Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-25-2023, 12:08 PM

Default Cow Lake

Hi Guys

I was wondering if anybody has been out to Cow Lake since it opened this spring. Any reports on winterkill?

Was there winterkill? If so, to what extent?

Any updates or information would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-25-2023, 12:17 PM

Haven’t been out yet this year but according to another thread just below yours it seems that there were a ton of big trout and quite a few pike winter killed unfortunately
Old 05-25-2023, 04:46 PM

Haven’t fished this year but went for a test run in the boat before it opened. Lots of big trout on the shore most of the way around. Heard of some smaller pike coming out this year but haven’t bothered putting the lines in yet
Old 05-27-2023, 12:08 PM

Thanks everybody,

I missed the 'Winter Killed' thread.

Guess we'll have to wait till next year!!!!
Old 05-27-2023, 10:02 PM

Everyone whines and howls bloody murder about the 5 trout limit and how fished out it is and there's big trout dead you say? Well I thought it was fished out? What's the big deal? Shoulda been a keep what ever you catch. Horrible waste of protein....flies don't need to eat that bad.
Old 05-28-2023, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Everyone whines and howls bloody murder about the 5 trout limit and how fished out it is and there's big trout dead you say? Well I thought it was fished out? What's the big deal? Shoulda been a keep what ever you catch. Horrible waste of protein....flies don't need to eat that bad.
Great...another ill informed and stir the pot post. Thanks for coming out...not.

Very existence of this is thread shows the interest in lakes that grow big trout and fast. Sport versus food. Cow lake is one of those lakes that can grow them big and fast. Unfortunately not a good lake for longevity with it being that shallow. A few "quality" managed lakes in AB is a welcome thing and obviously wanted here. I don't know what you have against anglers that actually want to catch big fish...

Also, the limit for Cow is standard keep 5 anyways. You might have to ask yourself why it wasn't actually fished out. I would think the answer is there is already enough keep 5 lakes around and the taste of a trout from a lake like Cow is probably horrible enough to stop most from trying a 2nd time. I recall a younger me that kept a 7 lb rainbow from that very lake and shared with a couple of buddies. We tried a bit of it before it hit the garbage can. Never again for me. Most of our pothole lakes they can put as unlimited and it wouldn't change a thing. Those that do still get fished out will still be. Likely better quality water in those ones. That makes the whole 5 keep limit a pointless discussion.

Since you are so "wise", I dare you to keep 5 over 18 inches when it recovers. You can tell us all how great it is.
Send pics...
Old 05-28-2023, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Great...another ill informed and stir the pot post. Thanks for coming out...not.

Very existence of this is thread shows the interest in lakes that grow big trout and fast. Sport versus food. Cow lake is one of those lakes that can grow them big and fast. Unfortunately not a good lake for longevity with it being that shallow. A few "quality" managed lakes in AB is a welcome thing and obviously wanted here. I don't know what you have against anglers that actually want to catch big fish...

Also, the limit for Cow is standard keep 5 anyways. You might have to ask yourself why it wasn't actually fished out. I would think the answer is there is already enough keep 5 lakes around and the taste of a trout from a lake like Cow is probably horrible enough to stop most from trying a 2nd time. I recall a younger me that kept a 7 lb rainbow from that very lake and shared with a couple of buddies. We tried a bit of it before it hit the garbage can. Never again for me. Most of our pothole lakes they can put as unlimited and it wouldn't change a thing. Those that do still get fished out will still be. Likely better quality water in those ones. That makes the whole 5 keep limit a pointless discussion.

Since you are so "wise", I dare you to keep 5 over 18 inches when it recovers. You can tell us all how great it is.
Send pics...
Snapfisher Great comments.If people wouldn't tamper[steal]with the aerators.We might possibly see ,the AB record get broken.From this lake.When this election get's put to bed.I no that i'll be contacting the minister responsible & the MLA for the area...
Old 05-29-2023, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post

Send pics...
Until theres aerators it'll never be more than another alberta slough stocked with put and take rainbow trout. End of story. Thanks for the tips. You should be the boss of the provincial fisheries...or maybe you already are.
Old 05-29-2023, 07:35 AM

Quote:
100% Agree.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Until theres aerators it'll never be more than another alberta slough stocked with put and take rainbow trout. End of story. Thanks for the tips. You should be the boss of the provincial fisheries...or maybe you already are.
Not sure what you don't understand...but then again from the lack of intelligence in your response...I think understanding is generally a problem for someone like you.

I'm not sure aerators would do the trick and I'm not proposing Cow lake to be a quality fishery. That would be a mistake IMHO but I'm happy to hear from someone else that might think otherwise. I've only fished it once and never been back. If I was choosing a quality lake it would be one where it can support fish even without aeration. Good thing we have some of those and I would not complain about seeing more. Clearly anglers want it
Old 05-29-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Snapfisher Great comments.If people wouldn't tamper[steal]with the aerators.We might possibly see ,the AB record get broken.From this lake.When this election get's put to bed.I no that i'll be contacting the minister responsible & the MLA for the area...
Thanks man!

Did that actually happen at Cow with aerators?
I'm still not convinced it is the right lake to spend money on. My concern is the lack of depth. I would think die offs would happen even with aeration. Especially on dry years like we are seeing.