Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-24-2014, 07:45 PM

Default HDS and maps

Buddy of mine got an early Birthday present from his Girlfriend, HDS 10...must be doing something right! One of the questions he asked I didn't have an answer and it had to do with maps for that system. He went on the Navionics website where there were dozens of Alberta lakes listed but none he fishes or interested in...Crawling, Newell, McGregor, Rolling and Badger etc! These lakes for the most part have been around for awhile and are very popular along with being pretty good, so are there maps out there for purchase or is he looking in the wrong place? He's not a member so I thought I would ask...thx!
Old 06-24-2014, 07:56 PM

Wow, I never realized Navionics had such poor coverage in southern Ab. I haven't even fished down there and recognize those lakes whereas up here Navionics seems to have a surprising amount of lakes.

Looks like your only bet is to make your own using insight genesis.

Honestly I don't find the navionics charts to be that helpful other then pointing out very obvious drop offs etc, the rest of the data is too poorly done to be that useful. The main thing I enjoy about having Navionics is just being able to see the lake outline but I believe the HDS already has a decent background map does it not?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:27 AM

I have an HDS and live in southern Alberta, and yes the coverage is poor for most of the popular lakes most of us like to fish down here. I haven't found any other charts for purchase for the HDS that show anything more.

I tend to use the ESRD maps which has maps of most of these southern lakes for free online and then print them out. Some are pretty decent maps.
http://esrd.alberta.ca/forms-maps-se...s/default.aspx

Good luck!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:31 AM

Have him get familiar with insight Genesis. It is the best way to go especially with a unit like that. There is some data up that he can us but he can make is own and use community info to generate good maps
Old 06-25-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Foss View Post
Have him get familiar with insight Genesis. It is the best way to go especially with a unit like that. There is some data up that he can us but he can make is own and use community info to generate good maps
I agree and somewhere down the road we will have better mapping.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.