Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Just another reason to fear the Provincial Administrative Penalties Act. When an officer has no fear of having to go before a judge because of his ignorance, will he really care if he charges someone because he doesn't fully understand the regulations in Alberta?
Except this is federal domain.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-05-2020, 07:16 PM

I can sell a raw cape to a licensed taxidermist.
I can sell a tanned cape to anyone.
Why can't I sell a raw cape to a person that needs one for a mount?
Makes no sense when the end result of a raw cape that is a tanned cape.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Except this is federal domain.
There is also the Alberta Wildlife Act that has regulations concerning both the discharge of firearms, and loaded firearms in motor vehicles. A officer could lay charges under that act, and if the Administrative Penalties Act is applied at some point, you could lose your chance to defend yourself during a trial.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-05-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Waterninja would of liked this thread.
Zounds!
Old 12-05-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
You can shoot out your bathroom window from inside your house as long as you live there, or have the occupants say so. Not recommended in rural subdivision’s.
You sure about that? Even in the city?

Seems like a good way to get yourself up schitt creek without a paddle.

(Not lookin to argue, just looking for clarification)
Old 12-05-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
You sure about that? Even in the city?

Seems like a good way to get yourself up schitt creek without a paddle.

(Not lookin to argue, just looking for clarification)
If bylaws don't preclude, and the 200 yd barrier isn’t broken, yes you can.
Hence my not recommended in subdivisions ie. built up areas.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-05-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Officer is wrong. Only requirement for transport of a non restricted firearm while you are in the vehicle is that it is unloaded. It would fairly tough truck hunting otherwise. Some provinces have additional rules like having too be cased after legal light and such, but Alberta does not.
Nope,
But we do have wildlife corridors which require a gun to be cased, disassembled, or locked while passing through.
Much like our national parks.
I've known quite a few guys to get stung on their way home from Grande Cache.
Used to be a favorite checkstop point for F&W.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I'd like to see a link for that please.
Seems ridiculous to me too. by the logic of that any meat left on the bones is a criminal offense regardless of the amount. As the regs state letting the meat be unfit for human consumption is illegal.

My first question is why don't the regs include a section on the laws people forget after the test. Distance from a roadway ect. A good section for first timers.

Why do wmus look like they where drawn by a child with a crayon.

I have more questions about hunting culture here than the laws. Atleast we can choose one of them
Old 12-05-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
Seems ridiculous to me too. by the logic of that any meat left on the bones is a criminal offense regardless of the amount. As the regs state letting the meat be unfit for human consumption is illegal.
I know a guy who ended up shooting a small doe square in the shoulder with a 300 win mag. Completely destroyed that shoulder, all the meat was totally blood shot. When he butchered that deer he pulled off what shank meat he could salvage and gave the bloodshot shoulder meat on the bone to his dog. He gives the dog the leg out in his pasture field next to his house so that the coyotes don’t come sniffing around the yard for scraps. A F&W drives by and sees the dog chowing down on the leg and takes a bunch of pictures. He gets a knock on his door soon after from F&W asking if that’s his dog. Yup that’s my dog, is he ok? Yes he’s fine, here’s your ticket for allowing harvested game meat to become unfit for human consumption.

Buddy went down to the field and grabbed the deer leg back from the dog and tried to show the officer it was ruined meat but the officer wasn’t having any of it. So buddy took a ton of pictures of his own and fought the ticket in court. The judge sided with the officer and he still had to pay the fine. I forget exactly how much it was, but it was over $1000. He had a picture of the ticket saved on his phone and said he framed it and put it up on the wall of his shop. He’s not the biggest fan of F&W nor the government to say the least lol.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:44 AM

With deer, am I 'legal' if I include an udder, or scrotum, and tail, on a long strip of skin that's attached to the leg joint/tendon with the tag, (where the tag can't be removed) if I've sawn off just that portion of the leg from the rest of the body?

I believe that as long as that evidence of sex & species remain attached to the tag, (closed and so that it can't be removed or reused), they can be in a bag separate from the rest of the carcass, as long as that deer carcass remains accompanied by that bag - until it reaches a 'usual' place of residence for butchering.

I often leave the field with much of my deer skinned, deboned, broken down, and in cloth bags, accompanied by a plastic kitchen bag containing proof of sex & species (tail), attached to bone & tendon joint with the tag. Some might say that much of the 'butchering' has already been done in the field. And I take photos - but I've never been questioned - yet!
Old 12-06-2020, 01:03 AM

Often wondered can I butcher my deer while out hunting for a week. As in is that my place of residence while camped there. In early season it can be warm and the days are long. Would I be alright to butcher and wrap it there ?

