Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-21-2023, 08:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default 2023 Kayak Thread

Thought that since we have many members who just luv their Yaks and can’t wait to get out to have a one stop go to thread.
Share your Yak set ups, makes, models and of course the adventures that we all enjoy with our Yaks.

My current set up!

Wife added a Hummingbird 5 to her yak this year which will be a game changer.

And of course just adventure yaking which is good for the soul!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-21-2023, 09:53 AM

Wink

We are currently running Pelican yaks,
Catch 110 and Strike 120x angler.
Mine is on year three of use, get out two to three times a week on it for full day 8hrs plus, no issues to date. The other is on year two and is used once a week again full days on the water.
Lots and I mean lots of fish caught in them and many miles paddled soooo looking forward to this season.
If you have any tips or tricks please share, always modifying and adjusting things, not sure if it is a sickness or bad habit!

Old 04-21-2023, 03:55 PM

I am presently Kayakless for two more weeks

Order has been delayed and I sold our other kayaks
Old 04-21-2023, 09:12 PM

I'm pimping out my new inflatable Hobie iTrek9'Ultra-light' - waiting for the ice to melt. It's basically a 30 lb SUP, with Hobies famous Mirage pedal drive, and a lawn-chair. It's my 5th Hobie over the past 25 years!
Bixpy electric prop motors offer a kit that drops in and suspends their motor down through the Mirage Drive well. It has a wrist remote for speed on/off/reverse, so you can still use the rudder control. When you run out of juice, pull it out, slip in your Mirage drive unit, and pedal home. Sounds like fun - if we ever get out of this winter,....
Old 04-22-2023, 12:17 AM

I think there's a kayak Facebook thing for up to the minute play by play, here is a picture of me in my kayak kinda stuff. Thanks tho. Kinda like lake trout, ya seen one kayak, ya seen em all.
Old 04-22-2023, 07:13 AM

We're more canoe people, but in the something of the same vein.

034-1 by , on Flickr

territories039 by , on Flickr

DSCF1535 by , on Flickr

DSCF1583 by Cal bablitz, on Flickr

DSCF1036 by , on Flickr
Old 04-22-2023, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
I think there's a kayak Facebook thing for up to the minute play by play, here is a picture of me in my kayak kinda stuff. Thanks tho. Kinda like lake trout, ya seen one kayak, ya seen em all.
Same as any other fishing boats they are the same yet very different. Being fastest growing form of fishing the options and various different kayaks is pretty extensive

There is a reason prices vary from a few hundred dollars to almost 10k

Just like anything else some have a passion for it well others just don’t understand it
Old 04-22-2023, 07:51 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I am presently Kayakless for two more weeks

Order has been delayed and I sold our other kayaks
You gotta post up some pics, ya got two beauty yaks coming

Old 04-22-2023, 07:53 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I'm pimping out my new inflatable Hobie iTrek9'Ultra-light' - waiting for the ice to melt. It's basically a 30 lb SUP, with Hobies famous Mirage pedal drive, and a lawn-chair. It's my 5th Hobie over the past 25 years!
Bixpy electric prop motors offer a kit that drops in and suspends their motor down through the Mirage Drive well. It has a wrist remote for speed on/off/reverse, so you can still use the rudder control. When you run out of juice, pull it out, slip in your Mirage drive unit, and pedal home. Sounds like fun - if we ever get out of this winter,....
Wow eh, game changer for a full day on the water.

Old 04-22-2023, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
We're more canoe people, but in the something of the same vein.

034-1 by , on Flickr

territories039 by , on Flickr

DSCF1535 by , on Flickr

DSCF1583 by Cal bablitz, on Flickr

DSCF1036 by , on Flickr

Man that brings back memories right there, got the old Coleman canoe still bought it in 1982....it was our affordable family boat, kids, wife, lab and gear all out on the water.....crazy looking back but man we were rich on life and had a ton of fun.

Got into kayaks three years ago and absolutely luv that type of water recreation.
Fishing, exploring or just kicking back.

