposed to be here on the 12th. Looking forward to trying it out on game. Going to run it alongside my Buck 110 in S30V that I have carried the past few years.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Sns’s knife is up (his is nicer though):

[url]https://forthenrycustomknives.com/shop/dan-crotts/dan-crotts-rare-brend-skinner-fibermascus/[/url
Yes, it is. I asked Dan what grind he preferred for this model, and I told him to choose blade length. I have seen him make this design with a blade length between 4.25" up to 5". For moose and elk, he suggested the 5" blade and a full flat grind. I find the lines to be a bit cleaner, and for how I use my knife, I was happy for the extra length, as I will use this knife for deboning and cutting meat. For $500, I wanted to have a knife I used more than when an animal is down on the ground. It looks long, but it's really not. The blade is 1.5" longer than all the semi skinners the fellas are ordering.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited by sns2; 09-07-2022 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Mora, under $30 most places.
45 years plus and they still work just fine and if you lose one your out $35 bucks. Unlike my brothers Puma, he still cried over that knife 50 years later.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
45 years plus and they still work just fine and if you lose one your out $35 bucks. Unlike my brothers Puma, he still cried over that knife 50 years later.
Really good knives for the buck, laminated steel ( I guess the most people call it San Mai these days!), red plastic handles, and a plastic case .
I had two trapper buddies that used them for everything for field dressing to skinning.
I still carry one in the truck.
Cat
Old 09-08-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Yes, it is. I asked Dan what grind he preferred for this model, and I told him to choose blade length. I have seen him make this design with a blade length between 4.25" up to 5". For moose and elk, he suggested the 5" blade and a full flat grind. I find the lines to be a bit cleaner, and for how I use my knife, I was happy for the extra length, as I will use this knife for deboning and cutting meat. For $500, I wanted to have a knife I used more than when an animal is down on the ground. It looks long, but it's really not. The blade is 1.5" longer than all the semi skinners the fellas are ordering.

Man I really like that trailing point for a meat cutter....you guys will get me in big trouble with the mrs.......
Old 09-08-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Man I really like that trailing point for a meat cutter....you guys will get me in big trouble with the mrs.......
I think it will skin just fine too
Old 09-08-2022, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I think it will skin just fine too
I have no doubt, just not my preference for size or blade shape for field work....but as a processor.....wow...we spend a lot of time processing game around here....our record was 21 big game animals one season. As ours was the only rural place among our family and friends and we were set up for processing many of our friends and family processed at our place....over the years many of those moved into the country themselves and we no longer do the quantity. The past few years its been 2-6 deer, 1-3 elk and a moose every few years still get processed here.. between hunting and cutting it's a busy season lol. A fine blade such as that would be a pleasure to use instead of the typical zwilling/ victorinox blades I usually cut with...

I'm certain every cut and slice will put a big smile on your face.
Old 09-08-2022, 01:49 PM

You boys wait until you see the newest custom coming my way!!! Will be in my hands next week!

Hint... I love Diet A&W Root Beer.
Old 09-10-2022, 10:51 AM

Is it a mug with a knife on it??

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2022, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Is it a mug with a knife on it??

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
My dad used to steal those mugs like a junkie steals loose change!
Old 09-10-2022, 08:14 PM

Shoot, I may live to regret this, but I just got contacted by my favorite knifemaker. He has a design that has really caught my eye. Ordering one would necessitate me selling my Crotts. If any of you fellas really liked it, I'd let you have it for exactly what I paid, $496.27. he's not even taking orders anymore, so you'd have a wicked custom in time for hunting season. Damn I may regret this.

Old 09-10-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
^ Same. I don’t like coated blades. Had to google the avocado, lol. Looks cool.

That’s great info on the import. Good to know.

Yeah, I forget about where you are in regards to “salinity”, lol. However, if your D2 is fine, Cruwear should definitely be fine as well.

Well I pulled the trigger and put it on eBay. Didn’t take long

After six years the m390 got displaced from my pocket and I’ll run the avocado for a while.

I did get the set together once though before I broke it up.

Shane that’s a crazy decision. Seems your right down the rabbit hole now.
Old 09-10-2022, 09:59 PM

Knife has a new home. Sold to a great guy!

