Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-29-2023, 09:39 AM

Default Upper pembina

Hey all just curious if anyone has heard of they’ll be opening the upper pembina this year? Sure would be nice to walk those creeks again with a fly rod one day 😂
Old 03-29-2023, 07:46 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath. It was supposed to open last year.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:24 PM

I heard it's not reopening this year. Maybe next year. The fishery is not recovering is what I was told.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:29 PM

When we were initially informed of the plan to close the upper Pembina in early 2016...it was already a done deal.
So...some of the questions I asked at the time were..what is the objective?...what are the benchmarks/criteria for reopening?

The answers;
The goal for the upper Pembina...is "The long term goal is to ensure that population sustainability is maintained so that First Nations can exercise their Treaty Right to fish in perpetuity in the watershed and the fisheries resource can be allocated to recreational anglers . A recovery rest period is the first step toward that goal"

What will happen after the 5 year rest period?
AEP will reassess the status of the fish populations at the end of the 5 year period and consult with First Nations and all stakeholders on the next steps.

Here we are 7 years later and I believe that some of the original drivers behind this like Paulette Fenton are no longer with the program.

Was any consultation done after 5 years?...I do not know...if so...I have not heard.

The program was billed as a "first of its kind on flowing waters in Alberta"...which was not true as some of you will remember alternate season closures on east slope streams back 40 or 50 years ago

My prediction at the time was that the upper Pembina would never be reopened in my lifetime.
Some of you oldtimers will remember Deerlick, Wampus and Eunice...they were closed for Forestry study purposes over 50 years ago...they have never reopened.

One point of interest...AEP are on record stating that the driver of the grayling decline is "not likely attributed to any one user"

So...if in fact the statement above is that the fishery has not recovered is accurate....then one can conclude that sport fishing is not one of those drivers.
Old 04-01-2023, 09:15 AM

2023 regs say it is still closed.
Old 04-05-2023, 08:27 AM

The local bio says there is recovery but they wanted to give it a little more time. Hopefully next year it will be open but you could always call Mike at the Edson office and give him your thoughts.
Old 04-05-2023, 09:02 AM

I grew up fishing the tri creeks road, have always wondered about Eunice, Deerlick, and Wampus. I've never really had an urge to fish them, just curious what populations are like relative to Antler, Mary Greg, Neat etc
Old 04-12-2023, 10:20 AM

[QUOTE=highwood;4624779]I grew up fishing the tri creeks road, have always wondered about Eunice, Deerlick, and Wampus. I've never really had an urge to fish them, just curious what populations are like relative to Antler, Mary Greg, Neat etc[/QUOTE

Normally the populations are quite good and much higher than Antler and Mary.
These creeks are the key brooding areas for the Athabee bows and allow the population to survive. The creeks should never be open .