Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-14-2012, 08:56 PM

Default Jan. 08

With a fair bit of walking planned between stands I left the 20 Tactical in the gun cabinet and chose the much lighter .204. The E-caller stayed home also and I went with a couple hand calls.
After walking in a half mile I set up on a fence line and spot a coyote out 500 yards in a stubble field. The coyote did respond to the call but sure took it's time getting to the pasture land where I was. Drop the coyote in its tracks and grab my howler and give some yelps but nothing else showed. Packed up and walked another half mile and called a large slough bottom and hay field but no takers. I was going to do a couple more stands but the wind had kicked up a bit, the temperature rose to well above freezing and my stomach was growling. So back to the truck, pick the coyote up and head home for a bite to eat.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:58 PM

Default Jan. 09

Got off work a little earlier than usual today and spot one coyote mousing in a slough bottom just a couple miles from home. I get home, grab a rifle and head back. Park the truck on a old road allowance and sneak down a fence line. The coyote had moved from where I previously seen it but it was closer now which was good. Under 200 yard shot has the coyote down.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:00 PM

Default Jan 15

Winter showed up this morning with minus 18C, and a wind chill of minus 32C.
I head to a hog farm that is fairly sheltered by trees and I find the first coyote still feeding on a carcass and 100 yard shot has coyote number one down.

At the report of the rifle shot another coyote runs out of the bush and stops (200 yards). It seems not sure which way to go, I figured straight down would be good and that's the way it went.
Seen another 4 coyotes leave the area but out of range.
My camera died, so a couple pictures taken with my phone.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:04 PM

Default Jan. 21

Missed all the real cold days for calling but got a chance to get out this morning. First stand brought in a single using a Kerry Carver closed reed distress. Shot this coyote at 60 yards.

Second stand I head to a large slough close to home that I have had luck in the past.
I see from the road there is one coyote on the ice which is a good sign. Park and walk a quarter mile to a spot at edge of the reeds. I start off with the closed reed call but see nothing, wait a few minutes and call again with no results. Pull out the howler and do a series of pup yelps and sure enough that gets some action. First off, three coyotes come out of the reeds on the far side of the slough only to be joined by another four. I'm watching the 7 coyotes with the binoculars and see an 8th join the group. They are just watching and I slowly reach down for the howler, more pup yelps and here they come. They get to roughly 250 yards and stop. A snowplow/sanding truck is just going past which sends 5 coyotes back the way they came. I pick one of the three still left, focus on one that is standing broadside and slip a 35 grain Berger into the boiler room. The coyote yelps a few times which stops one of the last two. I put the crosshairs on fur and shoot, the coyote jumps straight up, then goes into a spinning frenzy. Another shot at the spinner but miss, a third shot now on a running coyote also misses.
Tracked the coyote but there was very little blood and it quit bleeding after a 100 yards. Followed the tracks into the thick bush but thats where I lost it's trail.
Walked back to the coyote on the ice and set up for a pic. but discover my camera batteries were now dead. Alway have the backup I-phone .
Old 02-14-2012, 09:08 PM

Default Jan. 22 (coyotes# 32-36)

First stand is in the river hills where I start off with a couple howls then switch to the Carver closed reed. Expected coyotes to come from the bottom but got this one in the hills above me.

After dragging the big male to the top I drive a half mile and then walk to a ravine that I like to call once a month. Sure enough it produced another coyote!

Pick the coyote up and drive a mile and call another ravine where I bring a nice one in. Shot it at 44 paces... seen one other one but couldn't interest it in coming in.

Drop the 3 coyotes off at home and tell the wife I'm going to try one more spot close by. Start off the set with a short burst of distress cries from the closed reed and its not long before I see a pair coming across the field from a half mile away. The lead coyote never stopped untill I barked at it. Dropped the coyote at 100 yards, grabbed the howler and gave some yelps but the other coyote is not coming back. I glance to my right and see a different coyote coming out of the bush and when its in the clear I drop it too.
A good morning.... 5 shots and 5 coyotes.... makes up for the days of 5 shots and no coyotes
Old 02-14-2012, 09:12 PM

Great pics! Keep 'EM comin'
Old 02-14-2012, 09:12 PM

Default Jan. 28

Only got out to do one stand late this afternoon. I howled this big male in and dropped it at 200 yards before it got downwind. Some more howling got a group answering less than a half mile away but they never did show.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:16 PM