Old 09-10-2022, 10:00 PM

Coiloil, I know I'm a bloody fool, but I'm an old addict at heart. You wanna know what's weird? I get more satisfaction out of researching stuff, and buying it. Once I get it, I admire it for a bit, then start plotting what's next. Lol. I love it. The nice thing is knives aren't custom rifles or fine shotguns.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:50 PM

grohmann knives
Old 09-12-2022, 08:55 PM

Glad to be the new owner! I think it will be a great knife! Hope to try it out! more than a arm shave though! Thanks sns2
Quote:

Old 09-12-2022, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Glad to be the new owner! I think it will be a great knife! Hope to try it out! more than a arm shave though! Thanks sns2
Hopefully, I hook up with my Camrose Mule (aka Elk11) and pass it on this weekend.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:20 PM

I guess we will have to wait and see what the new knife your getting is??????
Old 09-12-2022, 09:28 PM

Light weight? no idea!
Quote:
You boys wait until you see the newest custom coming my way!!! Will be in my hands next week!

Hint... I love Diet A&W Root Beer.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Shoot, I may live to regret this, but I just got contacted by my favorite knifemaker. He has a design that has really caught my eye. Ordering one would necessitate me selling my Crotts. If any of you fellas really liked it, I'd let you have it for exactly what I paid, $496.27. he's not even taking orders anymore, so you'd have a wicked custom in time for hunting season. Damn I may regret this.

Haha! Who is the knifemaker though?

I guess the torch goes to badbrass for a field report, lol.

Quote:
Coiloil, I know I'm a bloody fool, but I'm an old addict at heart. You wanna know what's weird? I get more satisfaction out of researching stuff, and buying it. Once I get it, I admire it for a bit, then start plotting what's next. Lol. I love it. The nice thing is knives aren't custom rifles or fine shotguns.

Last edited by fishnguy; 09-12-2022 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Well I pulled the trigger and put it on eBay. Didn’t take long
Should have listed for more with “buy now”, lol. But yeah, I’d sell it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
After six years the m390 got displaced from my pocket and I’ll run the avocado for a while.
That’s a shame. Hope you find it.
Old 09-13-2022, 12:05 AM

Default Best Skinning Knife for $200 or Less

Quote:
Should have listed for more with “buy now”, lol. But yeah, I’d sell it too.

That’s a shame. Hope you find it.

Nah, it’s in the safe. By displaced I meant it’s in semi retirement, not gone. That carbon fiber/m390 version has been carried every day since I bought it and she’s got some miles on her. I compared blades to a new one and it’s about 3/16” shorter from how many times it’s been sharpened.

Not that anyone cares but I shipped that Cruwear yesterday at about 10:00 am. It was delivered today 1800km away, approx 25 hours after it entered the system. Australia post rocks, inexpensive and quick. It’s the norm to get stuff the day after I order it online.

Shane told me what he sold the Crotts for and what he’s buying. Seemed loco to me but I honestly have no experience with what he bought so who am I to say.

Mebbe you need this southfork SNS??? It could take a ride back to Canada with my sister in January… prob be in your hands in the new year…

Last edited by Coiloil37; 09-13-2022 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-13-2022, 11:32 AM

Lots of great knives out there I think we are breaking the bank on the $200 with many though. My go to knife is the Knives of Alaska magnum Alaskan its a good sized stout knife with a great grip done up in D2 Steel around 60 RW. Tough knife with a durable edge and not horrible to sharpen.
My second knife is a Enzo Trapper 95 also in D2 around 61 RW another great knife with micarta handle.
I really like the D2 only downside as with any high carbon steel is rusting or discoloring if not taken care of but as a whole I feel D2 gives the best of all steel charateristics. Its tough, edge retention is very good and sharpening isnt horrible.

For a hunting knife it is tough to beat D2. I have a Spyderco in S30V and while I do like the rust resistance for a EDC I really don't find the edge retention as good as the D2.

https://www.knivesofalaska.com/Store...kan---suregrip

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/ENB...leather-sheath
Old 09-13-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Did you even try it out? Even just to cut up a roast or something?
Old 09-13-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Did you even try it out? Even just to cut up a roast or something?
He only used it to "manscape"