Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-15-2016, 09:26 PM

Default Beginner fly rod recommendation

I'm thinking of getting a 14 year old a fly rod for Christmas. He's never fly fished before. I hate buying the "cheapest" of something, but am wondering if any of you folks have any suggestions of what I should be looking for. Would probably use it more for fishing pike from a kayak rather than typical stream fishing trout. Thanks for any advice you could provide.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:25 AM

I bought each of my daughters the Orvis Clearwater combo rods. They come with the rod, reel and line and are a great value. I don't hesitate to use their rods as they have great action and especially for a kids rod, they have a great warranty.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:23 PM

Wholesale sports on line catalogue gives several choices

http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...od-reel-combos

A good starting point is a 9'0" Rod for a 5 or 6 weight.

Don
Old 09-18-2016, 11:05 PM

TFO NXT combo has been an absolute workhorse. Still end up going back to it even tho I own many other rods. I have the 5/6 but would recommend the 4/5 for an up and comer.
Cheers
Old 09-19-2016, 12:04 AM

Guys note how he says most likely used for pike. If you are buying a pike fly rod you need something different then if buying a trout fly rod.

For trout I would go with a 5 or 6 wt.

For pike 8 wt minimum maybe a 9 depending on the size of streamers you plan on using. Some people even use a 10 wt. The very odd person uses a 6 wt but you will struggle to cast pike flies and if you hook a big pike will be in trouble.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
I'm thinking of getting a 14 year old a fly rod for Christmas. He's never fly fished before. I hate buying the "cheapest" of something, but am wondering if any of you folks have any suggestions of what I should be looking for. Would probably use it more for fishing pike from a kayak rather than typical stream fishing trout. Thanks for any advice you could provide.
Fly fishing for pike is awesome.

I hate to be the debbie-downer, but I would be very reluctant to buy a complete newbie the gear to fly fish for pike if they have never done it. Basic fly fishing for pike is actually more complicated than fishing for trout, despite the fact that catching pike is easier than catching trout.

Pike require a minimum 7wt rod, with an 8wt being most appropriate for Alberta. If you are going north of Edmonton (particularly in Saskatchewan), you may want something heavier, like a 9 or 10wt setup.

Pike flies are big (which is why you need a heavier rod). They are also somewhat expensive. Even the best pike flies basically disintegrate after 20-25 fish.

Pike require specialized leaders. There are commercially available pike leaders, but they are not readily available unlike your de-facto trout leaders. You can certainly piggy back on conventional tackle, but you will need to know basic knots (a loop knot to attach your leader to line and a terminal knot to attach your leader)

Finally, fly fishing from a kayak is not easy. In general, fly casting takes 50 hours of practice to become basically competent. Sitting in a boat diminishes your leverage by 50%. Furthermore, to really augment pike fly fishing, a good double haul is incredibly valuable for punching big pike flies. A double haul is an advanced fly casting technique.

The 8wt rod used for most pike fly fishing is a workhorse. It is used in windy and adverse conditions. It can be the tool to catch bass, salmon, steelhead, bonefish, and pike. Very diverse. Out of all the rods I own, an 8wt is my most valuable rod. Because the 8wt deals with the biggest flies in the most adverse conditions, it needs to perform in the most adverse conditions.

Here is the 8wt shootout:
https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/ge...-mystic-reaper

It is a lot of gobbly-gook, but you can take-away that the best rods cost lots of money, but a really good rod does not need to break the bank.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Guys note how he says most likely used for pike. If you are buying a pike fly rod you need something different then if buying a trout fly rod.

For trout I would go with a 5 or 6 wt.

For pike 8 wt minimum maybe a 9 depending on the size of streamers you plan on using. Some people even use a 10 wt. The very odd person uses a 6 wt but you will struggle to cast pike flies and if you hook a big pike will be in trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Fly fishing for pike is awesome.

I hate to be the debbie-downer, but I would be very reluctant to buy a complete newbie the gear to fly fish for pike if they have never done it. Basic fly fishing for pike is actually more complicated than fishing for trout, despite the fact that catching pike is easier than catching trout.