Default Jan. 29

My son comes down this morning and our first stand is close to the river banks. We set out a couple coyote decoys on each side of a fence line and we sit on opposite sides also. A few howls from the e-caller and then I switch over to rabbit distress, mute the caller and a few minutes later I see a coyote on the edge of the trees. Its staring at the decoy which gives me a chance to move the rifle and sticks into place. Put the cross hairs on my target and shoot. The coyote spins around and head back into the trees but looks to be labouring some. I switch to pup yelps and a minute later I see a different coyote heading across the field but not towards us. After a ten minute wait we head to the bush to look for the coyote. There was no blood but Ryan tracked the coyote into the thick bush where he found it piled up.

Second stand is in the river hill again but ¾ mile away. This time both Ryan and I use our howlers and that gets a group howling back from across the valley. Tried some different calls but nothing showed.
From there we head a few miles and the plan is to set up on each side of a fence line and hopefully call a coyote out of a couple bush patches. As we walk in Ryan spots a coyote in the field and we set up a couple hundred yards shy of where planned. Long story short we have a total of 4 come in, Ryan shot one and I take a couple running shots but miss.
Next stand is by a creek valley and again as we walk in Ryan spots a coyote in the middle of the field but this coyote sees us also and leaves the area. Again we set up on opposite sides of a fence line and start the caller with some howls which gets a group howling back from the hills. I switch to pup distress and then switch to vole squeaks. A coyote comes up the fence line on Ryan’s side but before he can get a shot the coyote crosses to my side. This coyote is coming straight for the caller and I had to do a far bit of barking to get the coyote to stop. I shot the coyote at was later determined to be 31 paces. The Foxbang kicks over to pup screams and almost immediately another coyotes comes out of the valley on a fast trot. A few barks and it finally stops at 63 paces…. Nice to get the double.

We then stop for lunch and decide to do one more stand along the creek valley. Once again we set up on a fence line and I start the caller off with some howls, which kicks out 4 big white tail bucks on Ryan's side. I switch over to rabbit distress, pup yelps and so on. Finally a single coyotes comes up my side of the fence line. I have to move into position and I wait till the coyote is trotting before swinging around. The coyote freezes at roughly 200 yards. I zoom the scope up and fire, I see a huge puff of hair fly and the coyote drops, only to get back up and burn back to bush before I could get another shot off. Ryan does me a favour and tracks the coyote through bush so thick that he was down on his hands and knees in places. The coyote went right through the thick bush and headed down into the valley but unfortunately that’s where the tracks were lost..
I knew I hit the coyote high on the back but with no vitals hit the coyote managed to get away.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:19 PM

Default Feb. 01 (coyote #41)

Got out for one stand after work today, called this male coyote in with female coyote howls (it is the season after all)
I was set up on a fence line and the coyote came out of a ravine to the edge of the bush just over 100 yards from me. Zoomed up the scope and sent a 35 gr. Berger on its way.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:21 PM

Had time for one stand after work and headed a couple miles from home. As I'm walking to where I wanted to call from I notice a coyote laying on top of a round bale. I couldn't see the coyote in the scope if I used my bi pod due to the length of the grass and I dare not move from where I was. I tried a 250 yard shot off a nearby fence post but I missed. The coyote was rudely awaken and when he hit the ground he was unsure where to run. I chambered another round but meanwhile the coyote slipped into the willows. I let out a few pup yelps and in short time the coyote came out of the willows a 100 yards closer. This time I was able to use the bi pod and was able to put the coyote down.
I moved to a better spot and tried calling for a bit but nothing else showed.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:24 PM

Default Feb 03

With still over a week of holidays to burn up from last year and my paperwork caught up, I decided to take the morning off to do some coyote hunting.
First stand of the morning I start off with a couple howls which brings in a pair of coyotes so fast that they caught me off guard. I barked and barked to stop them but they kept coming, then I remembered Displayed Name, doing the “Meow” trick,,,, one meow and those coyotes skidded to a stop……. And I proceeded to shoot and miss. I won’t go into the words that went though my mind!!!
After the shot I let out some yelps and its not long and I have a single come out of the bush and crest a hill only to challenge howl me. I give it right back at Mr. coyote and then he starts on his way. Shot this coyote at roughly a 100 yards.

