Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 11:38 PM

Default Monster grizzly from saddle hills?

So ive heard of this monster grizlly bear taken in Saddles hills AB. Also heard it's a hoax, Was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this story!

These two gents were calling elk in the Saddle Hills south of Woking when this big guy slipped in on the caller. The shooter spotted the grizzly bear 8 yards from the caller and dropped him with 5 shots out of his 338 Rem Mag. Farmers in the area knew about the grizzly bear but weren’t able to track it after it had killed 3 horses, 5 cows, 13 sheep and a pen full of chickens on several different homesteads in the area.

Fish and wildlife had bear traps set up in the area but noticed on surveillance video that whenever he would enter the trap his hump would hit the top slowing him enough that the trap door would wack him on the head before he was all the way in.

Check out the scar tissue on his face…..

The bear weighed in just under 1300 pounds and would have stood 11 ¾ feet tall on its hind legs…..

^^ Only info i could find!

-Devon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saddle-Hills-Bear_2.jpg (32.0 KB, 1162 views)
File Type: jpg Saddle-Hills-Bear_4.jpg (50.4 KB, 1019 views)
Old 09-25-2012, 11:42 PM
sheephunter

Been on here several times...it's not from Alberta.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:59 PM

Hahaha definitely a big bear i don't know how many times i have run across these photos. I'm no bear expert but i don't think they grow this big out in alberta.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchap22 View Post
Hahaha definitely a big bear i don't know how many times i have run across these photos. I'm no bear expert but i don't think they grow this big out in alberta.
Actually, the Swan Hills and the Lake Louise areas have the potential to produce 1000 lb.+ grizzly bears.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:04 AM

I think I have seen those pics more than 5 times either on here, emails, and other social media. Beast of a bear though.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Actually, the Swan Hills and the Lake Louise areas have the potential to produce 1000 lb.+ grizzly bears.
Actually no they don't and never have. It takes many years with far more prolific protein rich food sources for bears to get that big. Not to mention genetics.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:21 AM

Default Grizllys by bowden?

My uncle has a buddy 2 miles from glenifer lake, And got 2 prey cam pictures of 2 big girzzlys. Didn't think they were out this far east**!?!

Last edited by Country_boy17; 09-26-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:00 AM

That title should chase away the abundance of Elk hunters in the hills.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:57 AM

I have seen this around a few times as well, usually with a different story! lol Just take a look at the trees in the background and then ask yourself if that is anywhere near Woking?
Old 09-26-2012, 01:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_boy17 View Post
So ive heard of this monster grizlly bear taken in Saddles hills AB. Also heard it's a hoax, Was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this story!

These two gents were calling elk in the Saddle Hills south of Woking when this big guy slipped in on the caller. The shooter spotted the grizzly bear 8 yards from the caller and dropped him with 5 shots out of his 338 Rem Mag. Farmers in the area knew about the grizzly bear but weren’t able to track it after it had killed 3 horses, 5 cows, 13 sheep and a pen full of chickens on several different homesteads in the area.

Fish and wildlife had bear traps set up in the area but noticed on surveillance video that whenever he would enter the trap his hump would hit the top slowing him enough that the trap door would wack him on the head before he was all the way in.

Check out the scar tissue on his face…..

The bear weighed in just under 1300 pounds and would have stood 11 ¾ feet tall on its hind legs…..

^^ Only info i could find!

-Devon.
JESUS , never going into the woods again
Old 09-26-2012, 02:10 AM

Quote:
My uncle has a buddy 2 miles from glenifer lake, And got 2 prey cam pictures of 2 big girzzlys. Didn't think they were out this far east**!?!
Reclaiming optimum habitat.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:14 AM
Banned

Its a hoax.
I'm sure that the photos were proven to be shopped years ago.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:03 AM

its true. my friend shot it. he thought it was a moose. fish and wildlife said because of its size, it was an honest mistake and was aloud to keep it. we got 800 lbs of meat off it. mmmm good!..... it took 9 shots from his grampas 30-06 to drop it, and 2 more to put the lights out. my friend now shoots a .308 instead of grampas old undersized rifle. it was sent to taxidermist and when finished, it will be used as a float at wokings canada day parade each year! my friend thinks it would be funny to put a door where his butocks is and let children in to give them rides inside the bear....lol.... I said dont do it! I could use another beer now..... bye.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
its true. my friend shot it. he thought it was a moose. fish and wildlife said because of its size, it was an honest mistake and was aloud to keep it. we got 800 lbs of meat off it. mmmm good!..... it took 9 shots from his grampas 30-06 to drop it, and 2 more to put the lights out. my friend now shoots a .308 instead of grampas old undersized rifle. it was sent to taxidermist and when finished, it will be used as a float at wokings canada day parade each year! my friend thinks it would be funny to put a door where his butocks is and let children in to give them rides inside the bear....lol.... I said dont do it! I could use another beer now..... bye.
I retract this post.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Damn, I got coffee all over the keyboard again.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:40 AM

Couldn't find the real article, but that Grizz was shot on a guided hunt up in Alaska. It's always amazing how stories get twisted.

