Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-16-2009, 03:46 PM

Default Phyllis Lake Ice

Anyone been to Phyllis Lake recently? How much Ice? Any Luck?
Old 12-16-2009, 03:57 PM

was out there just over a month ago and there was a good 4-5 inches of solid ice with no snow on it then so i would almost say its dam close to driveable by now.... all we caught was suckers but we seen a huge rainbow swimmin nice and close to shore... im thinkin bout goin down there maybe this weekend.... its either there, burntstick or gull i think... wat u goin out there to target the bows or the perch? i wouldnt mind a shot at that big bugger we saw there and maybe a bucket full of perch to
Old 12-16-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard_azz View Post
was out there just over a month ago and there was a good 4-5 inches of solid ice with no snow on it then so i would almost say its dam close to driveable by now.... all we caught was suckers but we seen a huge rainbow swimmin nice and close to shore... im thinkin bout goin down there maybe this weekend.... its either there, burntstick or gull i think... wat u goin out there to target the bows or the perch? i wouldnt mind a shot at that big bugger we saw there and maybe a bucket full of perch to
We're usually after the bows. I'd like one of those big guy's myself but usually we only catch the 15 - 20cm ones, which is still fun when you land 30+ in a day!The perch are fairly small, at least the ones we caught were. Last year I saw a woman pull a Rainbow out that was just a hair over 41cm and I talked to a guy who showed me a picture of a 9lb rainbow he caught there that same year. I can't confirm the weight but you could tell in the picture it was a hog. The fish stocking report said they put 70 bows that were 70cm average and another 70 bows that were 80cm average in there just this last spring/summer. That doesn't include the hundreds of little ones they put in there every year!
Old 12-16-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty P. View Post
We're usually after the bows. I'd like one of those big guy's myself but usually we only catch the 15 - 20cm ones, which is still fun when you land 30+ in a day!The perch are fairly small, at least the ones we caught were. Last year I saw a woman pull a Rainbow out that was just a hair over 41cm and I talked to a guy who showed me a picture of a 9lb rainbow he caught there that same year. I can't confirm the weight but you could tell in the picture it was a hog. The fish stocking report said they put 70 bows that were 70cm average and another 70 bows that were 80cm average in there just this last spring/summer. That doesn't include the hundreds of little ones they put in there every year!
oh wow i didnt realize they put that many big ones in there this year.... the one we saw had to be over 60cm easily.... just a big ole hog... saw quite a few smaller ones swimmin round to but all we could hook into was some dam suckers... wat usually keeps them bows bitin out there in the winter? i have always wanted to try some bucktails or even some beadhead flys but i never really go out for trout in the winter.... suggestions??
Old 12-16-2009, 04:33 PM

We have always just used bait on Phyllis (worms, shrimp and powerbait. Maggots work great for the perch.) but I find that the fish just inhail bait which can make it difficult to remove the hook without doing any real harm to the fish you wish to put back. I have been told to try some egg patterns or leach patterns or even some streamers but I haven't tried any of these yet myself. If anyone else reading this thread has some advice on ice fishing WITHOUT bait, I would love to find some other ways of targeting all types of fish, especially since there are so many lakes that have bait bans.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty P. View Post
We have always just used bait on Phyllis (worms, shrimp and powerbait. Maggots work great for the perch.) but I find that the fish just inhail bait which can make it difficult to remove the hook without doing any real harm to the fish you wish to put back. I have been told to try some egg patterns or leach patterns or even some streamers but I haven't tried any of these yet myself. If anyone else reading this thread has some advice on ice fishing WITHOUT bait, I would love to find some other ways of targeting all types of fish, especially since there are so many lakes that have bait bans.
I tried a prince nymph for perch at Enchant, ended up with a smaller rainbow and had a much larger one to the top of the ice also on it, so they should work at Phyllis. put a maggot on it and the perch will eat it too.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-16-2009, 10:03 PM

right on guys thanks.... i just might go give it a shot out there on the weekend.... or maybe somewhere else... tight lines guys