Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-28-2023, 07:42 PM

Default Boat registration question

I bought a used boat is Sask. and am looking to get it registered. Can I use the numbers that are on it or will I have to get new numbers that are assigned?

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-28-2023, 08:30 PM

They give you the option to keep it as is or you can change the SK to AB.
Old 09-29-2023, 09:51 AM

Default License it or register it?

If you license your boat like said above you can use the existing numbers or use new.
If you register your boat you can name your boat if taking to the states they recommend registering the boat but it costs a lot more at $250.
Old 09-29-2023, 10:00 AM

Thank you fellows.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-01-2023, 08:39 AM

Is the number on your boat like a licence plate? Fish and Feathers don't check it, mandatory boat check stops don't check it. Not on fresh waters that I have ever seen fishing. If you don't have any numbers on your boat, will they ask why? If you just put some random numbers on it, will they check? Never been asked. Been asked for a waterproof flashlight though. $250 fine in BC.
Old 10-01-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Is the number on your boat like a licence plate? Fish and Feathers don't check it, mandatory boat check stops don't check it. Not on fresh waters that I have ever seen fishing. If you don't have any numbers on your boat, will they ask why? If you just put some random numbers on it, will they check? Never been asked. Been asked for a waterproof flashlight though. $250 fine in BC.
The purpose of the numbers is for ID, if you fall overboard and die it helps ID you.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-01-2023, 09:21 AM

Still maybe another cash grab. Should be as long as you own that boat it is life time. Not ten years, re-register. Most don't know this. Like me. Never was told when I registered my boat. My trailer plate is life time and transferable to different trailers. Please don't leak it out about trailer plates or they will want to charge every year......Damn inside brain, shut up. LOL Maybe delete the trailer comment in case there is some government insider looking to make brownie points.........Ha ha