Old 04-22-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post

Ya but my yak is special just like me…

Here is a yak laker for ya!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-22-2023, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Man that brings back memories right there, got the old Coleman canoe still bought it in 1982....it was our affordable family boat, kids, wife, lab and gear all out on the water.....crazy looking back but man we were rich on life and had a ton of fun.

Got into kayaks three years ago and absolutely luv that type of water recreation.
Fishing, exploring or just kicking back.
Yeah, my grandfather gave me an old canoe when I was 12, and that was a total game changer for me. Eventually I replaced it with the Mad River which has probably done over 5000 KM by now in 4 different provinces, hauled several metric tons of moose and elk meat out of the bush, helped raise 2 daughters, and caught more fish than I could possibly even remember.

Now we have a Nova Craft canoe too, and fishing 2 to a canoe generally works better for us than all 4 of us fishing in the boat. I keep meaning to give kayaks a more serious try, but canoes are such an elegantly simple solution to so many different problems.
Old 04-22-2023, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Yeah, my grandfather gave me an old canoe when I was 12, and that was a total game changer for me. Eventually I replaced it with the Mad River which has probably done over 5000 KM by now in 4 different provinces, hauled several metric tons of moose and elk meat out of the bush, helped raise 2 daughters, and caught more fish than I could possibly even remember.

Now we have a Nova Craft canoe too, and fishing 2 to a canoe generally works better for us than all 4 of us fishing in the boat. I keep meaning to give kayaks a more serious try, but canoes are such an elegantly simple solution to so many different problems.
My ol'canoe was bought in comox on the island, lake fishing, ocean fishing and rivers too....literally all over BC, Alberta and Saskabush...now toss in mule deer hunts on the South sask river and moose hunts up a Hudson bay a very durable versatile piece of equipment that has weathered many adventures....even used as a makeshift pool to cool off in the summer and rode down many snow covered hills too.

Buy yourself a kayak and give that a go too, I find now I prefer just taking the yak out.

Old 04-23-2023, 07:36 PM

Quote:
My ol'canoe was bought in comox on the island, lake fishing, ocean fishing and rivers too....literally all over BC, Alberta and Saskabush...now toss in mule deer hunts on the South sask river and moose hunts up a Hudson bay a very durable versatile piece of equipment that has weathered many adventures....even used as a makeshift pool to cool off in the summer and rode down many snow covered hills too.

Buy yourself a kayak and give that a go too, I find now I prefer just taking the yak out.
I've rented them on vacations before, and while I can see their obvious advantages, overall I've never liked them as much as canoes.

I've often wished I could rent one up here for a couple weeks just to see if my mind could be changed.
Old 04-23-2023, 08:50 PM

My kayak adventures only last an hour or so then my back and hips start to kill me but my wife is obsessed with kayaking. She is planning on going from Abraham lake to drayton valley this summer.
Old 04-23-2023, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
My kayak adventures only last an hour or so then my back and hips start to kill me but my wife is obsessed with kayaking. She is planning on going from Abraham lake to drayton valley this summer.
Some pretty decent rapids in there at some flow levels. Mind you, we had an elk, 10 days camping gear for two, and some expensive hunting gear onboard both times which made it seem more stressful and less fun. One year the water was lower I think, loaded heavy we did as much bailing and lining as we did paddling. I remember there being a few sections that year that even on a straight up canoe trip, I likely would have unloaded any camping gear before trying to run them.

Last edited by Bushleague; 04-23-2023 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2023, 02:34 PM

I dont go too crazy with cutting or drilling into the kayaks. basic scotty rod holders. Milk crate in the back to hold tackle. built in factory rod holder for kayak net.

Make sure the join western canadian kayak fishing trail on facebook to join kayak derbies.

Also Alberta Kayak Fishing on facebook page to fish with other kayak anglers

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 04-25-2023, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
I dont go too crazy with cutting or drilling into the kayaks. basic scotty rod holders. Milk crate in the back to hold tackle. built in factory rod holder for kayak net.

Make sure the join western canadian kayak fishing trail on facebook to join kayak derbies.

Also Alberta Kayak Fishing on facebook page to fish with other kayak anglers

Thanks, just did, more to follow peoples set ups and what worked and didn’t.

