Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-26-2023, 11:23 AM

Post Lever action rifle choice

Looking at adding one more rifle to my collection and want some opinions . It will be used mostly as a bush deer gun but also a throw it on the pack when out camping. lever action, iron sights. What caliber would you choose and why. Currently looking into a 45 colt, 357 mag, or 44 rem mag. Want to be a little different then all my buddies with 30-30’s so that’s why I am venturing into more of a pistol cartridge out of a rifle. Let me know your thoughts!
Old 04-26-2023, 11:55 AM

I like the 44 mag, I had one in a winchester, and a marlin.
But I finally settled on a ruger77/44 bolt action.
its lighter, stainless synthetic, and has a great rotary mag.
Nothing wrong with the lever, I just like the little ruger better.
44mag will kill anything you want to as long as you keep the range reasonable.
Now don't listen to the guys that say keep it under 75 yards.
I have shot several deer at 200 yards with mine, and I have handgun hunted with the 44 in the states and have shot a few at over 100 yards with a handgun, and it puts them down fantastic.
Sure 75 yards is great, but it can go further than that and kill stuff just fine.
I liked the marlin more than the winchester, though the winchester was amazingly accurate. And I got talked out of it one night over a few rums with a buddy.
Old 04-26-2023, 12:55 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I was in the same boat a few years ago, searched high and low but found a JM stamped Marlin lever action in 44rem mag.
Fantastic rifle and cartridge for exactly what you want out of it.

Boom flop!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-26-2023, 12:55 PM

Of those 3, I'd go with the .44 mag as the most capable in a lever. Especially if you have a revolver already in .44

You didn't mention if you had handguns in any of those cartridges, it would also have a bearing on the decision for me.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-26-2023, 01:33 PM

go for the 44 mag, kills great. should be sutable for most big game out too 100 yards
Old 04-26-2023, 03:42 PM

I settled for a 44 mag as well last year.

Bought a Jm stamped marlin, which was nice, but ended up getting a henry Xmodel and sold the marlin. For my usage I prefered the Xmodel synthetic stock.

Had it out for bear last fall, but as it works was not able to run across one when I was out with it.

I load the 240 gr XTP hollow point for game and practice with the campro at the range for plinking. Vx 2-7x33 sitting on top with the rimfire moa reticle so I practice out to 200 y with it.
Old 04-26-2023, 05:14 PM

I’ve owned a few and shot a bunch

357 is low recoil and cheaper ammo, when you can find it. Ok for deer, but you need 180 gr hard cast (HSM most common here) for camp/bears.
44 mag is good all around, but gets expensive if you don’t reload
45 colt is underpowered and pointless unless you have a revolver as well.
45-70 rules the big bore game.
450 marlin, at max loads intended to stop a pizzed off griz, is no fun at all, but I have no doubt the griz would like it less.
308 is 308. But when you compare it to old cartridges, it can look attractive.

1873 is probably the fastest lever action of all time, but not strong. It’s preferred in cowboy action games, that’s about it.
1892 was made for pistol length cartridges. Adding length decreases reliability. Some work, some don’t. The Henry is slick, heavy, and adult male sized. Hard to find in Canada new, used show up now and then. The rossi is shorter, lighter, short lop, more drop at comb. Great for youth or females, doesn’t point right for me. Wish it did though, light and handy.
Marlin 1895 in 45-70 is about as good as it gets but good luck finding one.
winchester 88 in 308 is a damn fine bush gun, and the BLR is available in more cartridges to match whatever else you own. Both are made well but a nightmare to work on if you need to.

You can stick to 16 inch barrels in the pistol cartridges. Bottlenecks or big bores under 18 will severely damage your ears without protection.

The libs want to ban anything over 5 rounds, if you have your heart set on a pistol caliber lever you’d better get it sooner than later.
Old 04-26-2023, 06:49 PM

Default Pistol rounds for lever guns......

OPINIONS are like noses, we ALL have one !!!

If you want something a little different, go with .45 (LONG) COLT.

Do a little research and you will find that the .45 colt CAN be loaded to surpass the .44 MAG round or shoot regular loads .............

nothing ''lame'' about the .45 COLT.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:24 PM

I'd recommend the triple 4

But I don't want everyone owning one.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2023, 09:06 PM

You don't want to be like your buddies with their 30/30, go with a .35 Remington. (I know not on your list). Think 3030 on steroids. 200gr bullet vs 170gr, .358 vs .308 diameter bullet. Sold mine several years back to get a 336 with a full-length magazine and then all lever guns disappeared or went sky high in price and haven't had the chance to find one again. On my unicorn list! Took mine elk hunting multiple times, unfortunately never came across an elk. I can attest that it will Amtrak deer!
Old 04-27-2023, 08:54 AM

Unfortunately don’t own any handguns…. My rpal showed up too late after the gun freeze so matching calibers isn’t an issue. It appears that the general consensus is that 44 mag is going to be my best bet for an all around rifle. I appreciate everyone chiming in it helps a lot. If anyone has any other calibers they think top the ones I listed like 3blade and fordtruckin did i am more then happy to hear those out as well. Thanks again everyone.
Old 04-27-2023, 10:27 AM

Default big bore!?

