Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-26-2020, 11:27 PM

Default Not so bummed out anymore

Had to skip a bear hunting trip with the boys last weekend because my intuition kept telling me that with all the rain things may not be good. Well, despite Saturday and Sunday being sunny, things were still a mess. One of the boy's had a CV axle go on his truck, another had his alternator pack up and die, with both vehicles having to be towed out. I don't feel so bad about it anymore. Pictures speak louder than words, except to say that the white truck was an abandoned company vehicle waaay back in the sticks.
They did get to see three different color phases in a family which was kinda neat.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2020, 06:53 AM

Cool to see different color phases in the same family, by the looks of that truck after 2" rain it was as expected a sloppy mess, sure hope the guy from calgary didn't venture up there with his Jetta for a road hunt.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Cool to see different color phases in the same family, by the looks of that truck after 2" rain it was as expected a sloppy mess, sure hope the guy from calgary didn't venture up there with his Jetta for a road hunt.
haha no doubt.

What mess SN. sorry for the luck. This weekend should be decent though
Old 05-27-2020, 09:14 AM

I hate $100 truck washes but I’ve had my fair share of them. You know you’ve had fun when the wheels have to come off and the brakes pulled apart and cleaned...
Old 05-27-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I hate $100 truck washes but I’ve had my fair share of them. You know you’ve had fun when the wheels have to come off and the brakes pulled apart and cleaned...
Ughhhh
Old 05-27-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Me too, never had to clean brakes but pull wheels and clean them a few times.

sns2, that 1st pic gives me shivers, been there done that.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:52 AM

I have been in some ugly situations with atvs, but when it's that muddy, I don't bother trying to get through with my truck. And the older I get, the less risks I take. I have gone out to help people get their vehicles out of some pretty ugly places, but the people that make a habit out of getting stuck, call other people now.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:53 AM

Fun! Glad you were able to get out. Looks like it's going to still be a bit wet this weekend in the Swan/Virginia Hills.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:11 PM

Take that to CTS truck wash and Lube in the West end. They have a pit so you can get under it and don't have to pull the wheels off to clean them. Far easier.

Towing vehicles in that mess would have been no fun at all. Sounds like you semi enjoyed it though. Should be a bunch drier by Sunday or Monday, as long as it doesn't rain any more.

Last edited by sns2; 05-27-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:45 PM

Having an older Power Wagon that I don’t mind using I’ve been called 3 times this spring alone to pull people out of places they shouldn't have been. I’ve had my truck stuck my fair share but with front and rear lockers, a 12,000# Warn winch and an assortment of recovery gear including two 100’ ARB winch straps, I’ve always been able to get out on my own.

My advice is to always listen to your Spidey senses. I always seem to know right before I get stuck to the frame rails. My problem is I seldom take my own advice.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Having an older Power Wagon that I don’t mind using I’ve been called 3 times this spring alone to pull people out of places they shouldn't have been. I’ve had my truck stuck my fair share but with front and rear lockers, a 12,000# Warn winch and an assortment of recovery gear including two 100’ ARB winch straps, I’ve always been able to get out on my own.

My advice is to always listen to your Spidey senses. I always seem to know right before I get stuck to the frame rails. My problem is I seldom take my own advice.
Hows your muskeg monster build coming?
Old 05-27-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Had to skip a bear hunting trip with the boys last weekend because my intuition kept telling me that with all the rain things may not be good
Oh, so you’re the buddy that ditches because of the weather forecast!! He he
Old 05-27-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
Oh, so you’re the buddy that ditches because of the weather forecast!! He he
In this case, absolutely. I wasn't even gonna take a rifle. I was just going to hang out with young fellers half my age.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2020, 03:58 PM

Seeing those trucks confirms what I expected about certain roads this past weekend.... getting stuck and vehicle failures are tough. White knuckle 4x4ing and long truck washes are bad enough.... That mud/clay turns to cement!

I still went out Saturday but intentionally chose packed gravel roads to avoid the mud pits. I ended up seeing two Yuge boars and another two good ones on a sunny afternoon after the weather passed. Also saw a very healthy grizz.

I had two stalks to within 40-50 of the two large boars. Ironically (and sadly) both stayed somewhat obstructed in brush before disappearing behind edges between us, creating a safety issue as the distance became uncertain and potentially under 20. Decided not to roll the dice alone that day.

Was a great day and I am glad I came up with alternate roads to explore. Reminded me to keep foul weather options in mind as the lease roads dry.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Hows your muskeg monster build coming?
It’s coming along quite well. Just working on the 1-1/4” square tube for the body right now.

I do suck at updating build threads though...lol.