Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-29-2023, 01:23 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
True statement about getting a deeper vee in the garage .... something people don't think about. I have a 1800 Tyee and the windshield clears the door by only a few inches. The motor must be 90% down to clear as well, so I have to stop short, drop the motor until it's only a few inches above the driveway, and back it into the garage. Same is true on the way out, lift it a few inches, clear the door, then tilt it up before the "curb" at the bottom.

Even with a folding tongue that fold right under the nose (nicely cut short) - my 18'6" boat takes up 21'-6' in depth as well - so an "average" sized depth garage isn't going to work in many cases.

Funny you mention this as we were getting our house built the builder sat with us and explained the value of a larger garage and higher doors etc
We listened to him and now looking back sure glade we did .

Now I want a heated shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-31-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
That is where you have to be willing to walk away if it isn't exactly what you wanted. I did a lot of online communication with the owner of the boat I was looking at. Discovered they were the original owners and got lots of pictures. Told them that I was interested but as the boat was listed a month before my trip, that I knew I couldn't ask them to hold it so if it was still online when I showed up I'd get back in contact with them. When we got over there they were nervous to sell because they wanted it to go to a good home. When they saw my wife and son get out of the truck the owner ran inside to get his wife and they were ecstatic it would be going to a young family. They come over from Minnesota and fish Montana once in a while. Told him to look me up and if he ever wanted to take it out fishing he was more than welcome.
Awesome story, great to hear that. Pretty rare these days.
Old 07-31-2023, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Thickness of the plate matters FAR LESS compared to construction and support of ribs and cross members. The grade of the Aluminum is also extremely important.

Think of this way - You can have tin HALF as thick provide 10 times the strength if the construction (supports) are closer together.

Buying a boat based solely on "thickness" of the tin is not something you should do.

Top notch construction will be found on Those premium brands like Lund, Princecraft, Alumacraft (most models) and a few others. Big box store package boats are JUNK.
Agreed! I can't seem to find a lot of info on how close the ribs are spaced on anything except the CLiners though. I know Princecraft uses the H36 Aluminium which has about 25% more yield strength than the H34 that Lund and other premiums use but I would think thickness and rib spacing would have more of an impact on overall strength. I don't even bother looking at the Trackers or Legends, etc.
Old 07-31-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
The crossover is the opposite of being light ,on the trailer at the scales its about 3000 lbs Some people like it because its also a ski boat . Just to much rug for me . Mine has a removable floor rug via snaps ,but full carpet on rear casting deck and front bow casting deck and on the sides. Nothing worse than removing fish slim or blood at the end of a trip . Its easy to pressure wash the carpet but it takes days to dry . I want a boat with no carpet !
The crossover is also build to come out of the water and just skim the top of the water . Sounds good when the water is like glass but very rough ride when you just get a little chop . The tyee with a deep haul or a kingfisher with a deep haul would be my next pick . My goto lake most weekends is Cold lake . Seems like I am always driving off at 10- 15 mph when there are whitecaps . Been looking at boats over 22 ft . The draw back is they sit to high on the trailer and will not slid under the garage door .
Hard to convenes wife we need to move so i can get a taller garage .
Cold lake would be my choice where to move to and have a slip .
Then i would get a boat with a hard top .
Man, thanks so much! That's fantastic first hand info. The glass 189 Tyee would be my dream boat I think. Now I need to know how the Princecraft Sports handle Cold lake in the chop.
Old 07-31-2023, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Funny you mention this as we were getting our house built the builder sat with us and explained the value of a larger garage and higher doors etc
We listened to him and now looking back sure glade we did .

Now I want a heated shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me too. I crammed a full woodshop into my double attached. Cabinet saw, 12" planer/jointer, full wall mitre saw built ins, drill press, 14" bandsaw, dust extraction, router table, outfeed/assembly tables, welding corner. It's a tight shop but everything is stationary and ready to roll. If I make the wife a cutting board or console table every now and then she doesn't complain about her car in the driveway.
Boat length or height won't be a factor.
Old 07-31-2023, 01:41 PM

Default New to me boat journey - best time of year for used boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koleswrath View Post
Agreed! I can't seem to find a lot of info on how close the ribs are spaced on anything except the CLiners though. I know Princecraft uses the H36 Aluminium which has about 25% more yield strength than the H34 that Lund and other premiums use but I would think thickness and rib spacing would have more of an impact on overall strength. I don't even bother looking at the Trackers or Legends, etc.