Next stand that I drive to is at a ravine that I shot female coyote a couple weeks ago. As I’m driving down the farmers trail I see a coyote out in the field mousing. The coyote is unaware of me so I park behind some trees and grab the rifle and make tracks down the treed fence line. I hit an opening and decide to shoot from there. Get set up and put the cross hairs on the coyote and send a bullet harmlessly on its way. The coyote heads to the ravine that I planned on calling so I decided to leave this area alone and come back later.
I drive a couple miles and park by an old treed over road allowance, then walk a quarter mile to an area of a large bush. I start the e caller this time playing Female coyote howls. After a few minutes I switch over to Jackrabbit distress. That brings a coyote on the run but I knew it was going to most like try come in from behind me. I kept watch on my back side plus the bush and sure enough the coyote came in behind me. I swung around but all I could see was the coyotes head and neck. I figured I shoot targets at that distance so I squeezed a shot off and I hear a solid “whapp”. I’m a little surprised to see the coyote make it back to the bush though. After calling for a bit and seeing no other action I pack up and head over to cut the coyotes trail. When I get to where I shot the coyote I see it was standing on the trail that I walked in on. By the blood sign on the snow I knew the coyote wouldn’t be far. I tracked it further that I thought but the strange part was I found the coyote piled up in the bush only 20 yards from where my truck was parked.

Back to work at noon and then after work I get home, change quick and head to the ravine where I shot at ( and missed) the coyote in the morning. I get set up on a fence line and start the e caller off with female coyote howls. The caller hadn’t even finished the third howl when this big male came tearing in. Shot it at 63 paces.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:26 PM

Default Feb. 04

First stand of the morning was overlooking a large slough bottom but the wind was picking up steadily to the point I was wasting my time. Walked back to the truck and figured I needed to get some place out of the wind. The lake is a couple miles away and that's where I head. On the walk down to the lake it seemed that the trail through the the bush was longer and steeper than in the past.
When I finally got to the bottom I told myself only one coyote to be shot here (if any). I followed numerous coyote tracks out to a muskrat house and that's where I set the e caller. I move back 40 yards into the cattails and start off with some howls. I hear nothing respond so after a bit, I switch to pup yelps. Its not long and I have a coyote coming straight in. The coyote stops twice and looks back but there is nothing following that I can see. I bark at the coyote and it stops broad side, a 60 yard shot and the coyote drops 20 yards from the muskrat house. I un-mute the caller and the pup yelps start again.....then I remembered the long steep walk back to the truck and couldn't shut the caller off fast enough.
By the time I dragged the coyote to the top that was enough for one morning
Old 02-14-2012, 09:28 PM

Default Jan. 06

Had time to do one quick stand this morning before the wife and I head to Jasper for a few days.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:30 PM

Default Feb 11 2012

First stand of the morning I set up along a treed fence line near a hog farm and it's not long before I see a couple coyotes romping around in the trees. A few lip squeaks brings the pair out in the open and a 60 yard shot has one coyote down. The other coyote cuts back to the trees and then out into the open field. One bark and it stops at 200 yards.

I pick up the coyotes and then drive a mile to another spot. As I'm walking to where I want to call from, I crest a knoll and see a coyote mousing at just over 200 yards. I sneak a little closer and when the coyote turns broadside I send a 35gr. Berger on its way. I don't bother calling this area after getting the bonus coyote.
I feel a little under the weather (caught a cold while in Jasper) and decide to call it an early morning.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:34 PM

Default Feb. 12-12 (coyote #51)

I set up on a coyote trail near a poultry farm first thing this morning. Picked the wrong trail as the only coyotes I seen (3) where travelling on a different trail. Nothing did come down the one I was set up on...even tried calling but full bellied coyotes don't respond well
Second set is in the river hills and I have this lone male come trotting in after some distress calls. He blended into the landscape as he continued along till 100 yards away, I barked, which stopped him and then sent a 38 gr. Wildcat on its way.

Did a third set but no action.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:51 PM

Got out once on saturday morning for a hour to hit 2 of my spots, went well, first stand called one right in with the first 30 seconds of calling with my sceery cotton tail, came into 281 yards, sent a 45. gr hornady v max his way with my 22-250, he went about 1 ft strait down.

