Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-05-2023, 09:57 AM

Default Incredible Algae at Calling Lake!!

Was out at the cabin for the long weekend. Saturday was too rough but we tried to fish anyway! We gave up and headed in.

Sunday after the pancake breakfast at the Community Center we finally set out. The algae was so thick on the east side that the tackle and the line and the rods were quickly "gooped"

Water level is incredibly high but we have had a very hot summer. Wind has been steady Northwest to Southeast, so it is pushing all the algae to the east side. Normally the Calling river flushes out the algae from the lake, but that has not happened or has not happened enough.

A Friend did report success with bottom bouncers and dew worms trolled in the deep off of VW point, but it has been a pretty tough weekend for fishing.

Drewski
Old 09-05-2023, 10:36 AM

Ya it was absolutely disgusting in under 15’ and not much better even farther from shore, even on the south side near the PP boat launch on Sunday.
I did find success as well with a bottom bouncer and worms but needed to clean the gear off about every 15min or so until the wind and rain started.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:47 AM

The strange part is that the creeks and the Rock Island River all flow from Crown Land so it is not a case of a high Phosphate level like what is found on a number of other algae prone lakes.

Calling did not get a blue green algae listing this summer, but apparently the bird poop caused a fecal colliform warning on McIntyre Beach last week.

Drewski
Old 09-05-2023, 12:20 PM

Calling Lake has a large drainage area and is considered highly productive or hyper-eutrophic. This is its natural state, but more of the land in the drainage has been managed for pulp production in recent decades. Phosphorous flow to surface waters increases when forest is harvested or land is cleared. Nutrient loads can also spike following fires.

Anyway, this is usually the worst time of the year for algae in the lake and it should get better soon.

https://alms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2...1_20220506.pdf
Old 09-06-2023, 08:18 PM

Default Phosphorous flow increases when forest is harvested

"Phosphorous flow increases when forest is harvested"

Im curious (so they tell me )... why is that? Is it from fertilize/phosphorus from logging operations or is it from something else?
Old 09-06-2023, 10:46 PM

There’s a double-whammy effect. Trees tie up nutrients like Phosphorus, so when removed, less P is used by plants for a while (until reforestation occurs). The activity usually increases bare soil and runoff, which liberates nutrients and increases the amount and rate of transport into waters.
Old 09-07-2023, 05:28 AM

Got a terrible algae bloom on a lake here in Southern Alberta , to the point that we lost a cow I fear from the toxins released ..so today we electric fence it off so we can graze the rest of the field..nowhere in Lethbridge to test the water and according to Ag Fieldman they are sure the algae is the culprit. . The health unit says they can't test private land water bodies for it , which I believe is an absolute joke .

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2023, 06:11 PM

I too was up on the weekend and the fishing was not good and the algae was as everyone else has stated. My cabin got broke into yet again, but thats a whole other story.
Now to my point. Lake Watch ( they are government funded, and maybe through the Alberta conservation association, but don't quote me on that) does up to three separate water testings each year on Calling lake in open water. They use Calling lake as a base line lake specifically because historically it has very little little impact from agriculture, industrial, human and forestry activities. I have volunteered my boat and time to take them around the lake so they can take water samples, etc in specific locations from shallow to deep water.
They say that the lake has its variables in organics, contaminates, chemistry, and clarity from year to year, but it is a tight band. The lake is considered very stable, healthy and therefore very valuable to be the "canary in the coal mine" for all lakes in north central Alberta.
I'm no scientist, but with the very high water this year, it makes sense that a lot of organic matter has entered the water which adds to the food that algae loves. Also with rain being the biggest contributor to the water levels, it has also brought up the temperatures, which again gives the advantage to the multiple species of algae.
Now, to be clear I only pacify myself fishing between hunting seasons, so please help me here. I still don't get where all the fish go, or do they just shut down under these conditions? Every year August-Sept are tough months to catch anything in Calling lake. Why????
Old 09-09-2023, 08:39 PM

Default Calling Lake Algae

Was out to VW Point today and seen some blue algae. Some people were getting some fish .
Old 09-14-2023, 09:12 AM

I was up at Calling a couple weeks ago and the algae was like this. I'd only ever seen it like this once before. It was like driving your boat through mud. It was so bad that I caught one walleye on a spinner rig, and I couldn't even reel it in because my rod tip plugged up, had to handline it in. I did end up catching a lot of fish though; stopped counting at 70 and then it picked up again after that. Jigging was the only way you could fish though, and still constantly having to clean the goop of your rig. Catching that many fish is not normal. Seems like there's getting to be too many fish in the lake again and they aren't looking overly healthy. Not looking as skinny as they were about 12 years ago, but my fear is that it will be getting that way again.
Old 09-14-2023, 12:24 PM

There really is no reason to allow 2 walleye in the slot at Calling Lake.

