Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-24-2020, 05:47 AM

Default Cypress Hills elk draw change

Does anyone know why the Either sex elk draw in Cypress hills has been split to Cow or Bull only? If so what will be the ratio of tags 1/3 bull, 2/3 cow etc.

As i have hunted there a few times it was nice to have an opportunity at either sex. Assume it is to simplify the draw process with less draw codes?

Let me know what you think.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:24 AM

Basically to increase the draw times for antlered elk. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that 95% of those that were applying for that tag are going to put in for a antlered tag so they can gain priorities in the antlered draws which will in turn make it harder to put an antlered tag. People already beotch about the wait times!
Old 05-24-2020, 06:52 AM

I agree most people believe they will shoot a massive bull out of this hunt. As i am led to believe, the origins of this hunt was for herd control.

Well will see how the change works, only time will tell.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:08 PM

Default Curious

So how will they pick what priority you will receive,I have a decent number for the draw but will I get to pick bull or cow ? Or will they just appoint me in direction they want,should be interesting on this decision,yaaaay
Old 05-24-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
So how will they pick what priority you will receive,I have a decent number for the draw but will I get to pick bull or cow ? Or will they just appoint me in direction they want,should be interesting on this decision,yaaaay
As an applicant for the affected draw code I got an e-mail explaining exactly how the transfer process will work.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
As an applicant for the affected draw code I got an e-mail explaining exactly how the transfer process will work.
So did I in other words you pick Antler or Antlerless and that’s where your priority continues off.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:00 AM

This change has been asked for by the AFGA for a few years. The problem with the either sex hunt there is that the hunt is supposed to be for population management. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the kills have been small 1-2 year old bulls as they run with the cows during the hunts. This change is designed to bring it back to what they want so they can better manage the population. As for the ratios, we will have to wait until we put our draws in as they are now showing us the quotas before we enter our draws.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:13 AM

I haven’t really been following this hunt too close lately but it looks as though you can go any of the listed weeks now (as of 2018 as I look at previous draw books)
Also I assume the carried over priority is just for Cypress Hills, meaning you can’t carry that priority over to other WMU’s, correct?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz 700 View Post
I haven’t really been following this hunt too close lately but it looks as though you can go any of the listed weeks now (as of 2018 as I look at previous draw books)
Also I assume the carried over priority is just for Cypress Hills, meaning you can’t carry that priority over to other WMU’s, correct?

Thanks
Incorrect on both accounts. You pick a week to hunt and that's your only hunt. It has always been that way and nothing has changed. And with carrying over the priority. It doesn't say anywhere that you cannot carry it to other WMU's. Seeing as though priority is draw code specific and not zone specific then you will see why that is not the case. I actually called Albertarelm about these changes as my wife has a priority 4 for either sex and a 2 for antlered elk. The lady on the phone actually tried to tell me exactly what you were saying about priority because she was thinking that's what it said. She couldn't say what exactly written was saying that. However, she dug deeper into a memo they had and it corrected her and she relented that it in fact could be transferred to any zone through the draw code.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
Incorrect on both accounts. You pick a week to hunt and that's your only hunt. It has always been that way and nothing has changed. And with carrying over the priority. It doesn't say anywhere that you cannot carry it to other WMU's. Seeing as though priority is draw code specific and not zone specific then you will see why that is not the case. I actually called Albertarelm about these changes as my wife has a priority 4 for either sex and a 2 for antlered elk. The lady on the phone actually tried to tell me exactly what you were saying about priority because she was thinking that's what it said. She couldn't say what exactly written was saying that. However, she dug deeper into a memo they had and it corrected her and she relented that it in fact could be transferred to any zone through the draw code.
There is only 2 places where that draw code exists... the other place is Camp Wainwright, at least there you get 15 or so days.

The regs state this,

 The Either Sex elk hunting seasons in Cypress Hills (WMUs 116, 118, 119 and 624) have been changed to Antlered or Antlerless Elk Special Licences. Priority will automatically be transferred from Either Sex draw code to the draw code that has been applied for.

Not sure what happens if you hold any antlered or antlerless priority alone? I guys you enter the draw using the either/or code and select what season and type of draw you want to put in for?

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 06-08-2020 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:33 AM

Sounds like they don't even know what is happening. Which isn't a big surprise. My buddy has a high Cypress priority and they told him it wouldn't transfer over till next year. They said if he put in for an antlered zone this year he would be at 0 until next year and then it will transfer over.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
There is only 2 places where that draw code exists... the other place is Camp Wainwright, at least there you get 15 or so days.

The regs state this,

 The Either Sex elk hunting seasons in Cypress Hills (WMUs 116, 118, 119 and 624) have been changed to Antlered or Antlerless Elk Special Licences. Priority will automatically be transferred from Either Sex draw code to the draw code that has been applied for.

Not sure what happens if you hold any antlered or antlerless priority alone? I guys you enter the draw using the either/or code and select what season and type of draw you want to put in for?

LC
The memo the lady from albertarelm had said the either sex priority will be added to which ever of the antlered or antlerless priority you apply for. She said if my wife applied for antlered elk her priority 4 either sex would be added to the 2 from antlered. We decided to just go the antlerless route anyways so she can get a cow tag again this year. one of the things that has me giving it little confidence is that when I applied it shows her priority for antlerless is a 0. The lady said the priority will be added once the draws close. Hopefully that is the case and I don't have to spend another hour on hold to get through to them.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan83 View Post
Sounds like they don't even know what is happening. Which isn't a big surprise. My buddy has a high Cypress priority and they told him it wouldn't transfer over till next year. They said if he put in for an antlered zone this year he would be at 0 until next year and then it will transfer over.
I was told by them that as soon as the draws close the priority will then transfer over. If he applies this year it should move over this year. I agree that they don't really know whats going on either. The day after the booklet was released I called them with the same questions and they had no idea the changes had even been made.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
I was told by them that as soon as the draws close the priority will then transfer over. If he applies this year it should move over this year. I agree that they don't really know whats going on either. The day after the booklet was released I called them with the same questions and they had no idea the changes had even been made.
Wow that sounds reassuring
Old 06-08-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Wow that sounds reassuring
No kidding hey. I told her I am fully expecting to have to call to complain when it doesn't work and she doesn't get her elk tag. the lady laughed and admitted that its a very real possibility.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:30 PM

So you can still draw for wainwright either sex elk correct ? With the same draw code I think ....