Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-28-2023, 08:09 AM

Smile Refreshing this chat

Never mind about the morals of native vs non native fish stocking or stocking of waters with non native fish into a water body that only supported suckers and pike.

Has the ice come off and if it has, are there any confirmed dead rainbows?

Yes, I too have been fishing police lake for 40 years and for the record, I enjoy catching big fish, especially on floating boatman patterns in the fall.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:48 AM

Thinking out loud..Maybe a Probono lawyer.Might look into,this travesty.Lakes aerated issue must get settled with ACA.They work for us fisheran.F&W used to aerate these lakes.They[ACA] get hunrdeds of thousands,to do this..
Go Fund acc't To hire a lawyer..Hire a different contractor,than ACA..Buy the aerators,the ones at Police are outdated[they say].Bubble aerators are used in MB.Where they aerate,year round..
Old 04-28-2023, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Government waste and neglect at its finest.
Yep, Alberta has gone downhill fast since the 80s in terms of funding Fish and Wildlife.Absolutely pathetic. Walleye may be the only success story, of course this is to the Pikes demise.
Old 04-28-2023, 11:56 PM

according to other fishing thread
Ice still on Police Outpost as of today 10:00 am
Old 04-29-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59whiskers View Post
All trout lakes that are stocked should be catch and keep fisheries. That could take pressure off native fish in streams on the east slopes. Seen lots of winter kill fish wasted over decades in the spring time on many stocked trout lakes in Alberta.
Oh boy, there are two C&R lakes of 800.
What a big problem
Old 04-30-2023, 08:43 PM

Default Confirmed massive winter kill@Police

Discussed on another site, at least 100 dead rainbows, Not looking great.sigh
Old 05-04-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Lannie; Why is it so wrong,to have a handful[1 hand].Of QSF scattered around the prov.It gives fellow fishers ,the op to catch,perhaps there PB. That is not 8-9" long.IMO there should be more...
Agreed Tallieho.

There is nothing wrong with this. But the meat crowd who want to keep 5 stocker trout per day, and then fill their freezer, only to have that ziploc bag of protein suffer massive freezer burn 6-12-24 months later cause they forgot about it...these folks tear their tunics, and pop their carotid arteries because AEP / ACA had the gall to convert one of their beloved lakes to a QSF!!!? It's sad and funny at the same time...

Haven't done the math...what is the ration of QSF lakes to meat lakes? 1:15? 1:25? More??

There are plenty of "family friendly" (This as often used a euphemism for "let's fill the freezer like we did with tiger trout at Black Nugget when their was no limit") trout fisheries. Plenty. Lots of places where you can keep 3 to 5 stockers. Per day. The province does not lack for catch and kill, put and take fisheries.

And then, ironically, the catch and kill crowd want to show up at Muir, and Beaver, now Cow to fill the freezer with what...BIG trout. Too. Damn. Funny.

Meaning what exactly?

Well...it would appear that there IS a DEMAND for QSF in this province! Yes?

Anyone want to ask Don to remind us how many boats he's counted at Beaver mid-week? How many boats I've counted at Muir?

The demand for opportunities to catch big trout is enormous. There should be way more QSF lakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59whiskers View Post
All trout lakes that are stocked should be catch and keep fisheries. That could take pressure off native fish in streams on the east slopes. Seen lots of winter kill fish wasted over decades in the spring time on many stocked trout lakes in Alberta.
No, I disagree, I think that is exactly wrong. Total C and K stillwater fisheries in this province will add pressure. Fly fisherman go through stages in life where they want to catch BIG fish. The QSF lakes take pressure OFF our flowing waters by giving fly fishers a chance to catch 4 to 10 pound trout in stillwaters. With the sole exception of bull trout, the chances of catching a trout over 4 pounds in a river is quite small. Bow river is a possible exception of course, though it's having its challenges as well.

We need QSF lakes to decrease pressure off our flowing waters in the Eastern Slopes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
Maybe now they will put it back to the way it was.... a family campground and you can keep what you catch... The trophy boys might have to find another pond to dominate.
^This point of view is exactly why the AEP / ACA have such a tough time. Because people only think of fisheries for themselves, instead of realizing variety and balance is key in serving Alberta's diversity of anglers. S.M.H.

