Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-20-2012, 12:18 AM

Question Gps

looking to buy one . Just not sure which gps unit will do what i want.I would like to get one that you can get all the wmu's on it . HELP
Old 06-20-2012, 06:54 AM

I've ahd a couple Garmins that have been hanging in there pretty good. They seem to be quite easy to use. I am getting a newer one with the map feature as a safety award so am looking forward to checking it out. Overall I think they have a pretty good product.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:42 AM
Banned

Look at Oregon and Dakotas by Garmin. If you throw in Backroad Mapbooks maps you will be all set.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:55 AM

I use the new Garmin 62 ST. It is nice becuase it has Birds Eye Satellite capability. (Most of the new garmins have this). I found the Satelite overlay to be a huge help when hunting in the bush or walking through cutblocks becuase you can see how far you are from utlines and block edges etc... its great.

Plus this one has a camera built in which is a nice feature for geotagging all your photos.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanka View Post
I use the new Garmin 62 ST. It is nice becuase it has Birds Eye Satellite capability. (Most of the new garmins have this). I found the Satelite overlay to be a huge help when hunting in the bush or walking through cutblocks becuase you can see how far you are from utlines and block edges etc... its great.

Plus this one has a camera built in which is a nice feature for geotagging all your photos.
Birds Eye only works if the area of your interest is in HIGH RES.

Bruce.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpbear View Post
looking to buy one . Just not sure which gps unit will do what i want.I would like to get one that you can get all the wmu's on it . HELP
Go with a Garmin GPS Unit, look at all the new models, the Oregon's and the 62 are great units but the Montana's have the largest screen of the hand helds. Also 2 of the 3 versions has a 5 MP camera that will Geo Tag the Pictures. Purchase the Backroad GPS Maps on the DVD, they have the WMU in them, you can then make your own micro sd's. As well as printing out Maps. The micro sd Cards/SD Cards, do not read in the computer. Its hard to plan a trip on the small GPS screen, when you can use the computer.

K B4 Y G. Bruce.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V_1 View Post
Look at Oregon and Dakotas by Garmin. If you throw in Backroad Mapbooks maps you will be all set.

Oregon + Backroads.

With regard to the WMU's, the issue isn't so much the GPS itself as the mapping software you buy to run on it. Backroads has the WMU's on it, plus a lot more.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:44 AM

I opted for a portable Nuvi to have bigger screen and flexibility and have backroads on it, luv it
Old 06-20-2012, 10:15 AM

You can over lay the wmu over Ur maps with Ur garmin,
I have a 62st. It works good
Old 06-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Oregon + Backroads.

With regard to the WMU's, the issue isn't so much the GPS itself as the mapping software you buy to run on it. Backroads has the WMU's on it, plus a lot more.
One reservation tho. Wildland PPs in last edition od BRMB (v3) are painted GREEN and its really hard to read relief (grey!) because of that. I had to roll un upgrade back and also install ibicus as plan B for the future. Ibicus as you does not have WMU boundaries but looks like normal topo map and relief is very clear.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
I opted for a portable Nuvi to have bigger screen and flexibility and have backroads on it, luv it
Can you load your Tracks/Trails/Wpoints from your Nuvi to the Garmin MapSource/ Base Camp Software and share it with others?

K B4 Y G, Bruce.