What if I was out there for a month and brought only deer meat to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and I had 90 packages of last years deer ? What is the difference ?
Old 12-06-2020, 09:26 AM

why do we need to carry the license on ourselves? if we have a tag, we have a license, so what's the purpose of the license to be in my pocket?

why do we need to carry that weird slip sent with the firearms license? what purpose does it serve?
Old 12-06-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Oh my... can only imagine the mess he would create. Like the one he stated where in BC you tag the animal however you first identified it before you shot it . So if you thought it was a doe you tag it with an antlerless even if it was an antlered male! Lol

LC
Old 12-06-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
Often wondered can I butcher my deer while out hunting for a week. As in is that my place of residence while camped there. In early season it can be warm and the days are long. Would I be alright to butcher and wrap it there ?

What if I was out there for a month and brought only deer meat to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and I had 90 packages of last years deer ? What is the difference ?
No you cannot do that, unless the meat stays there or you consume it all while on your trip. Basically you need to “tag” the animal... for transport back to you permanent residence. Can you imagine if your scenario was ok? How many moose would get dropped and “field processed” and then the next weekend... same thing, tag would never get used.

LC
Old 12-06-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Oh my... can only imagine the mess he would create. Like the one he stated where in BC you tag the animal however you first identified it before you shot it . So if you thought it was a doe you tag it with an antlerless even if it was an antlered male! Lol

LC
I still shake my head when I am reminded of that nonsense.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
No you cannot do that, unless the meat stays there or you consume it all while on your trip. Basically you need to “tag” the animal... for transport back to you permanent residence. Can you imagine if your scenario was ok? How many moose would get dropped and “field processed” and then the next weekend... same thing, tag would never get used.

LC
Could a person process all but the hind quarter with tag and species and sex left on it ? Should be no different then deboning an animal ? My main thing would be to just cube up a deer for sausage making. Put it in ziplock bags. I would hope an officer would have enough common sense to be able to tell the difference between one deer and two even if In bags ? Or am I looking for trouble ?
Old 12-06-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:

LC
And that doesn’t fly in BC either but hey it sounds good lol
Old 12-06-2020, 11:40 AM

Had a friend shoot a moose several years ago and we cut it in half (front and back) to hang it in camp.
Had a real super sleuth of an officer show up and berate us about how he could give my friend a ticket because the tag was on the opposite quarter as the one with the evidence of sex. We pointed out that the 2 quarter's were still attached to each other. Lol
In my friend's defence, it was dark and he was alone when he gutted and tagged it. It was a simple oversight, but the law states....
Old 12-06-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemoss View Post
why do we need to carry the license on ourselves? if we have a tag, we have a license, so what's the purpose of the license to be in my pocket?

why do we need to carry that weird slip sent with the firearms license? what purpose does it serve?
... because your tag does not display your ID.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
You can hunt on land that is posted “No Hunting” as long as you have permission or own the land.

You can shoot out your bathroom window from inside your house as long as you live there, or have the occupants say so. Not recommended in rural subdivision’s.

There are no buck tags, doe tags, bull tags or cow tags, only under specific situations calf moose tags, in Alberta. It’s antlered, antlerless, trophy, or non trophy and calf moose.

“Button bucks“ or tiny spikers(<4”) are classed as antlerless game. And yes Virginia if you shoot a “button buck“ and tag it under a supplemental antlerless licence, you best be leaving the head attached.

Unless you’ve got a handicap permit, you cannot shoot from or on a motor vehicle, and yes “gophers“ in your own pasture included.

Feeding wild game meat to you dogs is considered spoilage.
My brother got pulled over after gopher shooting, floor boards were covered in .22 brass. The younger cop questioned it. Told him it was on private land/pasture. Sargent was there and didn't even question it. Let him go.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mmRem View Post
My brother got pulled over after gopher shooting, floor boards were covered in .22 brass. The younger cop questioned it. Told him it was on private land/pasture. Sargent was there and didn't even question it. Let him go.
It's still illegal to have a loaded firearm in/on a motor vehicle, private land or not. Even leaning on the vehicle while target shooting is technically illegal. Whether or not an officer chooses to issue a violation or not, doesn't change that.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:00 PM