Is it really such a hardship that Police was converted to a QSF? Really?
Old 05-04-2023, 08:04 PM

Ahhhhh Smitty, quit making sense

All that you said and do people really eat the trout from these stocked ponds?? I have one within a few kms of home and only tried one once....and never again. Most foul tasting and mostly tasteless fish I've ever had.

I guess if I wait with a dip net at the stocking truck and catch them before they hit the water, I might be in for a treat then....
Old 05-05-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
The province needs to put it back to the way it was. If it never could support a population of naturally occurring fish let it go. Quit stocking with fish that aren't indigenous to the lakes and put the money into the habitat where our native species struggle.
I guess that what your saying .Is the stocking ,of fish is wrong .So by adding,in some cases 400,000 walleye to a lake,is not helping fisherman success.Whether it be time,recreation or $ put back in the municipalites..That's right these qsf,bring people in,from hundreds of miles away.Some needing lodging,food,gas etc.
Stocking fish also saves the wild stocks,that are being decimated.By over fishing.If people,don't start releasing wild fish.There will be no means,of rejuvenating lakes.With either trout,walleye,pike,etc.
Old 05-13-2023, 06:39 AM

Default confirmed police outpost winter kill

just returned from a week at police,its an absolute disgrace,i personally counted over 150 dead rainbows between 18"and 24",and that's only the ones i seen,they just stocked it with 3" to 6" tidillers what a shame,used to love going to this lake,i never seen a fish rise the whole time ,i even put mu rod away and watched for any sign of a decent fish,alas not 1 fish that i could see, i dont know who i need to contact about this but someone should be held accountable
camp guys say it was not aerated because of the liability bull**** ,i dont get it ,it time people took responsibility for their actions,so because some imbacille might die the ( who ever is resopable ) decided a 1st class trout fishery should
be basically killed off ,absolutely disgusted and ****ed off

Last edited by paulw2; 05-13-2023 at 06:41 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 05-13-2023, 09:18 AM

I know that lakes were aerated in the Edmonton area, so the liability concern should not have been the issue with not aerating the lake.
Old 05-13-2023, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw2 View Post
just returned from a week at police,its an absolute disgrace,i personally counted over 150 dead rainbows between 18"and 24",and that's only the ones i seen,they just stocked it with 3" to 6" tidillers what a shame,used to love going to this lake,i never seen a fish rise the whole time ,i even put mu rod away and watched for any sign of a decent fish,alas not 1 fish that i could see, i dont know who i need to contact about this but someone should be held accountable
camp guys say it was not aerated because of the liability bull**** ,i dont get it ,it time people took responsibility for their actions,so because some imbacille might die the ( who ever is resopable ) decided a 1st class trout fishery should
be basically killed off ,absolutely disgusted and ****ed off
Mla for the area,good start.Fisheries staff Shane.Petry@gov.ab.ca
Andreas.Luek@gov,ab.ca ACA https://www.ab-conservation.com/about/contact/
Old 05-15-2023, 03:11 PM

Default Negligence and Shame

Shameful negligence on every level, parks and f&w, so irresponsible and weak. I canceled a camping trip over this, which cost $12. in fees. What are we paying for?!
Old 05-22-2023, 05:22 PM

Spent the weekend at Police Outpost campground, didn't fish this weekend but this is what I heard

Not 100% winter kill but fishing harder this year versus last year

The lake has been re-stocked

Ice fishing in April was good

A biologist checked the lake out and reported lots of good feed especial shrimp

A fisherman caught 4 yesterday and 22 inch the day before all catch and released
His comment was not a lot of fishing being marked especially compared to last year.

