Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 PM

Default Expensive rods vs Ugly Sticks

There has been much debate about the expensive rods vs ugly sticks that has spilled over into many threads.

This thread is for the grand debate of Expensive Rods vs Ugly sticks.

Lets hear your opinion..

Which is better and why?
Old 08-20-2013, 12:59 PM

Just my humble opinion.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:09 PM

Same feces different location.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:19 PM

Who cares, really? Use what's best for your situation. Whether it's how much you can afford to spend on gear or how much you're fishing or what you're fishing for, find a rod that fits your situation.

Personally, I don't get out fishing that much in the summer (maybe 3 or 4 times) so I don't see the need to have anything more than $30-50 rod and similar priced reel...

I have a cherrywood berkley rod and mitchell reel and I can use it, and have used it, to fish for everything in Alberta except sturgeon. Now, if I was fishing 3 or 4 times a week or fishing in tournaments every weekend, then I could justify having more expensive gear that is specialized to fish for certain species. But right now, what I have does the trick and I don't need to spend $200 on a fishing rod....

With that said, if people prefer an ugly stick rod, who in the hell am I (or is anyone for that matter) to tell them they need to spend another $100 to get themselves a "real" rod...
Old 08-20-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post

I have a cherrywood berkley rod and mitchell reel and I can use it, and have used it, to fish for everything in Alberta except sturgeon.

My first big Geon (4feet) was on a cherrywood, it can be done its just far from ideal. Had to change the top guide after that battle though. Cheap rod and cheap guides. Still works. Just doesn't get used anymore.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 08-20-2013, 02:13 PM

I would just always buy the cheapest rod with the longest handle, so when I'd use bait on a rig, I could just stuff the rod into the mud and not worry if I wrecked it.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:20 PM

Many of my best catches of Bow River browns and Rainbows came from my $20 Zebco telescopic rod/reel combo, it lasted at least 4 years until a monster rainbow came along and broke the tip and crushed my lure. (but I still landed it).
Old 08-20-2013, 01:28 PM

Alright….

To add some actual content here…

Until last year I had never heard of the ugly stick. It had come highly recommended amongst a few anglers I know.

My Costco special was more than adequate and boating 15+ lb pike. It did feel a little “light” but it did the job.

I had picked up an Ugly stick combo as a spare a few months ago from the Fishin’ Hole. After lending out my Costco special to my brother I had a chance to use the ugly stick.

I have found the feel of the Ugly Stick to be more than adequate for also landing numerous decent sized walleye and large pike. The Ugly Stick does not have as much bend when I have a large fish on the line.

I have found both rods to have decent feel and it is easy to detect bites on the line. Every time I head out I have no problem locating and boating a plethora of walleye and pike. Whitefish.. well that is a different story.

I have not ventured into the “expensive” rods yet as I do not feel it will help my catch rate.

I have no issues picking up a more expensive rod for my adventures, but convince me why a $200.00 or $300.00 rod is superior than what I have.

I get out in the boat about 2 times a week..
Old 08-20-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I have not ventured into the “expensive” rods yet as I do not feel it will help my catch rate.
Far too many people have an opinion on this subject, and often a strong one at that, but have no real world experience to base that opinion on.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Far too many people have an opinion on this subject, and often a strong one at that, but have no real world experience to base that opinion on.
How can too many people have an opinion on something? Almost everyone has an opinion on most things.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post
There has been much debate about the expensive rods vs ugly sticks that has spilled over into many threads.

Lets hear your opinion..

Which is better and why?
Ug Stix have there purpose. They are very strong, reliable, and cheap. Not very sensitive. Plenty of better rods out there for sensitivity. You get what you pay for. There's a ton of rods out there, all suited for different types of fishn. Fly rods are better than em alljus kidn...or am I
Old 04-25-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post

Lets hear your opinion..

Which is better and why?
Probably depends on what you are fishing for.

For the last dozen years I've used nothing but Sage 3106's set up for a center pin for fishing off the West Coast. Custom built with silicone carbide guides, Fuji reel seats, beautiful cork, etc...I've got 5 all set up with Islander MR2's. Probably around $1200 a rod/reel. Worth every penny to me.

For an example, I've had a big smiley on the end of the line that is running for all he's worth straight for the boat while I'm reeling like mad trying to catch up with him. You can actually feel a shudder in the rod as he changes direction and that half a split second is enough to get your fingers off the knobs and start palming them before he's peeling line out again.

Can you still have fun and catch fish with an Ugly Stick? Sure. Is spending 5 times as much money for a Sage that you would spend for an Ugly Stick for everyone? Probably not.

I used to fish off the West Coast of Vancouver Island in the range of 30 - 40 days a summer. Over the years I've used every kind of rod made. I've never enjoyed fighting a fish as much as when I'm doing it with a 3106. I took a good buddy out a few years ago that always fished with a Fenwick 1264 and he always claimed that I was crazy for spending over twice as much for my Sages. One trip and he was sold. The next year the 1264's were gone and he was using a 3106.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:33 AM

i like my temple fork outfitters gary loomis spinning rod sensitive but not to stiff

i dont like how stiff the high graphite rods are
Old 04-26-2014, 06:35 AM

Default Here's the facts ...

