Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Banned

Default Obituary question

So if on a persons obituary it says that the person "passed away suddenly and unexpectedly" is that the polite/politically correct phrase for a suicide?

FTH
Old 02-10-2016, 05:31 PM

No. Its like not saying he had cancer for five years and fought it. But could of been heart attack. And death is instant. Cause of death could of been anything.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:31 PM

They coulda had a heart attack at the wheel and crashed or they coulda passed in a boating accident(drowning).
Many variable....
Rob
Old 02-10-2016, 06:43 PM

It literally means suddenly and unexpectedly. There are a multitude of ways that can happen.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:06 PM

odd question.

could be anything from a car accident, to a slip and fall, to a brain aneurysm.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 02-10-2016, 09:05 PM
Banned

No.

A passing is not always shared.

The passing will be administered by someone who cares, or has been assigned.

After that it will be done by the state?

State will be government.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Hip View Post
So if on a persons obituary it says that the person "passed away suddenly and unexpectedly" is that the polite/politically correct phrase for a suicide?

FTH
MIL went into the hospital in August with a cough that was nagging.
18 hours later she died of heart failure. It was sudden and unexpected.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:

FTH

Sometimes, sometimes not, you've got to read between the lines. Suggested Mental health donation might be a clue one way, heart and stroke the other.

Grizz
Old 02-10-2016, 09:37 PM

What about being run over by a dang ole train. That would be unexpected. Or maybe Knot too.

Bobby
Old 02-10-2016, 11:01 PM
Banned

Default Thanks for the input

I asked because MY ex died January 26th and she had better cardio health than 10 REALLY fit AO members combined.

I got wind of it today and confirmed it via a google search and yes she most certainly died.Given that I know she had a couple of screws loose and that I was told it was a suicide I just wanted to get opinions about the phrase "suddenly and unexpected"...personally I am would not be shocked if she offed herself.

FTH
Old 02-10-2016, 11:14 PM

Very sad, I can only hope fond remembrance in any event.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:48 PM

I read the obits often.
Don't know why..

But like others said, a suggestion of where a donation goes is often a leader
To what happened.

I still have a term life insurance policy with my ex.
Seeing as she is the mother of our children I would have mixed feelings for sure.

Are you ok with this current event op? Interesting moment I'm sure.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 02-12-2016, 06:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
I read the obits often.
Don't know why..

But like others said, a suggestion of where a donation goes is often a leader
To what happened.

I still have a term life insurance policy with my ex.
Seeing as she is the mother of our children I would have mixed feelings for sure.

Are you ok with this current event op? Interesting moment I'm sure.
I never read obits.Per the obit in question there was no request for a donation in lieu nor any charity mentioned.

I have never carried a life insurance policy on myself other than the work benefit plan that I have nor did I carry one for the then wife.....thought right now I wish I had done the latter.....25-50 grand would come in handy right now.

Am I OK with this event?Are you asking if I am in awash with grief/loss etc? I can say for sure I feel no loss nor sympathy.What can I say I was used as a meal ticket for 2 years whilst at the same time suffering mental/verbal abuse and right at the end it escalated to physical abuse.Spousal abuse it not a one way street no matter how much the Fem-Nazi's want to push that agenda.

Per my query with regards to if "suddenly and unexpectedly passed away" equals a suicide thus far I have had 3 different people in my industry confirm it was a suicide.I guess if I wanted a concrete answer I could call up her brother who lives in Calgary and ask him but I think that would be very bad form on my part.

FTH
Old 02-12-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I have never carried a life insurance policy on myself other than the work benefit plan that I have nor did I carry one for the then wife.....thought right now I wish I had done the latter.....25-50 grand would come in handy right now.

Per my query with regards to if "suddenly and unexpectedly passed away" equals a suicide thus far I have had 3 different people in my industry confirm it was a suicide FTH
Insurance won't do a pay-out for a Sierra.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:08 PM

If three people told you she took her own life, unless you hang out with psychopathic liars, then it is likely the case. You must have had a hellish two years, because your reaction is pretty harsh. However, as always, I haven't taken a step in your shoes, much less walked a mile.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:23 PM
Banned

All deaths are eventually registered, as this one.
If you must know contact an advocate ,if you need to know.