Pike require a minimum 7wt rod, with an 8wt being most appropriate for Alberta. If you are going north of Edmonton (particularly in Saskatchewan), you may want something heavier, like a 9 or 10wt setup.

Pike flies are big (which is why you need a heavier rod). They are also somewhat expensive. Even the best pike flies basically disintegrate after 20-25 fish.

Pike require specialized leaders. There are commercially available pike leaders, but they are not readily available unlike your de-facto trout leaders. You can certainly piggy back on conventional tackle, but you will need to know basic knots (a loop knot to attach your leader to line and a terminal knot to attach your leader)

Finally, fly fishing from a kayak is not easy. In general, fly casting takes 50 hours of practice to become basically competent. Sitting in a boat diminishes your leverage by 50%. Furthermore, to really augment pike fly fishing, a good double haul is incredibly valuable for punching big pike flies. A double haul is an advanced fly casting technique.

The 8wt rod used for most pike fly fishing is a workhorse. It is used in windy and adverse conditions. It can be the tool to catch bass, salmon, steelhead, bonefish, and pike. Very diverse. Out of all the rods I own, an 8wt is my most valuable rod. Because the 8wt deals with the biggest flies in the most adverse conditions, it needs to perform in the most adverse conditions.

Here is the 8wt shootout:
https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/ge...-mystic-reaper

It is a lot of gobbly-gook, but you can take-away that the best rods cost lots of money, but a really good rod does not need to break the bank.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Both good posts with good advice.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-19-2016, 09:53 AM

A wholesale sports streamside Rod might be a good start!
Old 09-19-2016, 12:28 PM

Camdec,

Not too sure where you are, but Pieroway Rods in Calgary had non name branded rods that they built at a pretty good price. Give Geoff a call to see what he has, and definitely call before you drive over to his shop because more likely than not the doors will be locked. Explain to Geoff what you are looking for, and I am sure he can do you right.
I have 2 Pieroway Rods
JH
Old 09-21-2016, 08:28 PM

Thank a lot folks for your advice. Some great info. RavYak is correct in that generally speaking looking for beginner (not a bank breaker) rod for lake fishing pike/walleye. Slave lake in particular. We do lots of fishing from the boat but thought it would be fun for my 14 yr old to do something a little different.

One question I had that seems to be answered is that there is no such thing as a "universal" rod that would be best suited for the above as well as stream/lake fishing for trout.

Thanks again
Old 09-22-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
Thank a lot folks for your advice. Some great info. RavYak is correct in that generally speaking looking for beginner (not a bank breaker) rod for lake fishing pike/walleye. Slave lake in particular. We do lots of fishing from the boat but thought it would be fun for my 14 yr old to do something a little different.

One question I had that seems to be answered is that there is no such thing as a "universal" rod that would be best suited for the above as well as stream/lake fishing for trout.

Thanks again
Fly fishing for pike is super fun. It took me a few years, but I can now match my gear-using friends fish-for-fish.

As far as a universal rod goes---not so much for fly angling. What mostly dictates the size of the rod you use is the size of the fly you are casting...mostly. Salmon, for example, need a much stronger rod to fight despite the fact a much lighter rod could cast the flies. You could fight most Alberta pike with a 6wt, but it is very difficult to spend a day casting a pike fly on a 6wt. An 8wt rod can be used to catch arguably the most diverse cross section of Canadian fish. The heaviest rod I will use for trout is a 6wt. The lightest rod I will use for pike is a 8wt. There is a fairly significant difference between a 6 and 8 wt rod. Pick a species that dominates your fishing and stick to it.

Everybody who loves fly fishing eventually seems to pick up another rod. I personally have 4wt, 5wt, two 6wts, and two 8wts. I regularly fish for pike and trout. An 8wt is great for pike and walleye.

What is your honest-all-in-budget? Take into account you will need to spend $30 on flies, $30 on leaders/leader materials. For fly fishing gear, I would not be afraid to buy some second hand gear---it is a great way to get top-quality gear for intro prices.