Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-24-2018, 10:28 AM

Default Trying to decide which propane ice auger to purchase?

Can't decide between the jiffy or the Eskimo model what are yours thoughts?
Thanks
Old 02-24-2018, 10:45 AM

Default Propane Augers

I have a jiffy pro4 lite. I like it a lot. Decent power for propane, starts on 2 or 3 pulls, and usually use two bottles per season. It’s also 28 lbs. Like other jiffy propane models I had some carb and regulator issues which were fixed under their 5 year warranty. It doesn’t idle that well and under partial throttle it will stall but under full throttle it cuts like a champ. So I usually start it and give it full throttle until my hole is cut.

It might seem like a headache at first but I haven’t had an auger that wasn’t. Once you learn how to use it I am still pretty pleased with it. If you are local to Edmonton send me a pm. We can meet up and you can try it out for yourself. That’s the best way to evaluate anything.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:39 PM

Jiffy they gotta good reputation
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:21 PM

the best propane augers are the ones that dont use propane!

But I would seriously check out the Eskimo P1 Rocket! Buddy has an 8" one and it cuts quick!
Old 02-24-2018, 04:28 PM

I have a 10” Eskimo P1, only drilled 17 holes so far but I like it. It’s gonna be on sale at Cabela’s March 1 for about $500 according to the sales guy I talked to when I bought mine a few weeks ago. I like that it comes with a quick detach unit that adds a few extra inches to the auger length. I also like that it’s a 4 stoke and the exhaust fumes in my shack are much more tolerable than a 2 stoke
Old 02-26-2018, 01:27 PM

I have the Eskimo propane and I love it. Much lighter than the gas, starts with one easy pull anytime and every time, blades wear well, no stink and mess like gas/oil mixes and the little propane cylinders are pretty easy to find/store/swap out.

Propane is the way to go IMO.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I have the Eskimo propane and I love it. Much lighter than the gas, starts with one easy pull anytime and every time, blades wear well, no stink and mess like gas/oil mixes and the little propane cylinders are pretty easy to find/store/swap out.

Propane is the way to go IMO.
How much running time, or holes, do you get out of a bottle?

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-26-2018, 06:25 PM

My hunting/fishing buddy has a jiffy propane auger and he Has been having nothing but problems. Multiple trips to get it serviced, phone calls to jiffy and even “upgraded parts” that were all suppose to solve the problem. I told him the problem is it’s propane and no mechanic can fix that lol. I know nothing about propane augers except for what I’ve experinced. I have a husqavarna and paid a lot for it. But it’s never been to the shop, Starts ever time by the 3rd pull and it’s lighter and quieter then most models.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:09 PM
Banned

Are you set on a gas/propane auger? I picked up an ION (electric) last year and can't see ever fiddling with a gas/propane again. Fishing in an ice shack the reverse auger function is really handy as well.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:03 AM

My father in law just got the ION 8" electric auger. Man, what an amazing machine quiet and has lots of torque , pushes through hole like hot knife through butter. No more pulling cord, no more worrying if the cord will break, no more wondering if it will start. You can drill holes in your tent/shack and no fumes. We drilled at least 15 holes yesterday and it was barely off full mark. It is light and the battery is compact and the charging system is simple.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:27 AM

I'd take a propane over an electric any day for the type of fishing I do.

I like the look of the new Eskimo P1. I have used EZM's HC40 and I liked it more then my buddies Jiffy propane except for how heavy it was. The new P1 I believe uses the same engine and has a higher gear ratio transmission so won't have as much torque but it will cut faster(which is ok as the HC40 had tons of torque for even 10 inch bits), from what I have seen so far most guys are liking it. It is also 6 lbs lighter then the old HC40 so they made big improvements in that regard.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:50 AM

Default Which propane auger?

No question the Jiffy is the one to get. I drill 20- 100+ holes a day & average 20"-30" deep and get 400+ holes a bottle. Starts on second pull always. 5 + yrs and not an issue. Plus no mixing or nasty gas fumes.A Friend works at Cabelas & in 3+ years not one American made Jiffy has had a return. Compared to a ton of made in China Eskimo,s. Seeing as how new they are in the propane models it's a no brainer the Jiffy!
Old 02-28-2018, 11:32 AM

My buddy has the Eskimo propane auger. It's considerably lighter than my gas Eskimo Z51, but it does cut slower. It's a nice unit.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskieboy View Post
No question the Jiffy is the one to get. I drill 20- 100+ holes a day & average 20"-30" deep and get 400+ holes a bottle. Starts on second pull always. 5 + yrs and not an issue. Plus no mixing or nasty gas fumes.A Friend works at Cabelas & in 3+ years not one American made Jiffy has had a return. Compared to a ton of made in China Eskimo,s. Seeing as how new they are in the propane models it's a no brainer the Jiffy!
Sorry but this is just not true...

You don't get anywhere near 400 holes on a single bottle especially in 20+ inch ice.

Right from Jiffy

https://www.jiffyonice.com/Service-S...vice-FAQs-PRO4

Quote:
Average conditions should allow about 100 to 150 holes through 24 inches of ice.
As for dependability I have seen issues on both Jiffy and Eskimo augers.

The Jiffy propane units do work well but have less torque then the Eskimo HC40(not sure how the new P1 with faster transmission compares) and although I like the Jiffy in the 8 inch version the old Eskimo HC40 was far superior when using a 10 inch bit. The new P1 has faster gear ratio and will therefore have less torque so might not work as good with 10 inch bits but I am not sure as I haven't used one yet.

Jiffy is now changing their model numbers and will be offering the 44PRO and 46X-TREME. From what I understand the 44PRO is equivalent to their old lite model(with 38 cc engine) and the X-Treme is equivalent to the Pro4(49 cc).

I would definitely go with the X-treme if choosing a Jiffy although it is significantly heavier(then both the 44Pro and the new Eskimo P1).
Old 03-02-2018, 12:38 PM

Went with a new Eskimo as Oiled the warranty length thanks for all the replies