Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-26-2020, 04:44 PM

Default 2020 Bear Hunt adventure!!

Disclaimer. I know it’s way early to be baiting I usually don’t bother until April but I didn’t care this year. Combination of needing to get out of the house and having tracks on my side by side for the first time got me excited to put them to the test!

I am excited to be back out baiting bears after about a 2 year hiatus. Changing up my bait locations completely going from north of Bonnyville to north west of Mayerthorpe. Simply to cut down on travel time to baits and it’s on my route up to My spot and stalk area making it convenient to do both on one outing. Plan is to fill one tag on baits and one spot and stalk this year!

Excited about scouting new lands I started studying google earth for days to nail in some promising locations. Once I had that I moved to looking at the land owners maps and found some lease owners with contacts that matched some private that boarders crown, the crown I wanted in on! I Mustard up the courage to make the calls for permission as we needed to use their private quarters to get back there and made the calls (I always equate this to what it was like as teens asking a girl for a date! Afraid to get rejected or telling your buddies with excitement when u don’t haha)

Well excited to report I’m in!!! And they confirmed my instinct by telling me they have a problem with bears on their private lands and would like them gone!! Well I just so happen to know a guy

Fun part about this year is I have a buddy coming out on his first bear baiting experiences which is always a joy to introduce someone else to the world of baiting! So like two teenage boys we prepared for our dates. We started to strategize securing baits. My buddy made his first dumpster dives with success, I rekindled some old sources from here! (Was glad to see the bear baiting thread up and running still)

Once we had everything we needed (popcorn, beavers, grease, fish remains, oats, blue berry syrup, pastries) we headed up to the spot. We got up into the area unloaded the side by side, loaded the gear and headed into the bush!! Always love that feeling of the unknown adventure ahead.

We went straight to the spot we scouted on google earth to find it was even better than expecting. Large trees on a river bank with no chance bears could get down wind of us on common NW windy days unless they want to risk falling to their deaths also evening thermals should pull our sent down into the valley away from the bait. Some nice travel corridors coming into the bait area and water not to far away.

We set up the first bait site staging a cellular trail cam which will be my first go on baits and hoping it takes away from some of the useless travel up to check baits, only to find they haven’t been hit yet. Left a back up trail cam just incase the cellular doesn’t pic up for some reason.

After the first bait set we went back to the truck loaded the second round of gear and found a sweet spot just off the private. Have to say there is still 3 feet of snow out there but the tracked machine just plowed through and made baiting a breeze. Loves it!!

Got the second spot set up and equally excited about this spot as well. The plan is to see what spot starts getting hit first then pull the other barrel over and focus all the attention to the one site. I like to do this in a new area to increase chances of getting hit early.

Now we sit and wait haha. Stay tuned as I’ll keep this thread updated all the way through the journey. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2020, 05:04 PM

I will keep checking on this thread I have lots of spot & stalk bear experience but never baited them. Was going to try this year but decided I will pass till next season with things being a mess this year

I want to try baiting start to finish to experience what the process is like more than to shoot a bear.

Good luck I will definitely be following this thread
Old 03-26-2020, 07:02 PM

Looks like a great start! Looking forward to the future of this thread this spring. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2020, 01:29 PM

Nice Beavers
Old 03-27-2020, 08:59 PM

Nice to see you getting an early start with the baits. With spring around the corner won’t be long and the hungry bears should be staggering out of their dens. Have you successfully used ratchet straps to secure barrels before? We always used chains. I would worry about the barrel getting rolled away from your site if you get a few bears chewing on that ratchet strap.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:14 PM

Heading to our bait site tomorrow to do some Blind building time to do a little upgrading to our site. I’ll post some pictures once we’re complete our build.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:33 PM

Default 2020 Bear Hunt adventure!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
Nice to see you getting an early start with the baits. With spring around the corner won’t be long and the hungry bears should be staggering out of their dens. Have you successfully used ratchet straps to secure barrels before? We always used chains. I would worry about the barrel getting rolled away from your site if you get a few bears chewing on that ratchet strap.

Ya it was nice to get out and I have had bears on my bait as early as April 15 so not to much longer. Honestly I have used ratchet straps for many years now and never an issue. I like the ratchet strap because it’s fastened the barrel tight to the tree to making the bear come in at a perfect broad side shot. You can see my self filmed hunts of this in live action on my YouTube channel HugeNugeOutdoorAdventures check it out. Cheers

Old 03-27-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
Heading to our bait site tomorrow to do some Blind building time to do a little upgrading to our site. I’ll post some pictures once we’re complete our build.

Sounds like a lot of fun about to be had!! Enjoy!

Old 03-28-2020, 03:27 AM

Good luck to you Nuge, and to all of you, I miss home.
Stranded in Aus, but there are worse places I guess.

TBark
Old 03-28-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Good luck to you Nuge, and to all of you, I miss home.
Stranded in Aus, but there are worse places I guess.

TBark
Hang in there G. At least you’re in a beautiful spot!

