Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-24-2009, 11:33 AM

Default Thompson Center the Saga.

Some of you might remember my previous post of " Not sure what to do? Extremely Frustrated!" Well I used some of the advice that was given and did some of the things to the Thompson. I went and got the Sims Limbsaver and put it on and went to the Genesee Range and sighted it in. The recoil wasn't that bad but I was glad to have the limbsaver on it. It took sometime to sight it in. I ended up having to go back the nexts day to fine tune it but even then the grouping wasn't what I liked. So the nexts day off to go Elk hunting. On the drive up my mind was on the rifle and needless to say I had no confidence in it. I just felt that this style of rifle isn't for me. Most people love them. Me I'm not a fan. So I get to the camp after a 3hr drive and I'm with my 5 hunting buddies. We're all excited about the nexts 5days dreaming about potential Elk we're going to see and get etc. We decide to watch a hunting video in the trailer. While watching the video it was both bow and shooting all the shooters are using Thompsons. Of course they all play up how great the rifle is. ( one other thing we all notice is caribou have no will to live) Again I tell my buddies my frustrations that I"ve been having with my Thompson. The 2 of them run a gun store on the side and say that they might have a rifle that I might like better that is better suited for me in the same caliber and that we can look at it at the end of the trip. So the nexts dayoff into the bush. Nothin. In fact no elk anywhere. We saw 2 deer. One we could have shot when we drove up on it by quad to within 20 feet and it stood there looking at us. What's the point? The other was after dark. Anyways had a good trip anyways. Went and looked at the other rifle. It's a Winchester Super Grade in 7mm rem mag. It's in beautiful shape and the trigger has no creep, nice and crisp. I've decided to sell the Thompson to someone who will get better use out of it then me so I have it listed. I guess I'm not suited for that style of gun and I'm fine with that. So If you're interested you know where to look. Thanks again for all the help.

SycoSean