Attachment 186195

Not sure if this helps, but here is a picture of my 2023 Princecraft Xpedition 200 on the factory floor.

I am heading to the Princecraft factory in a few weeks to tour the facility and do some project work with their head designer and head of marketing. If you have a specific question related to a model, let me know.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 07-31-2023, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post

Not sure if this helps, but here is a picture of my 2023 Princecraft Xpedition 200 on the factory floor.

I am heading to the Princecraft factory in a few weeks to tour the facility and do some project work with their head designer and head of marketing. If you have a specific question related to a model, let me know.

SS
Oh definitely, that's gold! Thanks a ton!

Getting input into boat design improvement....how's that for a dream job eh. If I think of something specific I'll hit you up. Really appreciate it! Good luck and safe trip.
Old 08-01-2023, 03:31 PM

the dream for me has always been the Pro Guide 1875 with a 90 tiller, but the wife is big on the Competitor 185 with a 90 tiller, so we will see. We renew our mortgage in a couple years, and we'll likely tack on a bit to get the boat we want, when we finally decide what that is. Ha ha. But without question, it's Tiller Life for me...
Old 08-01-2023, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
the dream for me has always been the Pro Guide 1875 with a 90 tiller, but the wife is big on the Competitor 185 with a 90 tiller, so we will see. We renew our mortgage in a couple years, and we'll likely tack on a bit to get the boat we want, when we finally decide what that is. Ha ha. But without question, it's Tiller Life for me...
I actually love the big tillers too. I asked the boy if we should get one and he gave me a “are you kidding” look. He wants a steering wheel because he wants to drive it. Also no bow cushions for the lady. Other than that I’m with you.
Old 08-02-2023, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I actually love the big tillers too. I asked the boy if we should get one and he gave me a “are you kidding” look. He wants a steering wheel because he wants to drive it. Also no bow cushions for the lady. Other than that I’m with you.
Ya, it's all personal, but for me, tillers are the REAL fishing machines. I love the space to walk around... Massive dance floor up front. No sneaking around the console. And of course the ability to backtroll properly.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:04 PM

I would suggest to both of you that there is more room in a side console that a tiller. The tiller has the command center that takes up room, as well there is no rear casting deck on a tiller.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-02-2023, 12:49 PM

Thought of a really important factor to our boat selection.

Since we typically camp at the cold lake MD campground in a lake front site, we're used to bringing the little 10ft up on the shore with the kayaks and leaving it over night. In my eyes this is the best thing about having a small boat.
I see some folks do the same with small fiberglass boats. Sort of beaching it as much as possible, tying a line to a tree, etc.
I would worry about the wind coming up during the night and just dumping wave after wave over the transom and having a bathtub instead of a boat in the morning (auto bilge pump notwithstanding).

I was thinking of anchoring any larger boat I got in 3-4 feet of water with the stern facing shore. Danforth anchor off the bow dug in nice and deep and a line to a tree at shore.
Would this be acceptable over night if a storm rolled in? I notice most people at the campground have their boats on the trailers a lot. Having the boat in the water ready to go is a huge convenience and we're trying to re-create a lake lot feel without paying the million dollar mortgages that an actual lake front lot at cold lake would require.
Appreciate any shared experiences here!
Greg
Old 08-02-2023, 01:45 PM

Quote:

Since we typically camp at the cold lake MD campground in a lake front site, we're used to bringing the little 10ft up on the shore with the kayaks and leaving it over night. In my eyes this is the best thing about having a small boat.
I see some folks do the same with small fiberglass boats. Sort of beaching it as much as possible, tying a line to a tree, etc.
I would worry about the wind coming up during the night and just dumping wave after wave over the transom and having a bathtub instead of a boat in the morning (auto bilge pump notwithstanding).

I was thinking of anchoring any larger boat I got in 3-4 feet of water with the stern facing shore. Danforth anchor off the bow dug in nice and deep and a line to a tree at shore.
Would this be acceptable over night if a storm rolled in? I notice most people at the campground have their boats on the trailers a lot. Having the boat in the water ready to go is a huge convenience and we're trying to re-create a lake lot feel without paying the million dollar mortgages that an actual lake front lot at cold lake would require.
Greg
The cover on my Lund fits quite snug, and the design would stop the vast majority of the water from getting into the boat.
Old 08-02-2023, 01:50 PM

The issues I have had with beaching my boat in the past have been entirely due to others not securing their boats properly, causing damage to mine. That’s a difficult variable to eliminate without pulling the boat from the water.