Not a lot of boats on the lake I counted 4

I did see fish rise

My take away is the fact fishing is harder this year compared to last

Hopefully after the election we can all send note to the local MLA and who ever will listen
Old 05-22-2023, 08:59 PM

Thanks Gord. All is not completely lost. Only partially, like the fish kill. Maybe they should put tigers in there, maybe they are hardier….
Old 06-04-2023, 09:10 PM

I was down camping at Police this weekend , I didn't fish but no one else did either
There was two boats in the water Saturday and this morning it was absolutely beautiful and one small boat only.
Things have changed, a year ago there would have been a dozen or more out on a beautiful Sunday morning

Rumour was Mr Grizz was walking around one side of the lake, I did not see any signs of bears

Big Chief look great as usual
Old 06-04-2023, 10:45 PM

Unhappy Police Outpost Lake

Sadly 2 or 3 winters ago someone ignored the signs and drowned beside the aerator in the lake so they permanently got rid of it. Which is why all the large trout have basically all died off
Old 06-05-2023, 02:23 PM

Repeat after me: tigers, tigers, tigers….
Old 06-05-2023, 03:41 PM

Might work.Because Brown's & Brook trout both are more tolerant of less oxygen.When compared to Rainbow trout.They are all susceptible to oxygen depletion.
Something to ask your MLA etc. Is why the ACA,still aerates lakes north of Calgary.but can't seem to find,a good reason why Police,Bullshead,Dipping Vat.Arenot aerated.I can just hear Todd's um,um,but but. Kiss my fat ass Todd & the Fisheries mgr...
Old 06-05-2023, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softhackle View Post
Repeat after me: tigers, tigers, tigers….
Repeat after me, write your MLA, write your MLA, write your MLA and yell at them dumb f……s

Don
Old 06-06-2023, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Might work.Because Brown's & Brook trout both are more tolerant of less oxygen.When compared to Rainbow trout.They are all susceptible to oxygen depletion.
Something to ask your MLA etc. Is why the ACA,still aerates lakes north of Calgary.but can't seem to find,a good reason why Police,Bullshead,Dipping Vat.Arenot aerated.I can just hear Todd's um,um,but but. Kiss my fat ass Todd & the Fisheries mgr...
Worked at Bear Pond, ice on until mid May this year and notta tiger went belly up.
Historically winter killed every 4-5 yrs with AG. Worth a try and they grow quickly….
Old 06-06-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softhackle View Post
Worked at Bear Pond, ice on until mid May this year and notta tiger went belly up.
Historically winter killed every 4-5 yrs with AG. Worth a try and they grow quickly….
Then you can twist these guys arms Shane.Petry@gov.ab.ca 0r Emeric.Janseens@gov.ab.ca or Craig.Copeland @gov.ab.ca[cold lake fish hatch mgr]
Of course when ever Danielle,names her Minister & The MLA for Carston
Old 06-06-2023, 10:28 AM

Ok, I have been convinced. I have sent a compelling note to Shane and Craig. Hopefully they can take in some of this feedback and better manage that fishery.
I gotta say I cringe at the thought of those big bad bows all searching the lake for oxygen only to die a slow death. That bothers me more than the loss of the sport.
Old 06-06-2023, 08:27 PM

I think you’re barking up the wrong tree. ACA won’t aerate a lake that prone to chinook effects. The signage and fencing they need around the aerator doesn’t work when the open water area changes so much and is unpredictable, and they won’t aerate without signage and fencing because of liability. I dont think letters to fisheries bios or a hatchery manager will sway the ACA off their position in the face of legal risk and risk to safety.
Old 06-07-2023, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
I think you’re barking up the wrong tree. ACA won’t aerate a lake that prone to chinook effects. The signage and fencing they need around the aerator doesn’t work when the open water area changes so much and is unpredictable, and they won’t aerate without signage and fencing because of liability. I dont think letters to fisheries bios or a hatchery manager will sway the ACA off their position in the face of legal risk and risk to safety.
Just so you know,this lake[police].Is closed,gate is locked .From nov1 to April 1 No trespassing.etc. The county snow plow won't do maintainence in winter.There are ways of cotolling access to the open water.They could use,likke a floating system.They moved the aerator,almost to the other side of the lake.Put it back in the old area,wind doesn't effect the hole[if it even exists.]

Other provinces aerate year round..Many ways to get by this.Brain storm,with those affected by this situation.Don't just look at the manual...
Old 06-10-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Wind…
Gotta agree, rather than using the wind shadow like they did at Hassee, they parked the aeration unit where the wind was the strongest and then to compound the stupid, surround it with a fence designed to break the wind. The best part, they wondered why the wing blew the fence down.
Guess they didn’t want to do the aeration.
What is surprising, the previously used aeration units utilizing the pre-existing electrical supply was not used.

Don