Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2017, 12:13 PM

Arrow "You Never, Ever, Quit ... Not When It's For Real"

Major David Currie, South Alberta Regiment, 1944

"On August 18, 1944, Major David Currie led 200 men and a dozen M4 Sherman tanks into the town of St. Lambert-sur-Dives, France in order to block the escape route of the German 7th Army out of the Falaise Pocket. Though hugely outnumbered by a detachment of the German 2nd Panzer Division, the actions that Currie and his men took effectively sealed off the only escape route for the Germans. For his efforts, Currie earned the Victoria Cross, the highest military gallantry decoration in the British Commonwealth."

Link ... http://www.westernhorsereview.com/bl...quit-not-real/

Selkirk
Old 11-11-2017, 01:09 PM

Because of what the Canadians sacrificed on the battlefields of Europe is why I was born a Canadian.

We Shall Never Forget!
Old 11-11-2017, 03:07 PM

Good story. I wonder how many here descend from The Bad Guys?? I am. My parents immigrated here from Germany in 1953. My maternal grandfather fought in both wars. In WW1, he was an officer in the cavalry. In WW2, he was captured and spent the last couple years in a POW camp in southern France. My mom, her sister and her mother had no idea if he was live or dead until after the war ended and he came walking up the driveway. In the meantime, her town and many others were bombed into oblivion and they were running out of food. Thanks to General Marshall and the Marshall Plan, Germans did not starve to death. To this day, she is very grateful. But she chooses to spend most of November remembering and mourning the horrors she lived through.

Just another perspective. By the way, her father won the Iron Cross twice, I believe.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 11-11-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
Good story. I wonder how many here descend from The Bad Guys?? I am. My parents immigrated here from Germany in 1953. My maternal grandfather fought in both wars. In WW1, he was an officer in the cavalry. In WW2, he was captured and spent the last couple years in a POW camp in southern France. My mom, her sister and her mother had no idea if he was live or dead until after the war ended and he came walking up the driveway. In the meantime, her town and many others were bombed into oblivion and they were running out of food. Thanks to General Marshall and the Marshall Plan, Germans did not starve to death. To this day, she is very grateful. But she chooses to spend most of November remembering and mourning the horrors she lived through.

Just another perspective. By the way, her father won the Iron Cross twice, I believe.
I am a German descendant as well. My grandfather fought for Germany in WW1 and came to Canada in the '20s. He never told my dad anything about the war. I guess they were very nervous during WW2 about possibly being interned; which never did happen.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:01 PM

Thumbs down Hollywood

The story of Canada's Major Currie, in brief - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYkv5wjnvu8

If Currie and his men were Americans, Hollywood would have made a major blockbuster movie about his story and what he and his men accomplished in the Falaise Pocket, and elsewhere. But no, Currie and his men were Canadians, so Hollywood turned a blind eye.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
The story of Canada's Major Currie, in brief - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYkv5wjnvu8

If Currie and his men were Americans, Hollywood would have made a major blockbuster movie about his story and what he and his men accomplished in the Falaise Pocket, and elsewhere. But no, Currie and his men were Canadians, so Hollywood turned a blind eye.
Sounds like a great place to spend cultural dollars.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-12-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post

Except for the Falaise Gap only existed due to American failures on the field of battle.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:15 PM

My father was fighting just north of the Falaise Gap from August 16 to August 23. He said the stink from dead horses and men was incredible. Lots of Germans surrendered there I was told.