Closure can be achieved if that is what you want?

No death is easy.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I never read obits.Per the obit in question there was no request for a donation in lieu nor any charity mentioned.

Am I OK with this event?Are you asking if I am in awash with grief/loss etc? I can say for sure I feel no loss nor sympathy.What can I say I was used as a meal ticket for 2 years whilst at the same time suffering mental/verbal abuse and right at the end it escalated to physical abuse.Spousal abuse it not a one way street no matter how much the Fem-Nazi's want to push that agenda.

Per my query with regards to if "suddenly and unexpectedly passed away" equals a suicide thus far I have had 3 different people in my industry confirm it was a suicide.I guess if I wanted a concrete answer I could call up her brother who lives in Calgary and ask him but I think that would be very bad form on my part.

FTH
unlikely you'll get that concrete answer your looking for on a hunting forum. i'd call the bro in your really looking for an answer. sad thing when someone takes their life, even if there is negative history. life is not always an easy space to fill.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:02 AM
Banned

Okay...Slightly off topic, but I have a real issue with obits.
Why does the Edmonton Journal (for example) charge $50/day for an obit...but you can take up the same amount of space advertising your car FOR FREE.
Always ticked me off...taking advantage of people at what may be the worst time of their life.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I asked because MY ex died January 26th and she had better cardio health than 10 REALLY fit AO members combined.

I got wind of it today and confirmed it via a google search and yes she most certainly died.Given that I know she had a couple of screws loose and that I was told it was a suicide I just wanted to get opinions about the phrase "suddenly and unexpected"...personally I am would not be shocked if she offed herself.

FTH
We had a good friend in school that was a cardio but before it was popular .
Ran every other day , cross trained , triathlete.
Went to work one day and dropped from a heart attack - 38 years old.
His obituary said "suddenly passed on"
Cat
Old 02-13-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
Insurance won't do a pay-out for a Sierra.
You should probably research this a bit more.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
You should probably research this a bit more.
I agree, many policies payout in full even when self inflicted.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:54 AM

In my experience, not all "suddenly and unexpected" are suicides, however most suicides are "suddenly and unexpected". Don't know if that's any help or not.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad66 View Post
Its actually unlawful for an insurance to not pay out for suicide after a certain period of time insured - I believe it is 18 months but that should be checked.

I believe that the logic behind this is that the families of people experiencing mental health issues should be able to make a claim like any other tragic death, and the reasoning for the limited term exclusion is so people are not encouraged to commit suicide to solve their families financial woes.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad66 View Post
24 months for mine( which vested years ago) but not being easy on her, she has to put up with me a long time yet.

To the Op, quite often if it a sudden natural occurrence; heart attack, aneurysm, etc, that will be posted in the obit for clarity's sake. Leaving it ambiguous does make me think self-inflicted. No offence intended to anyone
Old 02-14-2016, 06:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
24 months for mine( which vested years ago) but not being easy on her, she has to put up with me a long time yet.

To the Op, quite often if it a sudden natural occurrence; heart attack, aneurysm, etc, that will be posted in the obit for clarity's sake. Leaving it ambiguous does make me think self-inflicted. No offence intended to anyone
I got it confirmed today...it was a suicide....no specific details though but yes it was a suicide.

From being married to her I knew she had a couple of loose screws....I did not think they were that loose though.

FTH
Old 02-14-2016, 06:46 PM

So, with assisted suicide becoming legal, gotta wonder how that's going to read in an obit ?

Grizz
Old 02-14-2016, 06:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
So, with assisted suicide becoming legal, gotta wonder how that's going to read in an obit ?

Grizz
Yeah well grass is supposed to be legal soon per Justin "Sunny Ways" Trudeau on the hustings.As for assisted suicide the supreme court gave the aforementioned a 6 month reprieve on the issue....you can bet though when Justin "Sunny Ways" Trudeau announces the legislation every 4th word will be "UM" just like everything else he has to speak about when he does not have a script in front of him.

FTH