Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-16-2011, 04:32 PM

Default Great on the go Recipes?

So me and my buddy recently came across an old small camper that he had the wild idea of turning into a ice fishing shack. (Yes I know its been done many of times before) but after getting it back to his shop and hours of smashing and cutting and reattaching stuff that we realized probably should have stayed on, we ended up with a pretty fine ice fishing shack. Furnace, Fridge, stove and all. it is perfect for cookin up a couple little brookies when your getting hungry, but so far the only thing we can think of is the tried and true method of a bag of lemons, a brick of butter and a clove of garlic. I'm sure we could think of some other wild concoction but no need wasting good fish. Any chefs out there know of any good mixtures that make a good snack, but remember we are doing this out of a 1970's camper, we don't have the kitchen from a five star hotel in europe, hahaha any input would be appreciated,
Cheers,
Old 01-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Gone Fishing

First of all congrats on the camper. If you are a skilled filleter then I would suggest crushing up corn flakes to use as a batter and sprinkle with seasoning salt. Really simple to do and tastes fantastic.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:25 PM

cornmeal & parm 50/50.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:27 PM

Cornmeal, Parmesan and butchers and packers fish batter mixed together...cant forget that dace!!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vondogleg View Post
Cornmeal, Parmesan and butchers and packers fish batter mixed together...cant forget that dace!!
ah yes, butchers and packers fish batter. slave ling you could feed to the queen!
Old 01-19-2011, 10:27 AM

One recipe I like for Salmon ...and I suppose brookies would work great too is to fillet & season with onion powder and seasoning salt an a little pepper. pan fry over medium-hi heat in olive oil or butter, dont' flip it too much, in the last few minutes pour a couple table spoons of maple syrup over the fillet ...let it caramelize a bit but don't burn in and that is one of the best ways to bring out the suculent butteryness of salmon.

For white meat fish like walleye burbot perch halibut ect.
Is drege fillet chunks in flour, then in a egg/milk 4-1 mix, then into panko crumbs and fry in canola oil until golden brown remove and season with seasoning salt.
Panko crumbs are cheap and can be found in most grocery stores they are a japanese bread crumb that stays crunchy.
Cook on a med-hi heat as the panko can burn if too hot.

If I am on the water fish crisp does the job just fine.

Enjoy
Mike
Old 01-19-2011, 10:38 AM

Tried LOTS of recipes over the years and this one
is the easiest and works with all kinds of fish ..

Dry the fish first . It its wet with water ... nothing sticks !!
I make up a marg. tub with eggs and milk before I leave
and take it with me. Use it to dip the fish peices in and them.....

The only coating you will need is good old Hickory Sticks !!
Yup.. you can still find them in some stores and you can
crush'm up in the bag and simply put your fish right in the
bag after dipping them in your egg/milk wash.
Frying is always better in butter.....
mmmmmm butter.

so there you have it !! a marg tub and a bag of Hickory Stick chips !!!
doesn't get any easier than that.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:43 PM

Thanks Guys Tried the Corn Meal and Parm thing the weekend after you guys gave the suggestion, I enjoyed it but my buddy not so much, and I am still waiting to go out again to try the Maple Syrup thing, Sounds delicious! And the hickory sticks, well we figured that you gotta crush em up real good, otherwise they are as bad as a fish bone.... Hahah but still delicious, Thanks
Old 03-09-2011, 05:45 PM

take some game sauges or whatever meat u want mix in with a can or the porkin beans kind and dump it into a tinfoil and over the fire add garlic onoins ect ect and cook for 10-15mins.amazing on the bow cant mess up recipe
Old 03-09-2011, 10:37 PM

Sounds crazy but crush your favorite chip into a pulp. I love walleye battered in Lays dill pickle and fried in oil
Old 03-09-2011, 10:55 PM

^^ x2, tried this out on a trout as nothing else was available and we were hungry, turned out really good, surprised the heck outta us! Also same trip we had extra corn, stuffed it in the body cavity of the trout, wrapped in tin foil with butter and on the stove, turn out really good too. Got some of the sweetness of the corn into the meat. Have made really decent food combos just out of having nothing else to use, but maybe it just tasted good at the time because we were hungry, who knows, haha.

happy fishin and cookin!

cheers,

Alex