Stik'em
Old 09-26-2012, 10:28 AM

How many different times has this same bear been shot, Alaska, Saddle Hills, yukon, etc, a legend!!!
Old 09-26-2012, 11:17 AM

Where it was taken its was a massive once in a lifetime
Kill! Props to the hunter who took it, no props to the people who have twisted it up.
-CIL bolt action .308
-Savage model 69E Canadian Sportsmans Edition 12GA Pump.

-Devon
Old 09-26-2012, 11:20 AM
Banned

100% saddle hills

Stay outta the hills.....
Old 09-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
I retract this post.
Too late.
And you owe me a new PC.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:30 AM

Default Bear

Hi Ya Pesky

How goes it --I had a pic of that bear a couple of times -- I thought it was shot in BC -- but stories like all else take a turn .

Im after elk again in the bow zone around home tomorrow night and Saturday --

Youd think that they would be well into screaming and walking all H**** for thier girl friends --the one I keep getting close to I think is on Valium

Happy & Safe Hunting

Cheers

Ian
Old 09-26-2012, 01:18 PM

Default Granum

Quote:
The was a sighting east of HWY #2 /Granum on the friggin prairies no less a couple years ago..........Harold
Old 09-26-2012, 02:34 PM

Can tell you are definately new to the forum site
Old 09-26-2012, 03:23 PM

On a more serious note, what bear defence gun would be best if this brute was coming after ya lol
Old 09-26-2012, 03:27 PM

Apache helicopter
Old 09-26-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedsider View Post
I have seen this around a few times as well, usually with a different story! lol Just take a look at the trees in the background and then ask yourself if that is anywhere near Woking?
I was going to say the same. Those aren't the tress we have in the Saddle Hills.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:12 PM

Saddle Hills?
I think that makes it about 5 different places i have seen this bear shot at!!
Cat
Old 09-26-2012, 07:23 PM

A newfie shot this bear in Tumbler Ridge, BC 4 yrs ago....so the story goes.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:32 PM

I think the biggest griz I have ever seen is mounted in the smithers BC Airport....

The Hungry Hill "Phantom" Grizzly Bear

The bear at the Smither's airport was captured by local Conservation Officers in the fall of 2001. It is believed that this bear was responsible for killing upwards of 30 head of cattle in the Hungry Hill area, which is between Smithers and Houston. The killing of cattle, which occured in calving areas as well as grazing areas, took place over a three-year period.

Some of the cows killed weighed as much as 1500 lbs. (682 kg.). Conservation Officers responded to the kills and set snares and traps, but the bear managed to avoid capture for more than three years. He was able to trigger snares and grab cow carcass without being caught on more than one occasion.

In October 2001, after a rash of new kills, Officers were finally successful in capturing this bear in a cable leg hold snare. The snare, consisting of a spring-loaded cable anchored to a tree, captured the bear by the leg.

As the two officers, Kevin Nixon and Brad Lacey, approached the area cautiously, the bear managed to break the snare cable and charge at the officers. The bear 24 meters from the officers when the snare broke and made it to within 7 meters of them before being shot.

Although everyone involved knew there was a large bear responsible for the predation on the cattle, the size of the bear certainly surprised everyone. This male Grizzly Bear weighed 1012 lbs. (460 kg.) and appeared to be healthy.

It is suspected that he was able to break the snare cable due to the fact that he had weakened it with his teeth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phantom1.jpg (41.0 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg 387625744_faff038055_z.jpg (127.8 KB, 161 views)

Steve In GP

Last edited by Badgoodguy; 09-26-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:16 AM

Thumbs up

If this is in fact not a hoax, then this is indeed a huge bear for this area. I've hunted many years up there & have seen big black bears, but nothing to this extent. Would have been an adrenaline rush to see this up close.
Closed Thread

Tags
bear, elk, girzzly, hunt