WRT the discussion around tiller, side console, and full windshield I often ask people if they company in the boat. If not, tiller or SC is great and very fishable. If you want to start taking others with you, a full windshield helps make it much more enjoyable for those that aren’t quite as “die hard”. I’ve had all three and I find that my wife and kids are far more comfortable in a full windshield boat.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 08-02-2023, 04:06 PM

Quote:

Greg
I would never sleep at night knowing that my expensive new boat was floating around in the lake or tied to a dock - too many storms and shady characters.

With a modern bunk trailer, a good launch, and some practice, it's not that much more difficult or time consuming to put your boat on the trailer for the night than it would be to anchor it securely. There's also no wading or paddling back and forth out to your boat (that alone would be a deal breaker for me), it'll be infinitely easier to put your cover on/off, you have access to all your fishing gear, and it can be plugged in to charge.

I think you'll quickly find that you'll be "in the same boat", when it comes to the idea of anchoring or beaching your boat overnight. Nope.
Old 08-02-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:
They look cool and all reviews seem to say they are rock solid, well built boats. Stabicrafts are also known to be rough and wet rides. So there is a trade off.

Again, simply because I was doing some serious research last year on these and not necessarily from personal and comparative experience. Some pretty cool boats.

Kingfishers (formerly Harbercraft for many smaller river models) are solid boats, solid reputation in the "river" type hulls but nothing special for big water (larger deeper vees) are less impressive but good boats.

These I have first hand experience with and comparison against other larger big water boats. They are good, and the price is fair for these. Some cheaper options (HEWES) that are comparable to Kingfisher IMO (Mid sized vessels in particular).

There are, of course more premium options but the prices get ridiculous in a hurry (Woolridge, Older Thunder Jets, Kustom Welds).

If you are not fishing big waves and surf (on lakes and inshore) a Stabi is a great choice IMO. Then again, for the average joe any other of the above mentioned are good boats.

You have a lot of experience with the stabi or just a quick google? Ever even stood in one on the water?

The stabi IMO is THE ugliest tub on the water but they’re a bloody weapon built for and measured against rough seas and other ocean capable boats.
Compared to a lund or princecraft they’re in another league. Similar to comparing a 3500 HD diesel to a Honda ridge line. Those boats you guys use are using are built for lakes where 2’ of chop is a rough day. The boats built down here are built for seas like you’ll never see inland and likely never see up north period. I spent 15 straight years fishing the pacific north west and multiple trips to the gulf and never once saw seas like what we deal with down here and further south it gets worse.

Look at Sam’s pic of the princecraft construction and then consider a makaira which is stabicrafts competition.

There are eight semi structures within a makaira hull all composing and buttressing the superstructure.

Your not getting that for the price point you guys are talking though.

I used to build harbercraft boats in sylvan lake and they’re a well built boat by the yardstick you should be using but haven’t got a lot of smaller options for a lake capable fishing boat.

Nothing wrong with a Lund, princecraft, crestliner, etc. but they’re far from premium if you look at the big picture.

They are however more then capable on the lakes they’re designed for if used appropriately. Your even proof a Lund can sneak out on the big pond when it’s playing nicely.
Old 08-02-2023, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Not to get all "engineering expert" on you but some Aluminum sheet stock may have certain properties that trade off against other properties ..... like think of a super strong brittle metal that breaks cleanly (when it does yield as a "catastrophic failure) versus a softer plate that allows more deflection (bending) and may not yield or puncture (bent but not leaking maybe) ..... so, once again, marketing and specs are secondary to real life track records on many brands. Construction of the boat/hull will far outweigh the material in many cases and different construction calls for different specs on the plate/sheet they use.

As far as crossover family boats - Lund, Crestliner, Alumacraft, Princecraft have VERY FEW issues (as a % of the boats out there by population of sold boats) compared to some of the less expensive "package big box" boats that boast a certain thickness/grade of Aluminum. Sometimes these cheaper materials cost far less for thicker plate ..... so, I'd suggest to anyone who would ask me for my opinion, look at real life people reviews and trust the brands that have been trusted.

There is one "brand X" (not going to say the name to tick anyone off) that is sold at one of the "big outdoor" retailers where you will find 50 complaints to every one complaint of the above brands, yet the premium quality brands have sold millions of more boats for decades - yet this "new brand" has way more issues you will find on the internet.

Same is true of welded versus riveted. Depends how it's done and where. To make a statement of one being "better" than the other isn't always indicative of performance, quality and longevity.

