Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-11-2009, 10:34 AM

Default anyone fish thr tay river

What are the regs for the river, is it open? hows the fishing in there?
thanx in advance, If anyone is uncomfterble disclosing spots you can PM me Im thinking of headin out somewhare
Old 04-11-2009, 11:53 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
What are the regs for the river, is it open? hows the fishing in there?
thanx in advance, If anyone is uncomfterble disclosing spots you can PM me Im thinking of headin out somewhare
I'm not sure about currrent regulations or fishing conditions, but I used to fish the Tay, the last time being about 15yrs ago. There was fish in the system, seemed to be mostly brookies with the odd bull and cutty. A wonderfull stream for a 1,2,3 wt fly rod. Please release all native trout!!
MK
Old 04-11-2009, 04:08 PM

It's a pretty small river, more like a creek. I usually caught mostly brookies out of there. I drove by it yesterday and tossed a few lines, nothing.

It's a major quading area now with lots of trails going everywhere and you know what happens to the fishing when you mix the two together...

It's open as of april 1st
Old 04-11-2009, 08:03 PM

You've got to get off the beaten path on the Tay. I don't find quaders to be a problem where I fish, banks are steep and crossings are far and few between. I found beaver dams were more of a problem until the big flood a few years ago took them out. You have to use stealth on this river, it's kinda like hunting white tails. The brookies are willing to take a fly readily but the browns are spooky and selective.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNorther View Post
You've got to get off the beaten path on the Tay. I don't find quaders to be a problem where I fish, banks are steep and crossings are far and few between. I found beaver dams were more of a problem until the big flood a few years ago took them out. You have to use stealth on this river, it's kinda like hunting white tails. The brookies are willing to take a fly readily but the browns are spooky and selective.
Next time you head out on the Tay I would really like to tag along, shoot me a PM