It seems that the fish are reproducing prolifically as in the Winter you will catch lots of under 30 CM walleye when targeting perch. Alot are the size of perch!!

Then there are lots in the slot and plenty above the slot, so no logic.

The Bios know this fact from their test net samples that show a very solid age class distribution and considerable numbers as well.

Instead, the walleye eat everything else, and then there are no Pike recruitment, which is an obvious cause and effect problem.

But Bios do as Bios do. The sin of catching, keeping, and EATING a walleye must be punished in Alberta. Remember, sport fishermen are only tolerated.

Drewski
Old 09-15-2023, 12:54 PM

Well spent all day on a windy Calling yesterday. Managed 4 walleye all day in areas where I usually do much much better...so lets not go running to hit the "Fish Em All Out" button yet. There are great days and slow days. It all averages out.
Old 09-15-2023, 01:08 PM

Thorne,

It really depends on what you were using as to the results you enjoyed at this time of the year.

We were at Maligne last weekend and caught well in excess of 20 on the Friday and 11 on the Saturday.

Others caught nothing.

Fishing success is not a true indicator of fish population. If so, the 100 + fish days in June and July would more than justify the "fish them all out" button.

But if you want to have good success in the fall, and sometimes great success, there is a technique that will work, but the algae is the impediment right now.

All the same, I hope you enjoyed a sunny day on the lake!

Drewski
Old 09-15-2023, 06:18 PM

Catch, don't catch...lol...any day on the water is a "Great Day" my friend! We probably could of tried a few more techniques....or spots, but having the entire lake to ourselves...not a single other vehical in the boat launch, well as the Commercial says...."Priceless!" LOL...
Old 09-17-2023, 09:01 PM

Thorne,

I was at the cabin painting the deck, etc all weekend. The Algae is still very bad. There must have been a very serious storm in the last couple of weeks. Lots of new beach wood, and about a 18 foot log ON my Dock!!!

Part of a broken up dock section was stuck partly under my dock and lots of other stuff blown as well.

The tough part of August - September, is that the water temperature is the same from top to bottom until we start getting frosts.

The fish suspend out in 50 FOW and are usually found below schools of tulibee and whitefish that are within 15 feet of the surface.

Drewski
Old 09-19-2023, 06:52 PM

Oh ya! She was rocking pretty good on Thursday! Could only manage around 10-12 MPH up the lake from PP...fished the north leeward end of the lake all day....probably why the alge wasnt to bad up there....lol, and why the bite was off...no way to fish anything close to comfortable more then 400 yards from the north shore. Made an interesting endeavor to trailer the boat after...but all was good and went well....so ya, I can see all kinds ds of fun stuff heading south...lol
Old 09-20-2023, 12:43 PM

Well... I for one am excited to be heading up for the day on Friday, after the **** summer I've had. Like you guys I have a few favorite spots away from the masses. I will catch one lunker! Don't know if I'll beat my spring best but I'll sure try. Cheers Drew! Fall fishing can be testy but you may get rewarded as well. Can't wait! Along with our river trip will be a fitting conclusion to the summer of smoke.

Last edited by bigrfish; 09-20-2023 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
There really is no reason to allow 2 walleye in the slot at Calling Lake.

Drewski
Yep, we should all keep pushing for this. Would do that lake some good.
Old 09-20-2023, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Yep, we should all keep pushing for this. Would do that lake some good.
Not sure how you managed to either change a quote or copy an old quote.

When it was One Walleye any size, and we moved to the slot, I wanted to stay with one fish of any size.

When it was changed to two fish in the slot, I came to accept it.

When it became one fish in the slot, I disagreed with it given the rather high population of walleye in the lake and the MANY age classes of this high population.

However, there should be tags for the walleye in the 28" ++ range at Calling Lake. These fish are near the end of their life, have replicated their genetics tens of thousands of times, and should be enjoyed by the fishermen before they die or become victim of the "square hook".

Drewski
Old 09-21-2023, 01:04 PM

Just cause there’s many age classes of walleye in the lake doesn’t mean that there shouldn’t be a slot size for fish to be kept. The slot is there to protect young fish and let older fish reproduce so your grandkids kids can enjoy fishing the lake and eating a fish if they choose to.
Old 09-23-2023, 02:59 PM

The slot MAY protect fish, young and old, but when the population of the walleye is impacting all other fish species, balance would dictate that there be 2 fish in the slot, as it was before.