As far as smaller production welded boats, Harbercraft (now Kingfisher) is one example of an excellent choice if you like more of a utility type boat versus the "family crossover" type I mentioned above. There are few others in this category that are great like KustomWeld, Woolridge, etc...
Old 08-02-2023, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
You have a lot of experience with the stabi or just a quick google? Ever even stood in one on the water?

The stabi IMO is THE ugliest tub on the water but they’re a bloody weapon built for and measured against rough seas and other ocean capable boats.
Compared to a lund or princecraft they’re in another league. Similar to comparing a 3500 HD diesel to a Honda ridge line. Those boats you guys use are using are built for lakes where 2’ of chop is a rough day. The boats built down here are built for seas like you’ll never see inland and likely never see up north period. I spent 15 straight years fishing the pacific north west and multiple trips to the gulf and never once saw seas like what we deal with down here and further south it gets worse.

There are eight semi structures within a makaira hull all composing and buttressing the superstructure.

I used to build harbercraft boats in sylvan lake and they’re a well built boat by the yardstick you should be using but haven’t got a lot of smaller options for a lake capable fishing boat.

Nothing wrong with a Lund, princecraft, crestliner, etc. but they’re far from premium if you look at the big picture.

They are however more then capable on the lakes they’re designed for if used appropriately. Your even proof a Lund can sneak out on the big pond when it’s playing nicely.
Stabi is definitely not built to do the same thing as a inland lake boat - there will be NO argument there. I have never done side by side testing or controlled experimenting on these if that's what you are implying, however, I have owned dozens of boats, spent lots of time both inland and offshore in many boats (owned both types) and can certainly use "Google" too. 35 years of experience, both inland and offshore, in many types of boats and good reading comprehension, common sense, research and some technical experience in engineering as well helps me too. So if that disqualifies me to have an honest opinion, please enlighten us all on how your opinion should foster higher value as we discuss INLAND fishing - not ocean/offshore boats.

People on an Alberta Forum are NOT fishing in the Ocean in 16 foot swells, launching their stabi's off the beach or hammering the waves to power through a surf/break to get launched and deep enough to avoid a collision on the rocks if they don't skip thier way out. They are not skidding onto a beach at 20mph to recover their tinnies with a tractor, nor are they in the need of super heavy, thick hull, or enclosed cab. This construction is simply not required for how we use our boats here.

We are in Alberta. We are fishing inland lakes.

And, yes, google is your friend, I am not crapping on Stabi's ..... I came very close to buying one. I went to look at them in Washington at a dealer. But I can also read, trust, and research people's qualified opinions (which are NO DIFFERENT than what you are offering). They are a quality boat, but they are NOT a dry ride. They are not a real "smooth cruiser".

And you are right .... If I'm dropping $100K+ and have my choice for a Walleye/Pike/Laketrout and family tubing and skiing boat for inland lakes - you are right comparing the brands I mentioned versus a Stabi is no comparison - the brands I mentioned are FAR MORE suitable for that type of fishing HERE. The Stabi isn't even in the same league.

Cheers

Last edited by EZM; 08-02-2023 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-02-2023, 06:50 PM

Default New to me boat journey - best time of year for used boats?

Quote:
Stabi is definitely not built to do the same thing as a inland lake boat - there will be NO argument there. I have never done side by side testing or controlled experimenting on these if that's what you are implying, however, I have owned dozens of boats, spent lots of time both inland and offshore in many boats (owned both types) and can certainly use "Google" too. 35 years of experience, both inland and offshore, in many types of boats and good reading comprehension, common sense, research and some technical experience in engineering as well helps me too. So if that disqualifies me to have an honest opinion, please enlighten us all on how your opinion should foster higher value as we discuss INLAND fishing - not ocean/offshore boats.

People on an Alberta Forum are NOT fishing in the Ocean in 16 foot swells, launching their stabi's off the beach or hammering the waves to power through a surf/break to get launched and deep enough to avoid a collision on the rocks if they don't skip thier way out. They are not skidding onto a beach at 20mph to recover their tinnies with a tractor, nor are they in the need of super heavy, thick hull, or enclosed cab. This construction is simply not required for how we use our boats here.

We are in Alberta. We are fishing inland lakes.

And, yes, google is your friend, I am not crapping on Stabi's ..... I came very close to buying one. I went to look at them in Washington at a dealer. But I can also read, trust, and research people's qualified opinions (which are NO DIFFERENT than what you are offering). They are a quality boat, but they are NOT a dry ride. They are not a real "smooth cruiser".

