Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-09-2016, 08:54 PM

Default Canadian National Fly Fishing Championships

I had the pleasure of fishing with/against some of the best rods in the country this week at the nationals in Merritt BC. It was an awesome experience, I learned a lot and had a lot of fun. Only my second competition but it's a very addictive aspect of the sport!

Thanks to all the organizers and volunteers who made it such a great event

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 10-10-2016, 08:02 AM
Banned

Please tell us some of what you learned.
Also, since this is a competition, how did you perform?
My understanding of the event is that while several top level fly fishermen participate, the event is open to any and all. I may be mistaken.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
I had the pleasure of fishing with/against some of the best rods in the country this week at the nationals in Merritt BC. It was an awesome experience, I learned a lot and had a lot of fun. Only my second competition but it's a very addictive aspect of the sport!

Thanks to all the organizers and volunteers who made it such a great event
Awesome to hear - how did you do?

Cheers
Old 10-11-2016, 02:30 PM

My team got 3rd place

while it is open to anyone, for the most part the anglers are all very skilled and I was happy with my 27th place finish out of 45.

most of the stuff I learned is top secret competition circle stuff mostly some loche style fishing tips that aren't really that pertinent to day to day angling anyway. There were some very difficult venues though, and sometimes some out of the box thinking was required to put fish on the scorecard. The inclement weather really drove home the point that a fly or technique which works one day may not work at all the very next, and a lot of people suffered as a result of that

Old 10-11-2016, 04:40 PM

Merrit is a really nice venue for sure. I did some fishing out near Princeton did really well. Even though the water flows the wrong way
Old 10-11-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
Even though the water flows the wrong way
:haha:

two of the lakes (corbett and batsone) were private pay lakes. Corbett was awesome, fish were stocked in there at 2lbs+ so every one I got was bigger than 45 cm

Old 10-12-2016, 06:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
My team got 3rd place

while it is open to anyone, for the most part the anglers are all very skilled and I was happy with my 27th place finish out of 45.

most of the stuff I learned is top secret competition circle stuff mostly some loche style fishing tips that aren't really that pertinent to day to day angling anyway. There were some very difficult venues though, and sometimes some out of the box thinking was required to put fish on the scorecard. The inclement weather really drove home the point that a fly or technique which works one day may not work at all the very next, and a lot of people suffered as a result of that
Well done. Sounds like a fun experience.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
My team got 3rd place

Very impressive. I would have finished out of the top 45 easily!

Do you have any pics to share?

Thanks for sharing your story, great to read!

Cheers
Old 10-12-2016, 04:46 PM

Corbett Lake is a great place. First fished there in the late 60's when I was a worm dunker. Is Peter McVey still running the resort?
Old 10-13-2016, 07:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Corbett Lake is a great place. First fished there in the late 60's when I was a worm dunker. Is Peter McVey still running the resort?
The "60's". How was the dunkleosteus fishing?
Old 10-13-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
I don't recall the name but I believe it was a newish owner. Wife's name Ann