Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-20-2017, 11:58 PM

Default Process your own?

I know a lot of people have probably done their own, as I've always taken it to a friends meat shop to get done I've never really had to do much. Now that he's moved away I'm seriously thinking of doing it on my own.
Thoughts and recommendations?

All it takes is for one man to misinterpret something and he can start a war that lasts for decades.
Anonymous
Old 04-21-2017, 12:16 AM

Default Some parts are dead easy

Cutting and wrapping steaks, roasts & stew are dead easy and require minimal investment (string, paper, tape, knives, steel, and an apron). There are a bunch of good YouTube vids on the topic along with a host of info on the Net.

Grinding is as easy (perhaps easier) but you need to invest in a grinder (and a scale for proper ratios). For a few hundred you will get one that will last a lifetime; keep it clean & sharp and you'll have to put in in your will for the kids.

Sausage and jerky are very feasible but a few more bucks yet (spices, casing, mixer, stuffer and maybe smoker) but you will probably earn back your investment in the first year or 2. I was amazed to learn how easy this step is given what I got charged every year for it. You can also tweak the mix for your preferences and you can make sausage any time of year so this step can be deferred outside of the fall.

The key ingredient is time. You need to set aside enough to do a good job no matter what scope you undertake. For me, even if it takes me twice as long I prefer my labor to theirs, kinda therapeutic really.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:57 AM

I do my own and really enjoy it. I would have a hard time taking it to someone now... We vac seal all of the cuts and we bag the ground. The thing I like the most is there is ZERO fat, sinew, hair, blood etc in our finished product. I probably go over board but I love the meat that I take out of the freezer and our dogs appreciate the trim.
I invested in a great grinder and sealer, have good knives and a couple cutting tables. Last year I built a cooler room that has seen a couple antelope and a few elk. It is a great addition.
Next year I've decided to get some sausage equipment and I'll be set!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2043.JPG (118.5 KB, 479 views)
Old 04-21-2017, 08:55 AM

Default Outstanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
I do my own and really enjoy it. I would have a hard time taking it to someone now... We vac seal all of the cuts and we bag the ground. The thing I like the most is there is ZERO fat, sinew, hair, blood etc in our finished product. I probably go over board but I love the meat that I take out of the freezer and our dogs appreciate the trim.
I invested in a great grinder and sealer, have good knives and a couple cutting tables. Last year I built a cooler room that has seen a couple antelope and a few elk. It is a great addition.
Next year I've decided to get some sausage equipment and I'll be set!
Your setup looks unreal, and so does the work on your meat. I like seeing that. Great job.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:05 AM

unless i'm strapped for time I do my own
if I don't have the time lets say get called back to work unexpectedly
then I get an abattoir to do it
by processing my own over the years I've saved thousands of dollars
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 04-21-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Your setup looks unreal, and so does the work on your meat. I like seeing that. Great job.
X2. Great job
Old 04-21-2017, 09:06 AM

Don K.

Wow, that's are great looking home cooler!

Terrific looking meat too, I also am super fussy with clean fat less meat. Do all my processing on our own. The young ins get in there too and help. Same as I did, over forty years ago. Why pay big bucks at a butcher.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:27 AM

I have only been hunting for 2 years now and have been processing my own from the start. YouTube was a great resource. Lots of great videos there. I do it all in my garage. I now own a grinder, scale, dehydrator and smoker. This year I plan on purchasing a good vacuum sealer and a real sausage stuffer(I've been using the attachments with the grinder for sausage and peperoni). I also make jerky.
Just take your time. Don't rush. It's very satisfying to take an animal from field to fork.

I've found that this lead to me wanting to learn how to cook more. Keeps me busy and out of trouble. Good luck and enjoy!

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 04-21-2017, 05:41 PM
Banned

$1100 for reefer trailer
$1500 for new cooler compressor
$350 for grinder
$250 for stainless cutting table
$100 for worksharp sharpener
$200 for flat iron hanging rail
$200 for meat hooks
$1000 for minute steak maker
$550 for freezer
Blast freezer donated
Hobart meat saw donated just gotta go get it
Can't remember how much knives cost
Can't remember what wrapping paper was worth.
Hunting,processing and eating you own meat PRICELESS