I've been packing around a model 94 big bore for a truck/bush gun as of late.
375 winchester ( glorified 38-55 in my book) packs enough punch to handle anything in a crisis. Mine is mounted with a redfield peep for quick sighting, deadly out to 100 yards with no issues.
Have yet to use it on any big game (too many others to "blood" first) but it is a great choice for anything from beaver control to problem bears.
Old 04-27-2023, 03:17 PM

I have a Winchester 94 top eject in 30-30, buckhorn open sights, pretty accurate out 150 yards even with my old eye's, it's 50 years old this year, I mostly just packed it when I was pushing bush while deer hunting with the boy's, it shows a bit a wear from being packed and hauled around but I would bet it doesn't have 100 rounds through it.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-27-2023, 08:22 PM

I have owned a nice group of pristine JM Marlins, but have sold off all but my 1894 in 44 magnum. It’s light, compact and easy to carry. It’s currently sporting a pistol red dot sight which makes shots to 100 yards a slam dunk. I also have a S&W 629 that uses the same ammo which makes for a lot of fun at the range.
Old 04-27-2023, 09:10 PM

45-70 is always fun. Just as different as pistol cartridge. If you handload it can go from mild to heavy loads rifle depending.

I like iron sights, one thing to consider on whatever rifle you choose is aftermarket sight replacement. Going from a buckhorn style rear sight to an aperture or peep style can help with shooter accuracy. A really thick front bead or post that can be changed helps too. A decent iron sight setup makes rifle more fun.
Old 04-28-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot82 View Post
Unfortunately don’t own any handguns…. My rpal showed up too late after the gun freeze so matching calibers isn’t an issue. It appears that the general consensus is that 44 mag is going to be my best bet for an all around rifle. I appreciate everyone chiming in it helps a lot. If anyone has any other calibers they think top the ones I listed like 3blade and fordtruckin did i am more then happy to hear those out as well. Thanks again everyone.
A 44 mag is on my list of lever gun wants, but I'd rather have the .35 Remington. I am hoping Ruger/Marlin will make one in the new 336. I figure it will take a couple years to get caught up to demand. OR they're purposely keeping demand high by doing limited numbers. Who knows.
Old 04-28-2023, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I was in the same boat a few years ago, searched high and low but found a JM stamped Marlin lever action in 44rem mag.
Fantastic rifle and cartridge for exactly what you want out of it.

Boom flop!!!!

I have been looking for one of these for a very long time.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 04-28-2023, 03:14 PM

a day with a lever is a good day! I was same, could not decide...soo
30/30 Winchester carbine
45/70 Marlin guide
357/38 Uberti
45 colt Rossi
-- I'd do another lever, probably another 45 colt or 44 mag
Old 04-28-2023, 10:08 PM

I'd get the 30-30. If you want to be different, put a bipod on it.
Old 04-28-2023, 10:24 PM

If you want to be different get a Marlin 1895 CBA 45-70, 18.5" barrel. Don't see many of them around. I have the 1895 CB with the 26" octagon barrel, it's very accurate for a lever gun and fun to shoot. I've taken 3 mule deer does with it

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020140337

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."
- Bob Hagel
Old 04-28-2023, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Or a scope. Except for what huntinstuff said about that.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-28-2023, 11:01 PM

Default Lever action rifle choice

For a slim feeling, easy packing, quick shooting lever I would take a marlin 1894 in 44 mag every time. It makes the 336 feel like a pig.

Old 04-28-2023, 11:55 PM

A couple favourites. .35 Remington JM Marlin. Wouldn't overly recommend unless you handload. Pretty close to 30-30 close range ballistics, due to the very low factory pressure. This was because of the old Remington autoloaders out there. Can get a couple hundred more fps with a full case of Lever. I wanted something a bit more than 30-30, bit bigger bullet, nicer for cast, and some fellas report good performance with .357 pistol bullets too. Does fine on deer, and bigger.

Henry in .44 Magnum. If you don't handload, I'd pick this over a .45 Colt, though I favour the .45 slightly. Big holes, big fun. Have a bunch of in-between handloads a bit hotter than .44 Special and regular magnum start loads. With a fast powder and the 20" barrel it's barely louder than a .22 LR. This is the gun I probably grab the most for going for a walk. I actually like the ease of the under barrel loading. Anthony Imperato, after much hounding gives us the choice of having a side gate. I artificially aged all the brass on this one. I won't scope this one, and would recommend a steel frame gun if you wanted to do that. One day I'll put on a Skinner peep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170406_043034.jpg (79.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171015_010307.jpg (48.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180217_030020.jpg (45.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180309_125026.jpg (77.0 KB, 29 views)

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 04-29-2023, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

Lots of ways to make your 30-30 different then the run of the mill cowboy rifle

My Marlin 336 30-30

Old 04-29-2023, 08:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
For a slim feeling, easy packing, quick shooting lever I would take a marlin 1894 in 44 mag every time. It makes the 336 feel like a pig.

Have to agree....it just feels right and looks great too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-29-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot82 View Post
I’d agree the 44 mag seems to fit your wants. That marlin 94 coiloil posted is pretty sweet. Marlin isn’t making them and both Marlin and Henry used are going for around $2g on gunpost.

Only reason 45-70 tops it on my list is I often hunt/camp/fish alone and have a very high “adequate gun” idea in mind, in case I end up fighting a bear by myself.
Old 04-29-2023, 04:56 PM

Don't discard the 30-30win. it's a great round! Got this one in the 80's. Still use it today! Have tried several caliber's thru the years 30-30, 375 win, 38-55,
444rem, 4570, still use the 30-30, but it's up to you! Shot with a Trapper Model!
Old 04-29-2023, 07:31 PM

I been following this post mostly just to see if anyone has the same thoughts as me. I have a Winchester Lever in 32 winchester Special or better known as W.S. Does it for me on whitetails.
Old 05-03-2023, 09:01 AM

Recently came across a new Browning BLR....in 308
Just about impossible to find so i scooped it.
Havent had time to sort it out but love the feel and lightness of it.
Being a lefty and having to swap shooting left/right due to eye surgeries its probably a good gun for me.
Old 05-03-2023, 10:06 AM

Savage model 99 in .300 sav. Strong, reliable, accurate, and "cool".