Hi guys, I have a question: we are frequent in one area where there are a lot of oil pumps, all crown land around except there is one road that leads to the multiple pumps in the area, the road a few miles long with a short roads branching out and leading to those little pump stations... it has a sign by the oil company stating the name of the company , site number et c and also it says Private Road. I was there first time a few years ago with a very experienced hunter and he told me not to worry about this sign because it is not legal.
I hunted grouse on these road a few times, was seen by the service trucks and nobody ever said anything.
So is it legal or illigal to go there?
Old 12-06-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It's still illegal to have a loaded firearm in/on a motor vehicle, private land or not. Even leaning on the vehicle while target shooting is technically illegal. Whether or not an officer chooses to issue a violation or not, doesn't change that.
I got a 'warning ticket' once, for having a single shot in a .22, leaning against the deep snow treads on a tire, while I was eating lunch on the tailgate. The snow was deep, I didn't want to lay the rifle in the snow, and I was too lazy to remove the shell when taking a break for lunch. I should have known better.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I got a 'warning ticket' once, for having a single shot in a .22, leaning against the deep snow treads on a tire, while I was eating lunch on the tailgate. The snow was deep, I didn't want to lay the rifle in the snow, and I was too lazy to remove the shell when taking a break for lunch. I should have known better.
When I get back to the truck, the first thing that I do is unload my firearm, before I lay it on the box cover as I normally do before casing it.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Haha I love the people that think being on private land eliminates firearms legislation about shooting or having a loaded firearm on a vehicle.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Hi guys, I have a question: we are frequent in one area where there are a lot of oil pumps, all crown land around except there is one road that leads to the multiple pumps in the area, the road a few miles long with a short roads branching out and leading to those little pump stations... it has a sign by the oil company stating the name of the company , site number et c and also it says Private Road. I was there first time a few years ago with a very experienced hunter and he told me not to worry about this sign because it is not legal.
I hunted grouse on these road a few times, was seen by the service trucks and nobody ever said anything.
So is it legal or illigal to go there?
Your friend is wrong . A private road is just that , a road that was built by a lease holder and not with your tax dollars , therefore a private road. Most lease holders will let the public use their roads but they dont have to . A lease holder can charge you to use the road , they can restrict who uses the road and they make the rules on their roads . That said , any roads i was ever involved with we usually left open for the public and hoped that the "road hunters" would act responsibly and give right of way to the traffic that is supposed to be there , not dump their garbage , and not shoot up our equipment etc . There were some that were chronic problems with vandalism , theft or garbage dumping that we did block or barricade .
Old 12-07-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
If bylaws don't preclude, and the 200 yd barrier isn’t broken, yes you can.
Hence my not recommended in subdivisions ie. built up areas.
Exactly - if hunting around subdivisions, you need to be aware of the local bylaws, and they aren't necessarily easy to find.

Years ago, I was invited to a friend's property to take care of some problem deer. I reached out to the county, and provided the land location. They happily provided the relevant documents regarding weapons discharge for that area.

As it turned out, based on the wording of the law, even the landowner/occupant couldn't even so much as fire a slingshot within 200m of one of their buildings. It was interesting, because the wording very closely resembled the general provincial law, but because of the addition or omission of a word here and there, it was much more restrictive. Whether it was intentional or simply carelessness on the part of the lawmakers, it's hard to say.

Being a smallish property, it very much limited where I could hunt on the property, even with my bow.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
Your friend is wrong . A private road is just that , a road that was built by a lease holder and not with your tax dollars , therefore a private road. Most lease holders will let the public use their roads but they dont have to . A lease holder can charge you to use the road , they can restrict who uses the road and they make the rules on their roads . That said , any roads i was ever involved with we usually left open for the public and hoped that the "road hunters" would act responsibly and give right of way to the traffic that is supposed to be there , not dump their garbage , and not shoot up our equipment etc . There were some that were chronic problems with vandalism , theft or garbage dumping that we did block or barricade .
Thank you very much for the info! So if the sign says “private road” but it doesn’t say No Hunting, No trespassing etc it would be ok to enter? Or do I have to call and ask for permission to enter? There was no phone number on that sign...
As for some idiots shooting up the equipment- if I see anything like that, I will be the first one to call the cops!
Old 12-07-2020, 10:50 AM

Wink Don't take unnecessary chances, clean up after yourself

Quote:
I'm not aware of any law against having recyclable metals or garbage on the floor of your vehicle?
Unless they witnessed him breaking a law, they have no grounds to issue a ticket; their reasoning would be circumstantial at best. Besides, some LEO's are willing to overlook supposed infractions due to issues (crop losses) facing agricultural producers in their areas. Just so long as the subject doesn't set off their Spidey senses. Like, being incredibly ignorant, or taking a shot while they are watching.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 12-07-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
That's the funniest post ever posted....in history.

Looper

Tags
hunt, law, question, unsure