And you are right .... If I'm dropping $100K+ and have my choice for a Walleye/Pike/Laketrout and family tubing and skiing boat for inland lakes - you are right comparing the brands I mentioned versus a Stabi is no comparison - the brands I mentioned are FAR MORE suitable for that type of fishing HERE. The Stabi isn't even in the same league.

Cheers

Too much non linear noise there to address it all. Seems you’re still triggered by previous discussions and tried to weave them into your reply.

I know you’re in Alberta. I was born in Rocky Mountain house and spent 36 years in Alberta. I’ve fished it, owned those boats and understand EXACTLY the context of this discussion, water conditions and needs of the average inland fishing boat.

My point is that, no a stabi isn’t wet or rough riding compared to a lund or other comparable, “inland” built boat. They’re not built for the same conditions or measured with the same yardstick so you’re comparing an Abrams tank to an argo. They’re not the same. You can’t be talking about a lund or crestliner and then say a stabi rides poorly compared to them.

I’ve fished in a stabicraft in pretty average (local) sea conditions. It was a charter and it was neither wet nor hard riding. The captain did have tabs and a few thousand hours behind the helm so those count for something. It was within a few months of me selling my Lund and moving here. The ride was incomparable and the conditions were exponentially worse.

Now, compared to “some” boats with more flare, engineered with the right beam, waterline length, deadrise etc. to run quicker into a quartering head sea or with a full cab it “may” be wetter riding. The only way one would call that stabi wet though would be a quartering sea large enough you couldn’t get ahead of the spray before it was blown back over the boat. That wasn’t a problem we had the day I fished with Smithy.

I drew the comparison to hull construction between the stabi and makaira because they’re both kiwi boats built for the same conditions and sold to the same buyers. That’s the playing field it’s competing on which is not the same as an inland built boat.

Not because you asked but do I think I would want a stabicraft in Alberta? Nope, not a chance. Not the right place for that boat and I’m amazed they’re trying to crack that market. I started my Alberta boat ownership with a 12’ springbok sporting a 1973 evinrude 9.9, had a few in the middle and ended with a 18’ lund. If I moved back I would buy another Lund, crestliner, princecraft that had the features I wanted and wouldn’t think anymore about it.

The top tier, North American built lake boats are all similar enough one should be talking features, warranty, trailers, electronics, power, props, dealer service and price.

You know, as an aside. The type of boat that may get some traction in your market is the average 12-14’ tinny they sell here. Compared to the 12’ I had they’re a little less agricultural

Last edited by Coiloil37; 08-02-2023 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-02-2023, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Too much non linear noise there to address it all. Seems you’re still triggered by previous discussions and tried to weave them into your reply.

Not because you asked but do I think I would want a stabicraft in Alberta? Nope, not a chance. Not the right place for that boat and I’m amazed they’re trying to crack that market. I started my Alberta boat ownership with a 12’ springbok sporting a 1973 evinrude 9.9, had a few in the middle and ended with a 18’ lund. If I moved back I would buy another Lund, crestliner, princecraft that had the features I wanted and wouldn’t think anymore about it.
The reason I looked at a Stabi was not for my Alberta home. I was looking for a boat for a water front property on a big lake in BC and thought I'd take a closer look at these boats.

You probably need to stop with the constant aggressive remarks and provoking comments in a discussion forum .... people don't want to contribute to discussions when you respond the way you do. If you don't share the same opinion, that's cool, there are ways to express that like a grown up.
Old 08-03-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The cover on my Lund fits quite snug, and the design would stop the vast majority of the water from getting into the boat.
Thanks, that's handy info.
Old 08-03-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
The issues I have had with beaching my boat in the past have been entirely due to others not securing their boats properly, causing damage to mine. That’s a difficult variable to eliminate without pulling the boat from the water.

WRT the discussion around tiller, side console, and full windshield I often ask people if they company in the boat. If not, tiller or SC is great and very fishable. If you want to start taking others with you, a full windshield helps make it much more enjoyable for those that aren’t quite as “die hard”. I’ve had all three and I find that my wife and kids are far more comfortable in a full windshield boat.

SS
Excellent point, I didn't consider that. A few weeks ago there was a Seadoo anchored a few feet off shore and it drifted a few spots overnight. I could just imagine it rubbing up against the nice new paint up and down with each wave, over and over.
Old 08-03-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I would never sleep at night knowing that my expensive new boat was floating around in the lake or tied to a dock - too many storms and shady characters.

