Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-17-2015, 11:23 AM

Default Who fishes glass rods

If you use glass what are you using?
The Kenney 835 I have is terrific.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:35 PM

People with glass rods shouldn't throw rocks...wait...that doesn't make sense...
Old 02-17-2015, 03:09 PM

I have a few
Redington butter stick 4wt
Nice Lil rod cast great

Echo 7wt glass spey rod
Such a wicked rod really bombs line out !

And I have a blue halo 5wt
It has become my go to rod !
Old 02-17-2015, 05:04 PM

Can't decide if I want to switch to a blue halo tried one at the fly expo seemed really good
Old 02-17-2015, 05:58 PM

Default Glass

Have a Fenwick, a couple of Phillipson's and a Berkley. Just ordered a couple of Mountain Brook Blanks that should be here any day.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 02-17-2015, 11:51 PM

Started fishing graphite and went through a St Croix Imperial and a few Redington CT rods before cluing in that glass rods had the feel I was looking for both while casting and with a fish on.

Most of my fishing now is with the Orvis Superfine Glass 476. LOVE that rod for dries or little nymphs.

Streamer chucking is done with an Epic 686 I built a little over a year ago.

I have a lineup of Eagleclaw Featherlite rods that are handy for loaners or for the kids or myself if I'm going somewhere prone to falling and breaking rods. Decent rods and can't beat the price.

I have 3 other blanks to build up, hopefully for this season, but need to finish my house chores first. 2 are vintage blanks, a Browning Silaflex 322975 (7'6" #6) and another that I'm quite certain is a Fisher blank built for another company like Winston or Hardy but it's not labeled. I think it will end up being a #5/6 and is 8'. The last blank is an Ijuin Yomogi 7' #3.

I live in Crowsnest Pass and find myself a little under gunned by the wind from time to time but the Epic 686 has some good punch and is still quite delicate for dries being that it's a glass rod.

I spend far too much time on the Fiberglass Flyrodders forum and following the Fiberglass Manifesto blog.

Would be fun to meet up with some other glass geeks!

Interested to see some pics of that Kenney rod!
Old 02-17-2015, 11:53 PM

Lornce,

What mountain brook models did you get? I've been looking at those as well.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:47 AM

I've heard the Epics are on the fast side of glass. I've got a James Green that is a lot softer slower rod. Waiting on a 8'3" 5/6 Steffen I'm excited to try out. Apparently Marks blanks are magic.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWDK View Post
Lornce,

What mountain brook models did you get? I've been looking at those as well.
After chatting with Mike he is sending me the 4/5 w 3pc "Spring Creek" and a 2 piece 6 foot 4 wt. that is a new roll that he is trying out. All his blanks and rods look good. I tried out a Spring creek fishing with a buddy in BC and it was crazy cool for dries.

Fishing Regulations

Last edited by Lornce; 02-18-2015 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:21 AM

Jwab, a new Steffen...... I'm jealous. Lots of people talk about their 5/6 rods as being the ultimate all around trout rod.

As far as Epic being fast for glass, the only one I have cast is the 686. When compared to the eagle claw Featherlites I have or my Dad's 8'6" #7 Fenwick it's certainly faster with plenty of power. That being said, it still feels like a glass rod with more flex than a graphite rod. I've used it tossing little dries to some 6-8" trout and still got some bend like you would expect in a glass rod. I've heard the 4' #8 is a slower rod compared to the others in the series. Would like to try their new #10 on some pike!

Lornce, I saw mountain brook was looking at putting out a natural/white finish model. I may jump on those when they come out. I need to build some "feminine" rods for my girls and figure some pink/purple thread would be the ticket on a white blank. I hope you post some pictures of your builds!
Old 02-18-2015, 06:58 PM

I fish a couple

Old 02-18-2015, 07:38 PM

Did you order the Epic blank directly from them? Or is there somewhere local that has them? I'm kind of intrigued by them, but don't know if I should go for the kit they offer or just the blank.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:48 PM

I got the Epic blank from Custom Flyrod Crafters in the US. I picked it up when the Canadian dollar was a bit stronger and there was a 15% off sale.

The kits do look nice. I've been considering the #10 rod in a kit but doubt that will happen anytime soon. Too many other financial commitments at the moment. The dishwasher broke down, central vacuum motor fried and my 6 year old tossed the remote control through the flat screen TV all in one week! I need to go fishing and de-stress
Old 02-19-2015, 06:08 AM
Banned

Central vacuum probably has a toast fuse, I "fried" mine but turned out to be just a cheap safety fuse.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:10 AM

Just brought my new build out on her maiden voyage, didn't land any but I love the action on my 7' 4wt angler's roost glass blank ($25).

Just wish it wasn't butt-ugly orange though... might have to pick up a blue halo blank
Old 02-21-2015, 02:47 PM

Which Kenneys do you have Taco? I'm waiting on an 866. I wanted just a bit more power for the bigger water.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:50 PM
Banned

I have with a Browning Rod and a Bogdan reel for Atlantic Salmon on The Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec . Some of the best memories of my life.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwab View Post
Which Kenneys do you have Taco? I'm waiting on an 866. I wanted just a bit more power for the bigger water.
835 and a 794 also am waitin' on a 866, next will probably be the 733. Smooth power is the only I can describe casting a Kenney
Old 02-21-2015, 07:54 PM

I was thinking about the 794. How does it compare to the 835?
Please convince me I don't need it.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwab View Post
I was thinking about the 794. How does it compare to the 835?
Please convince me I don't need it.
You don't need it you need both.

Fishing Regulations
Old 02-21-2015, 09:00 PM

I have the 835. It's really nice all around. Do you use the 794 more for dries?
Old 02-21-2015, 10:15 PM

Dries yes but I use the 4 more or less like the 5 just smaller waters smaller fish smaller flies. I even swing small streamers with it. Works excellent on the brookie streams, fish downstream in the morning swingin' muddlers etc, fish back in the afternoon tossin' dries. With the 3wts then you are lookin' at a rod strictly more for smaller dries.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:28 PM

I use an Echo Glass 4WT for fishing small streams and rivers and dry flies i absolutely love it! paired it with a really nice Orvis reel and it is amazing!