Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Banned

Default Bow Selection help please.

I am looking at buying a bow with my tax return, I want a Mathews and Either the HeliM or the Z7 Magnum. I am going to post some differences, And if possible would like to be told what they actually mean, I did try google and it did not help.

Cam(s) ZX Cam™ vs Hēlim Cam™
Brace Height 6 3/8" vs 7"
Riser Length "-" vs 26 1/8"

Here is a link comparing the two.

How do I know which one suits me better?

I am 6'1. All help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:16 PM

Have you shot these two bows yet? If not, find a archery shop that carries both. Mathews is a great bow even though I shoot a Hoyt. Love the Hoyt as well. My brother in law just purchased a new Mathews..M8 I think, but he had shot several other Mathews and he knew right away that the M8 was the right bow for him after experimenting with 2 or 3 other models. If your new to archery, then check out Huntersfriend.com. This site has some good information about bows and there technology. Im sure you will get some more good advice from other very experience archers on this forum. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 PM

yes you will want to go try the bows out for your self before you choose one, its really the only way to tell for sure which bow suits you better. if you're in the edmonton area, trophy book archer in spruce grove carries mathews and has both of those bows you can try out, they are great helping you out finding what you like best.
i was torn between the helim and creed for my next compound and shot both side by side for an afternoon and determined the helim felt better in my hands that the creed. this is of course when i can actually get one

good luck
Old 01-06-2013, 08:53 PM

I think this is what you're going to hear (or something similar) as this is a common post on the net. Go to a bow shop and try out as many different brands as you can and find the one that shoots an feels the best for you. There's a good chance it might be neither of those models and maybe even another brand.

There are LOTS of good brands these days and it is more about finding the right bow for you, than it is picking out the best make or model. Buying the right bow is kinda like buying shoes, you need to try them out and see what's best for you. The huntersfriend site has lots of good info on it.

I'm assuming you're new to archery or getting back into it, so you'll find bows with bigger brace heights (7" and over) and longer ATA's to be more forgiving. This is explained on the site or at the store. Good luck and welcome to the club, it's addicting.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Banned

Thanks guys! I will do just that, Head to Jim Bows with cash in hand and try them all out. Do they get irritated with guys that want to try anything? I would hate to seem like a burden and buy a Bow just to ease the tension.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:03 PM

Default Bow

If they get irritated, take your money elseware.You need to try a few and see what feels best in your hand.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
Thanks guys! I will do just that, Head to Jim Bows with cash in hand and try them all out. Do they get irritated with guys that want to try anything? I would hate to seem like a burden and buy a Bow just to ease the tension.
No they don't, They encourage it! Customer service is why they are the best archery shop in Alberta! I'll bet you'll be posting about how awesome your expireince was in days!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:56 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
No they don't, They encourage it! Customer service is why they are the best archery shop in Alberta! I'll bet you'll be posting about how awesome your expireince was in days!
x 1000 Thumbs up
Old 01-07-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:

x3 - I was there yesterday with my fiance and they were unreal. Great team there.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 AM

I have actually seen Jim turn down a sale to get a customer to come in with his existing bow to see if he could squeak some more speed out of it....that all the customer wanted was a faster bow and Jim asked him what arrows he was shooting and they were heavy aluminum ones.....so he told the guy to come in with his bow and he would see what he could get out of it.

The customer was willing to buy brand new on the spot....if that isn't honest customer service....

LC
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 AM

Big difference between the two...good advise on shooting them both however the Magnum may be harder to find to shoot as a shooter bow...

The HeliM is a shorter ATA 30" [Axle to Axle] than the Magnum...32"

The Magnum is noticibly heavier than the HeliM ..however some like that..
The Magnum is faster but with shorter Brace height..

Brace height...is from inside the grip to string measurement..old school rule is the shorter the BH the faster the bow is....however some cant shoot the shorter BH bows as well the bigger BH bows...I am one of them...some have issues with heavier clothing...but with the Dead End string stoppers that isnt a huge issue with beyond Brace height string travel...

The risers have gotten longer with limbs getting more parallel...I like the longer risers for accuracy...

The HeliM is a shooter and is now my most favorite hunting bow of all time...its fast light, quite and accurate...easy to shoot and shorter for blinds and stands...

The Magnum felt heavy for myself... But try them both if you can everyone is different
JMHO

Neil
Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 AM

Worked with jimbows at trophy book when dan still owned it best tech around hands down go to jimbows he will set u up
Old 01-07-2013, 11:55 PM
Banned

Default Matthews-Jimbows

Quote:
no they don't, they encourage it! Customer service is why they are the best archery shop in alberta! I'll bet you'll be posting about how awesome your expireince was in days!
yep!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
The HeliM is a shooter and is now my most favorite hunting bow of all time...its fast light, quite and accurate...easy to shoot and shorter for blinds and stands...
X2

www.nicktrehearne.com
Old 01-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Banned

Wow, Thanks for all the input guys! I like the Hoyt Carbon Element G3 as well. Can't wait to get my $ and head into Jim bows!!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:11 PM

Cool

I'd go with helim
Old 01-20-2013, 08:01 PM

Bought my first bow at Jimbows today after he let me shoot a bunch of models he set me up with a Bowtech Assassin and adjusted it for me. Boy does it shoot, wouldn't shop anywhere else now.