Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-11-2020, 10:44 PM

Default What’s a good hunting/companion dog?

Ok so I’m getting into hunting birds and want a good hunting dog. This isn’t a spontaneous decision as I’ve been thinking about getting a dog for a couple of years now. Hunting dogs were not on my list at first but because I’m getting into hunting and really enjoy it and plan on doing it for the rest of my life I figured why not look into a hunting dog that is also a good family dog.
Yes I’ve researched and googled the crap out of this. I’m looking for some first hand knowledge from someone who owns/owned these type of dogs.
The dogs I’ve been drawn toward because of my “wants” are the Spaniel family. Specifically Boykin Spaniels, English Springer Spaniels and the American Water Spaniel. To help your response, here’s some info about me and what I want-
- I want a flushing/retrieving dog over a pointer
- Something that’s good for upland and waterfowl
- Medium sized
- Good with other dogs(in my home and at dog parks) and cats in house
- Great companion and family dog
- Moderate exercise needs
- I work from 9-4 most weekdays but there’s two dogs and a cat home all day
- I do alot of scouting in open and thick bush
- I hunt bird quite often

Sorry for the novel but it’s better to give more info than not enough. Any tips, info, personal experience or breeder contacts would be appreciated. I’m open to suggestions. Thanks!

Last edited by sns2; 05-15-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:16 PM

My last dog was a springer spaniel and he was easily the best dog I’ve ever owned. Very good with the kids, easy to train, eager to please, smart, handled living in the city very well, could find birds like a fiend, the list goes on. Loved him to pieces.

That’s the only spaniel I’ve owned so all I can comment on. The breeder, the pups blood lines and how you train him will make or break the dog imo. Do your research and train him well.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:55 AM

My sons have golden retrievers. Wonderful dogs in all respects. Calm, smart, hard working, terrific bird dogs upland and water. Protective yet great around people.
As far as hunting ability, lineage is everything if your choosing a pup.

Osky
Old 05-12-2020, 08:09 AM

An option to look at is a small munsterlander
Old 05-12-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
An option to look at is a small munsterlander
Isn't that supposed to be pointing dog?
Old 05-12-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colvert View Post
Isn't that supposed to be pointing dog?
Yes missed where he wanted a flushing breed
Old 05-13-2020, 11:24 AM

The best dogs are the well trained ones. All the others regardless of breed are a pain in the butt,especially when bird hunting.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:44 AM

German shorthair pointer. Mine is a big lover and buddy and then a machine when you open the gun safe
Old 05-14-2020, 09:24 AM

Default Dog

From my knowledge Springer is likely your best bet and easier to find. Some may disagree but I suggest finding a reputable breeder who has health tested and hunts their dog. May pay a bit more but hard to beat good breeding. There are a few big Springer fans on the board that can likely help you out.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
German shorthair pointer. Mine is a big lover and buddy and then a machine when you open the gun safe
I hear you on this, I had a german short hair for over 16 years, he was one go the great dogs, then later, I have a chocolate lab, she was a great dog also, for over 14 years
Old 05-14-2020, 11:23 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Lab.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-14-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
I hear you on this, I had a german short hair for over 16 years, he was one go the great dogs, then later, I have a chocolate lab, she was a great dog also, for over 14 years
As a current GSP owner I agree as well, he knows as soon as he sees me losing the truck what time it is and is an absolute unit in the field.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
The best dogs are the well trained ones. All the others regardless of breed are a pain in the butt,especially when bird hunting.
Maybe. We have two field bred Springers. I'm no dog trainer but they both learnt whistle and hand signals with no real effort. The bloodlines truly came through.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:43 AM

Springer's are awesome little dogs for upland, great companions and very involved. But I would not use one in the water once it gets cold, I don't think they have the coat for cold water.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-15-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Some dogs train up faster than others,however they all need some basic training.

Your Springers sound like great dogs,my buddies Griffon is a real pain, gets out too far, wont hold. He is good at finding the downed ones though.
It sound like your buddies dog was not properly trained, and an untrained dog can be a hindrance, rather than an asset, regardless of the breed.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:30 AM

Love my Toller, awesome breed! Been eyeing boykins for a while although they seem to be exclusively bred in the US so they're $$$.

