Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-28-2022, 08:44 PM

Default ISO Guide for resident mulie/antelope hunt

I'm thinking about booking a Resident Mule Deer/Antelope hunt in Southern Alberta for the fall and looking for recommendations for a guide. I am open to a fully outfitted hunt, a mostly self guided hunt, or something in between. I have all the gear and experience to do it myself, just don't have the time to scout and properly prepare.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2022, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsgod View Post
I'm thinking about booking a Resident Mule Deer/Antelope hunt in Southern Alberta for the fall and looking for recommendations for a guide. I am open to a fully outfitted hunt, a mostly self guided hunt, or something in between. I have all the gear and experience to do it myself, just don't have the time to scout and properly prepare.

Thanks!
Can't give you any guides names right now but I don't imagine there's a ton of them that are doing resident hunts you want to find those ones first, check out APOS you can get there Outfitters catalog mailed to you good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2022, 07:34 AM

Interesting topic when you mention guided antelope hunt .
When or if you find a guide , do they supply a tag or do you need to get one on your own which takes you about 12 years or better .
Old 12-29-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post

When or if you find a guide , do they supply a tag or do you need to get one on your own which takes you about 12 years or better .
As a residential Alberton you'd have to have your own tag, they had a two-year thing for covid where you could use Outfitter tags but I think that has past.

Old 12-29-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
You don’t need a draw, that’s the fun thing about apos and their system people can pay an outfitter to hunt thing’s every year that residents are only able to hunt every 15-20 years (think antelope, moose in the sw, elk in certain areas).also their allocations are t changed year to year, they are set up in 5 year increments. Remember a few years back when the SE had a bad winter killed off a lot of antelope? Outfitters had more tags than residents in several areas because their number of tags wasn’t affected by the die off, for a couple years, fun for a system that is supposed to only give the less than 10% of the tags. Not even going to get into how the tags are split up in different zones.
Old 12-29-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
You don’t need a draw, that’s the fun thing about apos and their system people can pay an outfitter to hunt thing’s every year that residents are only able to hunt every 15-20 years (think antelope, moose in the sw, elk in certain areas).also their allocations are t changed year to year, they are set up in 5 year increments. Remember a few years back when the SE had a bad winter killed off a lot of antelope? Outfitters had more tags than residents in several areas because their number of tags wasn’t affected by the die off, for a couple years, fun for a system that is supposed to only give the less than 10% of the tags. Not even going to get into how the tags are split up in different zones.
You need a draw if you are a Alberton res ,You can not buy a non res tag off a outfitter except for 2021 2022 because of covid ,Not sure if this is still in effect
Old 12-29-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
As a residential Alberton you'd have to have your own tag, they had a two-year thing for covid where you could use Outfitter tags but I think that has past.

I have 14 years priority so I shouldn't have a problem pulling a tag in most areas...
Old 12-29-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I have 14 years priority so I shouldn't have a problem pulling a tag in most areas...
Should be good to go just got to find an Outfitter but they're really not that hard of a hunt spend a couple days in the summer scouting and you'll have an antelope opening morning

Old 12-29-2022, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Probably looking at 5:00 to 6,000 Canadian

Old 12-29-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
You need a draw if you are a Alberton res ,You can not buy a non res tag off a outfitter except for 2021 2022 because of covid ,Not sure if this is still in effect
Sorry I thought I had implied that, yeah outside of the Covid exception the last few years most guys from Alberta will only ever hunt antelope or other above mentioned hunts a couple times in their life meanwhile anyone else with money can hunt every year.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Sorry I thought I had implied that, yeah outside of the Covid exception the last few years most guys from Alberta will only ever hunt antelope or other above mentioned hunts a couple times in their life meanwhile anyone else with money can hunt every year.
Yes I was in the industry for a long time and that's always been a sore spot with me residents should be first

Old 12-29-2022, 09:16 AM

Not sure if he's taking any residents, but give Seth Duncan a call at Trust the Land Outfitters. Worth checking on at least as he's consistent with quality mulies and antelope.
Old 12-29-2022, 11:36 AM

Not hard shooting one at all by noon on opening day . Not sure why you would want to hire a guide for antelope hunting . Normally you drive around the day before and locate one and shot him the next morning .I will be heading out this year also . This one will be number 5
Looks like it will be a solo hunt again . Do you need a partner ?
Old 12-29-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Not hard shooting one at all by noon on opening day . Not sure why you would want to hire a guide for antelope hunting . Normally you drive around the day before and locate one and shot him the next morning .I will be heading out this year also . This one will be number 5
Not going to find a better answer/offer than that. If you dont end up partnering up with JR. Take a couple days off before the opener to scout and obtain permission is all it takes to be successful. As with any hunt; the more work you put into it the better chance for a true giant. Not a hard tag to fill with a rifle with minimal scouting.

good luck.
Old 12-29-2022, 08:25 PM

To hunt both at same time the mule deer tag would probably have to be an archery tag.
Old 12-30-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Appreciate the offer. I'll pm you
Old 12-30-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
To hunt both at same time the mule deer tag would probably have to be an archery tag.
Yeah I never checked the season dates yet, just assumed they would overlap. Rifle hunter so we might have to do 2 trips instead.

Tags
antelope, guide, hunt, mule deer, outfitter