Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-07-2011, 06:32 PM

Default What makes this pond so special?

From the 2011 regs "The Vegreville Trout Pond is now listed in the lake and Stream Listings for PP2. To encourage the removal of perch from the Vegreville Trout Pond, it now has a daily catch limit of 15 perch"
So why is the limit zero from the Enchant trout pond? I dont understand how SRD comes up with their ideas. Why cant we keep the perch out of there to help thin them out if you can in Vegreville? Maybe Enchant needs to build a giant Easter egg too?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-07-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Maybe Enchant needs to build a giant Easter egg too?
Old 03-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Gone Hunting

shouldn't be a problem then...just make sure it's called a "Pysanka"...and the pond is in the next Premiers riding.....done deal!!!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:04 PM

These guys know what they are doing... It's thier jobs.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
These guys know what they are doing... It's thier jobs.
of course, silly me questioning the gov-mint!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-07-2011, 07:43 PM

Most of the time they are trying to keep people from harvesting the perch that were illegally introduced....so perch don't get added to every water body.
Not sure why Eggville is special.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:51 PM

They must have faith in my Ukrainian forefathers ability to reduce a lake to nothing, just look at what happened to all the lakes near Vilna in the 80's. The perch won't stand a chance against that side of my family.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:29 PM

See of I can help here. From what I understand the Vegreville pond was incorrectly included in the Zero perch limit lakes. The lakes that have a zero perch limit are all trout ponds that have had perch illegally introduced - after a specific date. Vegreville pond had perch before the specified date so it has been corrected in the regs.

If you are wondering why there are zero limits, it is an attempt to remove the motivation to introduce species into stocked lakes. In other words, if you can never keep a species of fish to eat, why would you introduce it to a body of water?

Clear?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:43 PM

the goverment and everyone up ther has no clue how to run fisheries....
Old 03-07-2011, 08:47 PM

but see if your already doing something illegal what's gonna stop you from doing something else illegal i.e: you illegally stock a lake with perch so that you can 1.eat them and 2. be able to catch something else while u wait for the trout to bite so honestly if you put them in there your probably gonna take some home regardless of the regs.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplander View Post
but see if your already doing something illegal what's gonna stop you from doing something else illegal i.e: you illegally stock a lake with perch so that you can 1.eat them and 2. be able to catch something else while u wait for the trout to bite so honestly if you put them in there your probably gonna take some home regardless of the regs.
Putting perch in a lake is the kiss of death for both perch fishing and trout fishing. Perch stunt... In a few years even with a lot of people harvesting 15 each...the lake over populates with perch. Then the average size perch is 4-6 inches...with 6 being a monster.

Then no one wants them at all. Perch in turn eat all the same food at trout. Not enough food and the trout can not be stocked. The lake is ruined.

If you keep a perch...you will be charged...you will learn not to kill perch...if there are any trout left to catch.

F&W is trying various ideas to stop these idiots from doing this to other lakes. They have to try stuff. Stopping the benefit to their illegal activities is the only logical way. Then they can't keep the perch...and the trout fishing sucks. Hope the vandals crawl under a rock and rot.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 PM

Veg pond partially winterkills every year which keeps the perch population from stunting. The perch have been there for 10+ years
Old 03-07-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linemanpete View Post
Veg pond partially winterkills every year which keeps the perch population from stunting. The perch have been there for 10+ years
That is a big benefit. If they could draw the water down even further they could totally winterkill it. Still if at least they don't stunt it provides a none stunted perch fishery.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:20 PM

Are you talking about the pond on the south side of hwy 16? Never caught a perch in there but lots of bows flyfishing. Isn't that pond also aerated?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefishin View Post
Are you talking about the pond on the south side of hwy 16? Never caught a perch in there but lots of bows flyfishing. Isn't that pond also aerated?
no aeration in there. Im pretty sure that water comes from LittleBow Res so the perch would have arrived naturally, like every other waterbody that system feeds, so they would have been there before the trout were stocked. Just assumptions, I dont know the history of the pond.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 03-08-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
It is the pond south of 16. There is no aeration, water levels fluctuate due to it being the towns water supply. There are perch in there. Find the drop off on the south side of the lake and you'll get into them.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:56 PM

The west one or east one, by one I mean there is kinda two rectangles that are connected. A friend of mine landed an 8-10 pound hog on the south end of the east side tried to release but it wasn't recovering so had to keep it. I've hooked into a few that have easy snapped my 4-6lb tipper too. But never any perch. Any size to the perch or typical stunted small pond perch?
Old 03-08-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linemanpete View Post
I have fished this resevoir extensively for as long as I can remember and they have not been there for 15 years that I guarantee.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Yes it is aerated and the perch are a fairly new addition.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
The west one or east one, by one I mean there is kinda two rectangles that are connected. A friend of mine landed an 8-10 pound hog on the south end of the east side tried to release but it wasn't recovering so had to keep it. I've hooked into a few that have easy snapped my 4-6lb tipper too. But never any perch. Any size to the perch or typical stunted small pond perch?
the big pond is the one with the fish. and the beach. I checked out the smaller one to the west this winter, its very shallow and didnt see any sort of life in it. you can catch perch anywhere in the big pond, on flies or pretty much anything they can get in their mouths.
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.16...z=16&t=h&hl=en

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 PM

OK having grown up there. There is areation through the winter. It is not the towns water supply, and the perch are a very recent pain in the butt addition. Can't catch a trout for all the perch biting. your flies.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Hope the vandals crawl under a rock and rot.
Well said!

I'll just embellish your statement a bit.

I hope they go back to the rock they crawled from under and if they do manage to reproduce I can only hope they eat their young. We have no need in this province or anywhere else in Canada for ignorant, selfish, inbred,
goat faced, law breaking bucket brigaders. They have ruined far too many decent lakes.

stan
Old 03-08-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borchy View Post
OK having grown up there. There is areation through the winter. It is not the towns water supply, and the perch are a very recent pain in the butt addition. Can't catch a trout for all the perch biting. your flies.
I was unaware of the aeration, must be done from under the water, Ive never seen any sort of equipment for it. It wont be the towns water supply for long since the pipeline for the new water supply is being installed now if it isnt already done. I catch exclusively trout there if thats what I want, by lure choice and size, but I dont usually fish for trout, Id rather catch perch.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 03-09-2011, 08:11 AM

as a trout guy.i'd love to see a NO LIMIT on perch,that have been illegally transported into the waterbody.that srd has stocked on a regular basis with trout...
Old 03-09-2011, 08:23 AM

i live 30 mins from there ill go out this weekend and catch some perch i enjoy catching em do ya trout guys a favor
Old 03-09-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I was unaware of the aeration, must be done from under the water, Ive never seen any sort of equipment for it. It wont be the towns water supply for long since the pipeline for the new water supply is being installed now if it isnt already done. I catch exclusively trout there if thats what I want, by lure choice and size, but I dont usually fish for trout, Id rather catch perch.
South west side is the aeration watch for it in the spring time. can usually see it running. (first spot to thaw) I used to like to dead drift nymphs but now a guy cant keep the perch off long enough to catch the big bows.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borchy View Post
South west side is the aeration watch for it in the spring time. can usually see it running. (first spot to thaw) I used to like to dead drift nymphs but now a guy cant keep the perch off long enough to catch the big bows.
Wayne after reading your previous post I think you are talking about a different pond. There is no little bow resevoir near the Vegreville pond.