Remember spaniels don't have webbed feet, they have to work a lot harder in water than retrievers.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:13 AM

I told story before, my hunting buddies would use two grand champion springers trained in Ontario. They could not get dogs one fall, I told them I would bring my never hunted springer pup, they laughed but said better than no dog. We limited out every day at Brooks, they were impressed by his natural ability.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:47 AM

I run springers. I exclusively hunt for grouse and pheasants only, I do no waterfowl hunting. They are born to hustle. Cant imagine stubble field hunting with decoys and having my springers patiently waiting for retrieve time...they would not like that. ''WRONG DOG FOR THAT''. They are a dog you enjoy watching as they hunt for bird scent and once found its obvious, time for you to hustle and keep up...theyre gonna flush game soon! As mentioned if you expect to be doing late fall cold water retrieves...''GET A RETRIEVER BREED''...
Old 05-15-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prewar View Post
I run springers. I exclusively hunt for grouse and pheasants only, I do no waterfowl hunting. They are born to hustle. Cant imagine stubble field hunting with decoys and having my springers patiently waiting for retrieve time...they would not like that. ''WRONG DOG FOR THAT''. They are a dog you enjoy watching as they hunt for bird scent and once found its obvious, time for you to hustle and keep up...theyre gonna flush game soon! As mentioned if you expect to be doing late fall cold water retrieves...''GET A RETRIEVER BREED''...
Great post. Any well trained dog, used for what it was primarily bred, is a pleasure. Any poorly trained dog, is an annoying waste of time.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:15 AM

For an all round great hunting dog it is very hard to beat a Lab, and you just can't beat their temperament. It ticks off all the items you laid it in your first post very easily. They are also generally very soft disposition, do not need to be force trained as long as you stay away from the hyper American Field trial bred versions. Owned many different breeds but still have a soft spot for Labs when it comes to family/hunting dog.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:17 PM

Sounds like you want a golden. No other dog is going to keep close like they do.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeHunter View Post
Sounds like you want a golden. No other dog is going to keep close like they do.
I love my golden retriever, very loyal, great at home, we only hunter a few times and she was a natural, much better at hunting with a dog than I was. If I'd of figured out her tendencies earlier I would have been a better hunter.

You can't ask for a better companion, she loves the outdoors, fishing, camping, ice fishing. Rides shotgun, or in the backseat.

I got here for a fellow AO member when she was 6, she turned 11 a couple of months ago. She still loves her walks, but her age is showing. She's a little less tolerant. A little more vocal, and likes to sleep more.

Goldens are great but be prepared for the hair!!.

BW
Old 05-26-2020, 08:23 AM

Can’t go wrong with a lab. I don’t mind retrievers but the ones I’ve owned in the past have had too much hair and when it’s gets wet and dirty, it’s pretty gross and hard to get and keep cleaned up. Unless she stays outside , then it doesn’t matter.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:56 PM

This lab I got just turned two, and he has unbelievable drive, but is the best family dog I could ask for. I've grown up with labs but this fella is by far the hardest worker yet most loving personable dog I've owned. I would be hard pressed to pick anything other than a lab.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_0839.jpg (44.6 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_61033380359__97D17300-795C-444F-BD7E-18651A232CE3.jpg (22.4 KB, 138 views)
Old 06-09-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetisHunter View Post
Ok so I’m getting into hunting birds and want a good hunting dog. This isn’t a spontaneous decision as I’ve been thinking about getting a dog for a couple of years now. Hunting dogs were not on my list at first but because I’m getting into hunting and really enjoy it and plan on doing it for the rest of my life I figured why not look into a hunting dog that is also a good family dog.
Yes I’ve researched and googled the crap out of this. I’m looking for some first hand knowledge from someone who owns/owned these type of dogs.
The dogs I’ve been drawn toward because of my “wants” are the Spaniel family. Specifically Boykin Spaniels, English Springer Spaniels and the American Water Spaniel. To help your response, here’s some info about me and what I want-
- I want a flushing/retrieving dog over a pointer
- Something that’s good for upland and waterfowl
- Medium sized
- Good with other dogs(in my home and at dog parks) and cats in house
- Great companion and family dog
- Moderate exercise needs
- I work from 9-4 most weekdays but there’s two dogs and a cat home all day
- I do alot of scouting in open and thick bush
- I hunt bird quite often

Sorry for the novel but it’s better to give more info than not enough. Any tips, info, personal experience or breeder contacts would be appreciated. I’m open to suggestions. Thanks!
Chesapeake Bay Retriever
all others just want to be to be like a chessie but just cant fill their shoes
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 06-10-2020, 08:45 AM

Default What’s a good

My top three picks...lab, lab, lab!
Old 06-10-2020, 09:15 PM

Default Good dog

My top 3 are black lab, yellow lab and chocolate lab .all in that order loyal and easy to train .Best dogs ever thay always aim to please.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:51 PM

See the two posts above ^^^

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2020, 08:37 AM

Chesapeake bay. They are awesome dogs, great companions and fantastic hunting dogs. Females are great and run 60-70 pounds usually. The one we currently have is 2 and 100 pounds, she's a big dog.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Yes missed where he wanted a flushing breed
If you try really hard, you can spoil your pointer and make him flush