I sold the Schtix to stores for many years. Here's some important facts.
If your a shore fisher ,this is the rod for you . If a guy comes along and
Has bottled beer and no opener ,you have a 6 ' 6" one and can help him out.
If your all ****ed up and fall on your rod ,no problem , kids step on it
No problem . Don't catch any fish ....you have a built in excuse .
Nothing casts a pickerel rig ,with a spark plug weight into the NSR
Like a stik . If you buy a 30k or more fishin machine ,first thing you
Will notice is how out of place those stiks look .....upgrade .
Go down to the dock at PCR or Travers ,you want to see Stiks
Papa,mama ,the ten little &$@$& all have the steek .
The most important feature is when using those rod holders that
Stick into the mud ,the stik handle always fits ,it's like Shakespeare
Knew who you were . Hey and it's not like you got sucked in to buying
A St. Croix piece of crap . In other words it's like you bought a custom
Just for you .

Always glad to help ...
Old 04-26-2014, 07:52 AM

Default sweet spot

Personally, I think there is a sweet spot for both rods and reels at about $100 mark where you get 90% of the quality of the really expensive stuff at about one fifth of the cost. If you really want that extra 10% of the sensitivity or smoothness go for it. Ugly sticks (and I have one) just don't make the cut. To get value for the dollar but a Compre, HMG, eyecon, elitetech or comparable rod.

Can an ugly stick catch fish..... yes... so what that is meaningless. You can catch big fish with a hand line too. If you are going to spend a pile of money on gas, bait, boat etch to go fishing invest in some decent gear to really enjoy the experience.

That being said, if an ugly stick makes you happy..... enjoy. But please stop trying convert the rest of us. We know about them we have tried them and we have found then to be sub-standard for most applications.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoo View Post
Personally, I think there is a sweet spot for both rods and reels at about $100 mark where you get 90% of the quality of the really expensive stuff at about one fifth of the cost. If you really want that extra 10% of the sensitivity or smoothness go for it. Ugly sticks (and I have one) just don't make the cut. To get value for the dollar but a Compre, HMG, eyecon, elitetech or comparable rod.

Can an ugly stick catch fish..... yes... so what that is meaningless. You can catch big fish with a hand line too. If you are going to spend a pile of money on gas, bait, boat etch to go fishing invest in some decent gear to really enjoy the experience.

That being said, if an ugly stick makes you happy..... enjoy. But please stop trying convert the rest of us. We know about them we have tried them and we have found then to be sub-standard for most applications.
X2
I spend $80-$130 on my rods. St croix or fenwicks. Although there's an eyecon out of my price the I want badly haha
Old 04-26-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoo View Post

There are times when I purposely use a glass rod, and others when I will use one of my graphite or bamboo rods, but you won't catch me in the lower reaches of the Athabasca with a high dollar rod, nor will you find me fishing clear water conditions with a cheaper glass rod.
They all have their place.....
Cat
Old 04-26-2014, 10:33 AM

My first walleye rod was a Loomis GL2 with a Shimano CI4 2500 attached. Went fishing to Slave last June with a bunch of seasoned walleye fishermen. I caught my first walleye on that trip.

A member of this forum whose name I won't mention (sns2), fished with me in my boat. I was having lots of bites plus was landing lots of fish. The other guy in the boat (sns2) was not faring nearly as well. Then, we switched rods. Immediately, he began getting bites and landing fish but I was much less successful.

The fact of the matter is that with his El Cheapo rod, it was difficult to feel the light bites due to the insensitivity of his rod. With the GL2, both of us could detect the tap tap tap of walleyes.

This spring, I ordered a Loomis WJR 751S GLX from TFH. I plan on attaching a Shimano Sustain 1000 reel to it. It has increased sensitivity over my GL2 and I look forward to fishing with it. If sns2 plays his card right, I MIGHT consider allowing him to fish with my GL2 when we're out catching walleye together. Provided he ensures I catch more walleye than he does.

Bobby B.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:01 AM

I have a 15yr. old 8ft. ugly and it is a beast! I love it. Take ocean fishing, dino hunting and the odd pike bite. Quality and usage is important. If you tournament fish or put in 100+ days a year I'd go higher end. Better balance, guides, handles and strength. Like golf and clubs you get what you pay for but value can be found in certain brands from their value lines.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:28 AM

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat104823180

vs

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat104823180

To most is a simply a money issue

to say that you can't bring in a World Record with a cheaper rod is not true

but does the more expensive rod increase your odds the answer is yes

as always this is

Food for Thought

David
Old 08-21-2014, 02:01 PM

I haven't read many posts so hope this isn't overlapping. I own a fenwick ($90 6'6" rod) with a cheap cabelas reel. I also have an ugly stick. There is no comparison with the feel. The Fenwick by far is the better rod. My primary target is walleye and I find strikes I wouldn't feel with the ugly stick are way more discernible with the Fenwick. That being said, it is just a subtle difference that perhaps a novice wouldn't understand immediately. The ugly stick is good bang for buck and performs well enough.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:20 PM

Did you happen to notice if that GLoomis was available in a spinning version?