Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-02-2009, 05:59 PM

Default New To Bow Hunting

I am looking to get into bow hunting this year. I have been hunting and fishing all my life , but never had a bow. I am looking for any information on a honest reliable dealer who wont bullshoot me into huge cost of things I dont need. Or a good fella on here with used equipment for entry level shooter. And I am sure there is ranges that I could attend for shooting and get use of a few bows before I decide what to buy.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:04 PM

I, Like you, am new to bow hunting. I shoot a PSE Stinger, got it for christmas. Really good bow, really nice to shoot. I have never been, but i have heards nothing but good thigs about Jimbows. Also, BPS has a good looking archery section, with a range, so you could get out and shoot a few different bows.

Welcome to the sport.

Jeff
Old 04-02-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
I am looking to get into bow hunting this year. I have been hunting and fishing all my life , but never had a bow. I am looking for any information on a honest reliable dealer who wont bullshoot me into huge cost of things I dont need. Or a good fella on here with used equipment for entry level shooter. And I am sure there is ranges that I could attend for shooting and get use of a few bows before I decide what to buy.
Your in calgary? Head to JIMBOWS
Old 04-02-2009, 06:14 PM

Thumbs up

I just picked out a black mamba x2 from Calgary Archery Center they where very helpful and have a good selection of demo bows to try out. and for $10.00 you can shoot all day from 20 - 40 yds. I know alot of guys say the same for jimbow customer service as well in fact I purchased my sons pse there. Both are quality places to purchase a bow
Old 04-02-2009, 07:17 PM

I agree, I like both shops. I live in Chapparal so the Calgary Archery Centre is way closer for me. I have bought a couple of bows and loads of other stuff there, good service - talk to Craig or Brian.

I used to work up near Jim-Bows so I used to shoot there quite a bit, really nice guy - just too far from home for me.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:25 PM

Jimbows has the best service hands down in my opinion. Ive had a bad experience with Calgary archery center, but I guess that could happen anywhere. Jim is always willing to go the extra mile for his customers.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:36 PM

Default Jim Bows

I was in to try bows at Jim Bows on Monday. I am a first time shooter/buyer so I don't really know any of the other shops but Jim was fantastic! He took me through all the bows taught me how to shoot and answered all my questions. His staff seemed right on and more than willing to help and give useful tips and explain why they did what they did. Great experiance there. I ended up with one of his 2008 Diamond Nitrous that was all rigged up. Can't say enough about that place and the service... I think they have a life long patron. Hope that helps
Joe
Old 04-03-2009, 11:46 AM

Hey guys thanks for the info I think I will go and try my luck at shooting a few bows before I shell out the cash on one. Thanks again to you all
Old 04-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
I agree, I like both shops. I live in Chapparal so the Calgary Archery Centre is way closer for me. I have bought a couple of bows and loads of other stuff there, good service - talk to Craig or Brian.

I shoot there quite a bit, and I've been buying my gear there for quite a few years, so I know all the staff pretty well, and we get along good because of our history.... but I hafta say, I've seen the attitude they give new guys and inexperienced guys, and if I was a first timer walking in there, and getting spoken to the way a couple of these guys do, I sure would high tail outta there and straight to Jim.

And since I'm bashing them while hiding behind my keyboard anyway, Als wife Lorna really drives me nuts. When you phone, or drop in looking for something, and already know that she dosn't know jack about what shes talking about and ask to talk to one of the boys, you can't get past the woman till you tell her what you're looking for, wait for her to realize she dosn't have a clue what that is, then go get one of the boys. By then they're busy with something/somebody else and you gotta wait all friggin day.

I understand that it saves Al money to have his wife work the counter, and I can appreciate that, but send her out to deliver food or something, she dosn't belong in a pro-shop lol.

Last edited by lilsundance; 04-03-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerdBull View Post
I understand that it saves Al money to have his wife work the counter, and I can appreciate that, but send her out to deliver food or something, she dosn't belong in a pro-shop lol.
Comment Deleted.....not worth the time.

Last edited by lilsundance; 04-03-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:11 PM

JImbows.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Comment Deleted.....not worth the time.
I figgered somebody would get the joke......
Old 04-10-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munyee4321 View Post
Your in calgary? Head to JIMBOWS
I agree. JimBows all the way. Very honest and a good guy. Will not sell you something you don't need or that doesn't work for you.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Henry David Thoreau

"And we'll drink but not to forget
But to remember instead
All our happy years."

- Lowest of the Low, Subversives
Old 04-19-2009, 09:20 AM

YEP, Jimbow's. Awesome store and guy. He will give you what you need and wont sell you something you dont need. Check him out.