The second stand i called in 2 coyotes with in 1 minute of calling on the sceery cotton tail, circled around in behind me, was only able to shoot the one, before the other one evacuated the dance floor in the trees, no follow up shot on him.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:30 AM

Got a couple more this morning.. Ecalled the first one into 180 yards. Standing straight on I put the hairs in her chest and dropped her. Abiut 2 mins later the big male showed up andwalked right over her and stood there looking in my direction. I had the cross hairs on him as well by waited untin he turned. Dropped him as well.

The next stand I called for about 7 mins when this guy showed up. Took him straight on as well. All and all it was a four dog day. Three dogs we shot straight on with a 55g NHP 22-250 and the fur damage was bad. I will not be shooting them straight on anymore..

Old 02-15-2012, 11:36 AM

Got another set of three coyotes. One mouth called the other two ecalled.The first one came into a coyote distress.

After that stand I moved a couple miles down the road and found another field to set up in. After 10 mins this guy showed up.

Had other plans mid day so I made it out that evening for one last stand.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:22 AM

Shot this coyote while out with Coyote243 and Bearen09.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator Princess View Post
Shot this coyote while out with Coyote243 and Bearen09.
That coyote is almost as big as you are Predator Princess!
Old 02-18-2012, 11:21 AM

Went up to my son's place this morning and he sets me up watching some very heavily used coyote trails. He heads a mile north of me to do the same.
From two different trails I had three come at the same time, picked the closest one and dropped it. I run out, take a picture and drag the coyote back to where I was set up.

A couple minutes later I hear a shot to the north and I swing my attention that direction. Its not long and I see four coyotes coming my way. Got one more out of the four.
Ryan shows up a bit later with 3 coyotes of his own.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:36 PM

Me and dirty barrel got out today for a little calling. I killed 4, db killed 2. Left 1 in the woods with a big ole hole in it after db dropped it less than 50 yds away. Got some skinning to do tonight.

ruger300
Old 02-18-2012, 07:39 PM

I think snowshoes entries should be disregarded for the contest, GREAT pics and im jelous of the dog numbers but a newbie like me cant win crap against all those entries Damn I gotta get out and get me some more yotes, I found a nice area while icefishing hopfully I can get permission tonight and Ill bring my rifle with me to end the day with a yote hunt, wont get no 50 but dogs 4 and 5 would be sweet
Old 02-18-2012, 08:55 PM

Default Not

17 Hmr who has dropped a yote with that
Old 02-18-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_rage View Post
I have dropped several with the 17hmr...personally the furthest one was 130 yards. But I called in one for a buddy who zipped it one shot in the chest went straight down @ 170 yards. I think anything within 150 yards should be a reasonable and effective distance....we use the 20gr XTP ammo though.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 02-18-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
i love it for yodies under 150yards head shots are the best
Old 02-18-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Iv shot exactly 8 with mine, nailed one in the throat at 225 yards, ran about 60 and toppled over, awesome coyote gun if you plan on skinning them out.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:49 AM

Opened the gun safe up this morning and decided to grab the 17 Fireball for a change. First stand I never fired a shot but yet seen 5 coyotes. Second stand I get coyotes challenge howling from a different bush a half mile away, so I pack up and hike the half mile and get right into their back yard. Challenge howled a pair in and took one at 84 yards. A 25gr. Berger @ just over 3800 fps drops the coyote right where it stood.
First time to take the 17FB this year, maybe something different again tomorrow and take the 20VT which I haven't had out yet this year either.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson340 View Post
Iv shot exactly 8 with mine, nailed one in the throat at 225 yards, ran about 60 and toppled over, awesome coyote gun if you plan on skinning them out.
Not sure I would call the HMR an awesone coyote gun as theres a lot better 17 caliber choices than the rimfire HMR.
Even the 17 cal. center fires are a very limited coyote cartridge.

I'll keep the HMR in the gun cabinet till the spring gophers show up
Old 02-19-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoes View Post
Not sure I would call the HMR an awesone coyote gun as theres a lot better 17 caliber choices than the rimfire HMR.
Even the 17 cal. center fires are a very limited coyote cartridge.

I'll keep the HMR in the gun cabinet till the spring gophers show up
I will bring up the whole shot placement thing again. Each coyote i shot with my HMR was a good placed shot, behind the front shoulder on a coyote at 120 yards, there lungs were jello, and a pin sized hole to boot. The one i hit in the throat, ok maybe that was a unethical shot to take, but none the less it got the job done, the only down fall i see with the .17 cal is how much wind effects the small projectile.