There was no collapse of the population to justify the change to one fish in the slot. The reason was to make enforcement easier for the off lake stops where people claimed that the two fish came from Calling Lake.

That is not fisheries management. Now we are facing too many walleye and skinny fish are being found again at Calling Lake.

The fact of lots of age classes means recruitment year to year, so again that supports increased limits.

Drewski
Old 09-23-2023, 06:36 PM

Quote:
The slot MAY protect fish, young and old, but when the population of the walleye is impacting all other fish species, balance would dictate that there be 2 fish in the slot, as it was before.

There was no collapse of the population to justify the change to one fish in the slot. The reason was to make enforcement easier for the off lake stops where people claimed that the two fish came from Calling Lake.

That is not fisheries management. Now we are facing too many walleye and skinny fish are being found again at Calling Lake.

The fact of lots of age classes means recruitment year to year, so again that supports increased limits.

Drewski
I certainly agree about the skinny fish. Sad when you have to not only try for fish in the slot but also weed through them to catch one with some meat on it.
Old 09-23-2023, 07:00 PM

Quote:

Drewski
Raising the limit for more fish in the slot to be taken out sounds good and I agree they should allow more fish to be harvested out of the lake to protect others species if the population supports the numbers are unbalanced.
Old 09-24-2023, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Not sure how you managed to either change a quote or copy an old quote.

When it was One Walleye any size, and we moved to the slot, I wanted to stay with one fish of any size.

When it was changed to two fish in the slot, I came to accept it.

When it became one fish in the slot, I disagreed with it given the rather high population of walleye in the lake and the MANY age classes of this high population.

However, there should be tags for the walleye in the 28" ++ range at Calling Lake. These fish are near the end of their life, have replicated their genetics tens of thousands of times, and should be enjoyed by the fishermen before they die or become victim of the "square hook".

Drewski
I just kept the part that stood out
But the words are the same you posted. I knew you meant to increase to 2 again as a good thing.
Old 09-24-2023, 01:01 PM

Fished Calling on Friday. Pulled cranks and spoons along the west shoreline. Water was good, fishing was good. Nothing huge but nothing "skinny" either. More than likely males for the walleye. Managed a dozen or so healthy 3-4 pound Northerns as well. A little rough the further northwest with the south wind but manageable. Cheers and here's hoping we're not done yet with open water!
Old 09-24-2023, 07:21 PM

Bigfish,

You have figured out the issue with a water column that is the same from top to bottom, as happens eventually in August.

Walleye do suspend, and deep diving crankbaits that get down 20 foot plus is what is needed at this time of the year when the fish have stopped sitting on the bottom as they do in the spring and summer.

With the weather we have had, it is clear that there is lots of time left before first ice.

Drewski
Old 09-25-2023, 07:24 AM

Well... Calling is always full of surprises. Cranks were running at 11-12 ft. Spoons maybe 6ft. Nothing deeper than 20ft of water. So yes... We were after suspended fish. One of my PB walleye was caught this June with the same crank in 30ft of water. Depends on the conditions I guess. Heading right back up for another 3 days today... See how it goes.
Dean
Old 09-30-2023, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Was out at the cabin for the long weekend. Saturday was too rough but we tried to fish anyway! We gave up and headed in.

Sunday after the pancake breakfast at the Community Center we finally set out. The algae was so thick on the east side that the tackle and the line and the rods were quickly "gooped"

Water level is incredibly high but we have had a very hot summer. Wind has been steady Northwest to Southeast, so it is pushing all the algae to the east side. Normally the Calling river flushes out the algae from the lake, but that has not happened or has not happened enough.

A Friend did report success with bottom bouncers and dew worms trolled in the deep off of VW point, but it has been a pretty tough weekend for fishing.

Drewski
I suspect rather than any flushing process, likely it’s the typical ebb and flow of algae and plankton. As the algae uses up available resources it will die off and settle to the bottom.

If there is a lot of nutrients flowing in you won’t get a die off. Maybe some cabins do not have a great septic field? Run off from agricultural lands or simply this year all the ash falling into the lake from forest fires could charge the nutrients up.

Heavy rains often causes algae blooms as it rains some nutrients as well as flushed nutrients out of the surface soil surrounding the lake.

Next year will be telling.

Hopefully lakes aren’t low and nutrient rich going into winter as it could impact winterkill.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-01-2023, 11:05 AM

CVR has not had an algae bloom this year from what I have seen. Even with the low water level and heat. Lake was pretty clear for the most part. Maybe I was on the wrong part of the lake??