You gotta get back on the horse and start pumping out the yak vids.....luv the island ones as it brings back memories up and down the island in a canoe back then.

The yanks are now ready for first ice off

Pike bay here we come.

Old 04-30-2023, 01:16 AM

I use an Evoke Algonquin. Not really a fishing specific kayak, but has rod holders and tracks so I can mount extra rod holders and a fish finder. I’ve been using it more and more lately and I like that it’s easy to get into smaller lakes that don’t have good launch’s for my other boat. That’s the only pic I have of it… sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3134920F-D674-43ED-95FD-E87C0E9F204F.jpg (27.4 KB, 70 views)
Old 05-01-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmered View Post
I use an Evoke Algonquin. Not really a fishing specific kayak, but has rod holders and tracks so I can mount extra rod holders and a fish finder. I’ve been using it more and more lately and I like that it’s easy to get into smaller lakes that don’t have good launch’s for my other boat. That’s the only pic I have of it… sorry.
Looks like a blast, funny how catching in a kayak just seems to make everything feel like a monster
Got towed around by a beauty laker a few years ago that went 33 inches which took sometime to win the battle.
Looking forward to many more this upcoming season.

Old 05-01-2023, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Looks like a blast, funny how catching in a kayak just seems to make everything feel like a monster
Got towed around by a beauty laker a few years ago that went 33 inches which took sometime to win the battle.
Looking forward to many more this upcoming season.
You got that right! I’m going to have to figure out a net situation for the kayak. Handling initially by hand I feel like is going to give me a piercing somewhere I don’t want one!!!
Few more weeks and I’ll have the dust washed off!!
Old 05-01-2023, 05:21 PM

Quote:
You got that right! I’m going to have to figure out a net situation for the kayak. Handling initially by hand I feel like is going to give me a piercing somewhere I don’t want one!!!
Look into the yak attack paddle holder. It mounts to your track and can be used to hold the net handle
Old 05-01-2023, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Look into the yak attack paddle holder. It mounts to your track and can be used to hold the net handle
Awesome thank you.
Old 05-01-2023, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Awesome thank you.
Ordering one for myself to hold a big pike/musky net. Basically laying the net on the bow and clipping in the handle to hold it in place

There is likely other options especially if you are using a smaller net. Just need to search for what will fit your needs. Odds are if you check out kayak stores like Aquabatics you will find some options
Old 05-02-2023, 06:27 AM

Quote:
I see your from Cold Lake, back bays are opening up, May 15 our Yaks will be out taking advantage of the lunkers lurking in the shallows.
Between big pike and walleye it’s always a blast in the yak then a short paddle out to 50-60 fow for the laker bite too

Waiting like a kid for Xmas

Old 05-02-2023, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I see your from Cold Lake, back bays are opening up, May 15 our Yaks will be out taking advantage of the lunkers lurking in the shallows.
Between big pike and walleye it’s always a blast in the yak then a short paddle out to 50-60 fow for the laker bite too

Waiting like a kid for Xmas
Yes I can’t wait!!! I work the first few days after it opens, but will be hitting up French bay morning of 17th and then Bourque in the evening. French bay has been pretty shallow last few years. Would rather kayak it then take my fishing boat in there. I don’t want to end up on qualified captains page!! Haha
Old 05-08-2023, 10:48 AM

Folks where do you buy most of your accessories at? Kinda just looking for additional add ons like storage crates etc.
Also what has worked and what to stay away from. The wifes kayak has a rail system on both sides, be it hard plastic but heard that when trolling the rails can fail when you get a good strike so looking at replacing them with metal rails.
Anyone go down this route?

Old 05-08-2023, 11:04 AM

Pacific Yak angler. Has some great metal rail systems. Was located in BC but has since moved to the Caroline area.
Old 05-08-2023, 11:18 AM

Aquabatics is another option for accessories but when and doubt Google then buy from wherever is the best price
Old 05-09-2023, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Aquabatics is another option for accessories but when and doubt Google then buy from wherever is the best price
Yeah been searching, sometimes that ends up in a purchase of an item that is just crap so thought I would ask here to see what people have used in the past, what was good and what wasn’t.