Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-06-2015, 07:32 AM

Default still Worth putting in for Bull elk around Suffield??

Hello Everyone

This is my first post on this site. Yahoo. I been hunting in alberta since i was just a wee lad and wanted to pose a question to the folks that are more familiar with the areas surrounding Suffield.

So as everyone is aware of the all of Bulls that were shot this past fall. And i dont want to bring that issue up again as i am sure it has been beaten up pretty hard already. I want to know if it is still work putting in for Bull elk surrounding the base. I have a pretty good Priority for Bull and do no want to waste it. My plan for the last couple of years has been to use it out in that area. But i am not sure now what affect the last Years Bull Harvests will have on the total populations.

Is there anyone who can provide some info on wether i should hold on to my priority or use it now before things get even worse? I could probably get drawn for my first choice and if not definitly my second choice. unless things change durastically! i am talking 2015 fall hunting season.

Thanks in advance to those who respond.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:49 AM

There are still plenty of bulls around there. I think the key issue would be scouting in advance and getting permission from landholders.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:50 AM

8000 plus elk. maybe 500 bull elk shot. I would think there are more than a few around.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:24 AM

Still plenty of bulls around. Scout hard and find animals that are off the beaten path. Permission has been easy in most areas. Good luck!
Old 04-06-2015, 08:26 AM

If rumors like the priority point cap and on base bull season are true. This is definitely the year to cash it in.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:08 AM
Banned

The rumor mill has certainly circulated doom and gloom but for the most part the giants still roam in very strong numbers here. As for permission, this will be the key to anyone's success and the land owners here are not nearly as open as in pervious years for permission...
Old 04-06-2015, 09:22 AM

Well that is reassuring. I will definitly go out and do plenty of scouting and try to get as much permission as possible.

Thanks for the responses.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Banned

i'd say you have 3 or so years left of decent animals

unless we pull and "Alberta" this fall
Old 04-06-2015, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i'd say you have 3 or so years left of decent animals

unless we pull and "Alberta" this fall
Not sure I understand what you are inferring here ? Where do you come up with this "3" year analysis of the area in question ?
Old 04-06-2015, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Not sure I understand what you are inferring here ? Where do you come up with this "3" year analysis of the area in question ?
it's my personal guess

to go into more detail. the herd has been there for a long time but now there is big media attention, farmers crying out for help, base hunts, you name it.

so my prediction a hard winter combined with a disease (maybe one or the other) cuts the herd in half then "supplemental antlerless elk tags anyone? shoot 3 a year each!!" and we have a small herd, no media attention, no farmers employing hunters, and no work for the government.

Last edited by fish_e_o; 04-06-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
it's my personal guess

to go into more detail. the herd has been there for a long time but now there is big media attention, farmers crying out for help, base hunts, you name it.

so my prediction a hard winter combined with a disease (maybe one or the other) cuts the herd in half then "supplemental antlerless elk tags anyone? shoot 3 a year each!!" and we have a small herd, no media attention, no farmers employing hunters, and no work for the government.
Fire is the danger, a big fire on the base will cause serious problems.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-06-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
8000 plus elk. maybe 500 bull elk shot. I would think there are more than a few around.

Yup. Last years harvest was possibly just enough to keep the herd level from increasing this year. The 400 bulls killed last year equates to about 10% of the bull population. There will still be hundreds of old bulls in the herd this fall.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-06-2015, 01:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Fire is the danger, a big fire on the base will cause serious problems.
that's not out of the question either with all the training going on a fire could easily happen they even have their own fire crews for that reason
Old 04-06-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
that's not out of the question either with all the training going on a fire could easily happen they even have their own fire crews for that reason
Fires are a regular occurrence. We have been lucky is SE Ab. and have had good moisture. A really dry year and one bad wind storm could be disastrous.

Having said that, the base is on top of all that stuff, but still accidents happen and things can get out of hand quickly.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-06-2015, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
it's my personal guess

As Walking Buffalo indicated there may have been 10% of the bull population removed by FN and if 3% of these were trophy I would be surprised. Disease is certainly a possibility as we live in a CWD zone here. Not to mention the only reported case of CWD in a moose was just east of CFB on a road kill on the 41.

Regarding the media attention and more pressure, well this has done the opposite where tracks of land are being closed due to the pressure and idiots flocking to this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Fires are a regular occurrence. We have been lucky is SE Ab. and have had good moisture. A really dry year and one bad wind storm could be disastrous.

Having said that, the base is on top of all that stuff, but still accidents happen and things can get out of hand quickly.
You may want to rethink the conditions here, it is dry as heck man... Cypress county issued a fire ban in March as we only got half the moisture needed from the limited snow this winter. I and many are wishing for a wet spring to help as there is no moisture in the ground.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Banned

It could be a good hunt but the Indians are out killing Bulls a week before the season so getting permission and putting one to bed is not much of a plan now.

When are they letting the regular white guy on the base to cull a bull? That's the real question.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
As Walking Buffalo indicated there may have been 10% of the bull population removed by FN and if 3% of these were trophy I would be surprised. Disease is certainly a possibility as we live in a CWD zone here. Not to mention the only reported case of CWD in a moose was just east of CFB on a road kill on the 41.

Regarding the media attention and more pressure, well this has done the opposite where tracks of land are being closed due to the pressure and idiots flocking to this area.

You may want to rethink the conditions here, it is dry as heck man... Cypress county issued a fire ban in March as we only got half the moisture needed from the limited snow this winter. I and many are wishing for a wet spring to help as there is no moisture in the ground.
I was talking generally and for the last few years, although last year was starting to get dry. Yes this winter was fairly dry and this spring has not helped....yet, hopefully we get a good spring.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
It could be a good hunt but the Indians are out killing Bulls a week before the season so getting permission and putting one to bed is not much of a plan now.

When are they letting the regular white guy on the base to cull a bull? That's the real question.
^^^ Incorrect on so many levels it is tough to even respond....
Old 04-06-2015, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
i don't think it's fair what happened but i don't think the fn will responsible for the downfall of "easy" trophy animals in that herd, not a chance, it'll take more than that. i believe we'll all do that together combined with a die off from natural events.

i'm also going to put odds at
1/200 odds on cwd
1/20 odds on ticks/parasites
1/4 bacteria

fell free to add and we can take bets!

$5 on ticks/parasites just because they freak me out

but just based on past examples that's how i think it'll go.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:54 PM

Now the guys who get drawn and don't kill a 400 inch bull will have an excuse as to why they didn't get one....it will have nothing to do with poor planning, not doing their homework or not securing permission

LC
Old 04-06-2015, 11:54 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Now the guys who get drawn and don't kill a 400 inch bull will have an excuse as to why they didn't get one....it will have nothing to do with poor planning, not doing their homework or not securing permission

LC
Nope it will be cause its on the base.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
i don't think it's fair what happened but i don't think the fn will responsible for the downfall of "easy" trophy animals in that herd, not a chance, it'll take more than that. i believe we'll all do that together combined with a die off from natural events.

i'm also going to put odds at
1/200 odds on cwd
1/20 odds on ticks/parasites
1/4 bacteria

fell free to add and we can take bets!

$5 on ticks/parasites just because they freak me out

but just based on past examples that's how i think it'll go.
1/5 due to army related activities, whether accidental(fire, herd running across some lost explosives etc) or on purpose

Tags
2015, alberta, elk, suffield, wapiti