Nuge! Great location bro! Good luck.
Leroy Brown May still be wandering up north but I’m hoping you crank a big ole chocolate this year at this site instead.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:59 PM
Banned

Thanks for sharing
Old 03-28-2020, 08:32 PM

Well made it into our bait site was waist deep snow up the first hill into our bait to many people around McMurray baiting to make it ATV accessible. Hiked in enough material to get the base built for our new stand you will see the old Platform above my girls are super excited to head into the bait site this fall. Still a couple weeks before I’ll be dragging any bait into our site.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:24 PM

Good on you nuge. I can’t bring my self to tread through the snow yet still waiting tons here and more coming. I’ve shot two big bears in a foot of snow in April though.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
Well made it into our bait site was waist deep snow up the first hill into our bait to many people around McMurray baiting to make it ATV accessible. Hiked in enough material to get the base built for our new stand you will see the old Platform above my girls are super excited to head into the bait site this fall. Still a couple weeks before I’ll be dragging any bait into our site.

Nice work!! Good to just get out and enjoy the woods especially with the kids !!

Old 03-28-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboe8 View Post
Good on you nuge. I can’t bring my self to tread through the snow yet still waiting tons here and more coming. I’ve shot two big bears in a foot of snow in April though.

Thanks! There is always that chance for an early bear!! Can’t wait

Old 03-29-2020, 07:00 AM

Great to see! Your early work will pay off big. I am envious of you folks who have a spring bear season. Those rugs are second to none

Osky
Old 04-18-2020, 07:27 PM

Well this has been quite the start to spring bear season! Got told OHV where no longer aloud to be used in certain areas. Started looking at all the maps available outlining the go no go zone and our baits looked to be right on the line..... to be sure we started making calls to CO’s, forestry people, etc. Finally one lad had us send him our coordinates and confirmed we were in the no go zone by small margin. so we figured our two established baits where a right off!

We did however find out while talking to these people that there might be some info coming down the line that bear hunters would be exempt from the ban but nothing concrete yet.

So to be on the safe side we Set up a new bait with in the good to go zone!

Only to find out the next day the OHV Ban has been lifted haha ah well doesn’t hurt to have another bait going

Still lots of snow on the ground as seen in the pic taken on Thursday! No sign of bears yet.

Heading back up Monday to install the spypoint cellular signal boasters. One site has been sending pics but the other hasn’t. Hoping these help!

Stay tuned......

Old 04-19-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
Well this has been quite the start to spring bear season! Got told OHV where no longer aloud to be used in certain areas. Started looking at all the maps available outlining the go no go zone and our baits looked to be right on the line..... to be sure we started making calls to CO’s, forestry people, etc. Finally one lad had us send him our coordinates and confirmed we were in the no go zone by small margin. so we figured our two established baits where a right off!

We did however find out while talking to these people that there might be some info coming down the line that bear hunters would be exempt from the ban but nothing concrete yet.

So to be on the safe side we Set up a new bait with in the good to go zone!

Only to find out the next day the OHV Ban has been lifted haha ah well doesn’t hurt to have another bait going

Still lots of snow on the ground as seen in the pic taken on Thursday! No sign of bears yet.

Heading back up Monday to install the spypoint cellular signal boasters. One site has been sending pics but the other hasn’t. Hoping these help!

Stay tuned......

PM incoming.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:25 AM

Great thread guys!

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2020, 11:28 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

great thread folks...looking forward to seeing some bears sooooon!!!!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-19-2020, 12:55 PM

Here is a couple pics from the spy point micro link cellular cam! Definitely doing its job.

Side note we didn’t have cages when we sent up the baits initially. We have since transferred the Beavers’s into cages keeping these little guys away from getting at it. Cool to see them showing up tho.

Old 04-19-2020, 01:30 PM

Thumbs up

The weather over the next week should get a few Yogis moving.......
Old 04-19-2020, 01:56 PM

Any bear action in 340 or 342? Thanks in advance.

Tony
Old 04-19-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Great thread guys!

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
My thoughts also!!! Thanks a bunch!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 04-21-2020, 12:19 PM

Default Bear Action in 340/342/438

Heading up to Cadomin this weekend and wondering if anyone has seen any bears out yet.

I'm guessing the the mythical Grizzlies are out but wondering if any Blacks out.

Thanks again
Tony
Old 04-21-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpatico View Post
Heading up to Cadomin this weekend and wondering if anyone has seen any bears out yet.

I'm guessing the the mythical Grizzlies are out but wondering if any Blacks out.

Thanks again
Tony
I have spent a few days in this general area (further east though) in late March and then last weekend, watching the thaw and looking for sign.

No sightings or sign yet, but snow is thawing in many areas and some greening is happening on southern/western slopes.

Going again this weekend and expect to make first sighting at any time, knowing we are still a few weeks from when activity will really pick up.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:08 PM

WMU 359

Friends bee yard taken April 18 2020
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 94266010_4317224191636451_6526141637347770368_n.jpg (81.9 KB, 410 views)
Old 04-21-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorot View Post
WMU 359

Friends bee yard taken April 18 2020
That's ****y usually they have electric fences around them

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
That's ****y usually they have electric fences around them

Really what are those
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pics.jpg (82.1 KB, 213 views)
Old 04-21-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorot View Post
Really what are those
I guess it didn't freaking work or it wasn't freaking turned on snap out of it