With a modern bunk trailer, a good launch, and some practice, it's not that much more difficult or time consuming to put your boat on the trailer for the night than it would be to anchor it securely. There's also no wading or paddling back and forth out to your boat (that alone would be a deal breaker for me), it'll be infinitely easier to put your cover on/off, you have access to all your fishing gear, and it can be plugged in to charge.

I think you'll quickly find that you'll be "in the same boat", when it comes to the idea of anchoring or beaching your boat overnight. Nope.
Thanks for sharing, I've thought about the theft issue but I didn't consider all the stuff that has to go in and out of the boat each night or the cover. I'm used to my parents lake lot where they have hoists and giant canopies. "In the same boat"....
Old 08-03-2023, 10:04 AM

Quote:

Look at Sam’s pic of the princecraft construction and then consider a makaira which is stabicrafts competition.

For my intended light use this would be the equivalent of driving an armored Humvee to work. It would be sweet to not worry about the boat EVER being damaged by ANYTHING though.
Old 08-03-2023, 10:25 AM

Quote:
For my intended light use this would be the equivalent of driving an armored Humvee to work. It would be sweet to not worry about the boat EVER being damaged by ANYTHING though.
what is the weight difference and the extra horse power required to push that weight.
Old 08-03-2023, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post

100% agree with this. For the time it takes to load the boat, it is well worth not having to worry.

When we had a 'tinner' with a tiller we'd leave it on shore at night. If a big storm rolled in, the boat would fill with water and all sorts of debris. It doesn't seem like a lot, but one splash at a time can fill a boat. If it's a basic boat you just bail it out and head out on the water.

My boat doesn't sound as nice as a lot of the boats you guys are describing, but I would never leave my boat on shore at night.
Old 08-03-2023, 02:46 PM

I figured I'd go exponential and flex my years of Googling experience and watching a lot of Miami Vice. I think I've come up with obvious choice for your next boat. I'm pretty sure it will check all the boxes, except one, DO NOT beach it overnight...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cigarette-Tirranna-Boat-With-6-Outboards-2048x1365.jpg (31.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-03-2023, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
what is the weight difference and the extra horse power required to push that weight.
There isn't much point in spending more money to buy a boat built for offshore conditions, and then spending more money on a larger engine to push the heavier boat, if a person is only going to use the boat on inshore lakes, in much calmer conditions. And then there is the extra weight to tow as well.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Ever heard of the titanic? They can all be damaged by a lot of things but with the right captain you’ll be just fine. Even a glass boat can handle being pulled up on shore and if it’s sporting a keel guard you won’t even notice.

As for beaching. Back in the mid 90’s we pulled the boat up on shore at Shaws point on slave lake. The wind picked up a little that night and by morning half the boat was full of water. Tackle boxes were floating, bilge had quit at some point. That was the last time on a large lake. Still did it on the little ponds but not on anything serious.

If you’re going to leave it exposed it needs to be anchored with the bow into the swell. There’s a way of doing that where you don’t have to walk into the water to retrieve it but for most situations on a lake just pull it out. It takes five minutes and if it takes more then five minutes keep doing it and soon it’ll take five minutes. Most places in Alberta you’ve got to worry about theft if it’s out of sight or while you sleep.

If your anchor is ever dragging look into a rocna or sarca. Preferably the rocna. These are designs of anchors I didn’t know of when I lived there but they’re in another league when it comes to ease of setting and holding power on every bottom. The days of a danforth are long gone.

If the boats swinging around on its rode at night I would assume you neglected to set the rear rode off the stern back to shore on the loop system. Have a little look on YouTube and you’ll see how to fix most of that problem.

Extra fuel burn on a heavier boat? Yea it’s probably a thing I’m sure but I’ve got no way to calculate it. I would imagine for the distances traveled inland you wouldn’t notice enough to matter. I suspect there’s more fuel burn variance in size, brand and model of outboard then an extra couple hundred kg’s in the same boat but I don’t have any real life experience there so idk. I still wouldn’t consider that boat inland.
Old 08-03-2023, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
100% agree with this. For the time it takes to load the boat, it is well worth not having to worry.

When we had a 'tinner' with a tiller we'd leave it on shore at night. If a big storm rolled in, the boat would fill with water and all sorts of debris. It doesn't seem like a lot, but one splash at a time can fill a boat. If it's a basic boat you just bail it out and head out on the water.

My boat doesn't sound as nice as a lot of the boats you guys are describing, but I would never leave my boat on shore at night.
Thanks, really appreciate your input.