Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2011, 09:35 PM

Default Why Was KFC Better When We Were Kids?

Was it because we were just kids or did something change? I haven't had good fried chicken since I made KFC grouse. Seems like the only conmercial afried chicken is Fritout. Thank God for my Fryer!!! Anyhow, does anyone know what happened to the Colonel 11 Herbs and Spices?
Old 04-15-2011, 09:39 PM

As memory goes, KFC seemed better back in the day, but then our tastes do mature as well. If you're in Calgary, don't slum it at KFC, go down to 14th Street at Kensington Rd and hit Chicken on The Way, hands down the best fried chicken in town.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:44 PM

I swear it's the warmers.

When I was a kid, the KFC on 17th avenue just east of 14th street SW was where we'd go. You would have to wait for it to come out of the fryer. You'd get it hot and fresh.

NOW - who knows HOW long it sits there in the warmer. The cooks can prep 15 birds worth and they sit there for 5 hours, soaking. By the time you get there, it's greasy and gross.

Also, I noticed the KFC in Whitehorse used to cook theirs a bit longer (crispier, perhaps) but a notice was posted that "we will not be cooking chicken longer than normal anymore". I think they were on to something and had to stop.

I won't even eat the stuff anymore... emails have been sent to HQ but no responses. Oh well.

Last edited by doetracks; 04-15-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doetracks View Post
I swear it's the warmers. I won't even eat the stuff anymore... emails have been sent to HQ but no responses. Oh well.
Jebus...you take your finger licken chicken seriously!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
Jebus...you take your finger licken chicken seriously!
You have nooooo idea, lol

On this note, has anyone tried Mary Brown's (?) ? I saw one in Okotoks but haven't been brave enough to try. Never tried Chicken on the Way, it's been in the same place since I was a kid.

I used to cook chicken when I managed the Turbo in Okotoks (now the Shell station on the main drag).
Old 04-15-2011, 09:56 PM

I think it's cause they remodelled the restaurants, trying to make them newer and modern. I really miss the old style ones. There's one in Edmonton left, near Barbeque country.

Every time the wife, and I drive past one, I mention how I miss the old style ones. I think we just remember going there with our parents, and it brings back alot of nice memories. And now that the place looks different, it seems like somethings missing.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:56 PM

more salt and was fried in the bad for you oil before.....i compensate for the changes with a x-large gravy

KFC all you can eat buffets in the States...ROCK
Old 04-15-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
more salt and was fried in the bad for you oil before.....i compensate for the changes with a x-large gravy
Old 04-15-2011, 09:58 PM

Mary Browns is awesome.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
You have nooooo idea, lol

On this note, has anyone tried Mary Brown's (?) ? I saw one in Okotoks but haven't been brave enough to try. Never tried Chicken on the Way, it's been in the same place since I was a kid.

I used to cook chicken when I managed the Turbo in Okotoks (now the Shell station on the main drag).
You must have discovered the propane turkey fryer! Yes! Man...a guy can fry 15lbs of wings in no time flat....God does work in mysterious ways.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:

I have had three restraining orders and a Vertical Sleeve Gastroectomy (got 3/4 of my stomach cut off) because of places like that.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I have had three restraining orders and a Vertical Sleeve Gastroectomy (got 3/4 of my stomach cut off) because of places like that.
sometimes i get a tummy ache from eating a whole bucket of KFC by myself.....but if you chase it down by sipping a x-large gravy thru a straw in a walrus like postion....you feel better within minutes.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck12 View Post
Mary Browns is awesome.
Agreed
Old 04-15-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
You must have discovered the propane turkey fryer! Yes! Man...a guy can fry 15lbs of wings in no time flat....God does work in mysterious ways.
My buddy the one-armed Texan is dangerous with those fryers

Quote:
sometimes i get a tummy ache from eating a whole bucket of kfc by myself.....but if you chase it down by sipping a x-large gravy thru a straw in a walrus like postion....you feel better within minutes.
lmfao

I think it was better when I was a kid......I still treat myself there a couple times a month

I had to take a coupla months off after choking down the "Double Down" though......I'm still retaining a little water from that

tm
Old 04-15-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
My buddy the one-armed Texan is dangerous with those fryers
I don't doubt it. The Texan boys spend half their time cleaning grease spots and the other half shootin' up Mexicans! They fry everything !
Old 04-15-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
I think it was better when I was a kid......I still treat myself there a couple times a month

I had to take a coupla months off after choking down the "Double Down" though......I'm still retaining a little water from that

tm
I'd like to have a go at one of them, that's not gonna happen. If I did, I'd die or even worse!
Old 04-15-2011, 10:12 PM

Mary Browns.....is the healthy version of fried chicken.....no salt, healthy oil....i never get that click thump budda bump feeling in my chest eating there
Old 04-15-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Mary Browns.....is the healthy version of fried chicken.....no salt, healthy oil....i never get that click thump budda bump feeling in my chest eating there
I heard they were good but I have never tried. Will have to do so one day.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:13 PM

I won't eat at any of them anymore. KFC still makes good chicken burgs but the chicken is not the same. After they got rid of extra crispy it went down hill. Same with chicken on the way. Last time I went there my chicken was fried in old grease or something, and so were my corn fritters. Even mary brown's sucks now too, I went in to eat at the one off blackfoot and my chicken was just too hard to chew, definitely been sitting under a heat lamp for far too long or something. I gave it back to the guy at the counter and left. Although, I ended up going back 1 time since and the chicken was pretty good. But I think I'll stick with chubby chicken for now, atleast it's fresh when you get it.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Banned

The first outlet of kfc was at the stampeder hotel in calgary , it was called Barneys kentucky fried chicken then , had the kerrnals face on the bucket , chickin was awesome then , large pieces , a single meal had 3 pieces , chips , gravy , bun ,and a salad , came in a box.
Was good for years untill they sold the franchise to pepsi cola , somehow they got screwed on the recipe , cause never was the same after that , they also quit the one meal box that had the chips and gravy , with the dinner roll.
The gravy was the ****es after the sale too not the same , and the kids working there now days dont have 7 clues how to make it either .
As far as chickin on the way goes , its ok if you like grease , they used to have the half chickin dinner that wasnt to bad , they stopped that now , also the chickin pieces have gotten smaller , the chips are made from fresh potatoes , but they fried them in the same grease as the chickin and come out soggy with grease and it looks like they cut them off the end of the spud some are only 3/4 in long , just a greasy floppy mess if you ask me.
Bring back the ole days , granpa knew best.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:44 PM
Banned

maybe once a year. That's about it for me...and you're right it sure doesn't taste the same.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:48 PM

I think maybe the way the chickens are grown has a lot to do with how putrid it has become (because it was goooood when I was a kid!)....

You can have a chicken to 8 lbs in 8 weeks with yellow feathers still poking out here and there I think, with the 'roids and antibiotics and force feeding them....they are just fat, not meat. Maybe I'm exaggerating a touch, but not much. That's why they taste for crap now I believe....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-15-2011, 10:48 PM

I think it tasted better when we were kids because of 12th herb which is now illegal. Now there are only 11 HERBS and spices.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
there is one in estevan. i made that mistake 18 months ago.......and still have a tummy ache....
Old 04-15-2011, 10:51 PM

mmm craving KFC hot wings now !!!
Old 04-15-2011, 10:52 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Unhappy

Haven't eaten there since 1990 after KFC put me in the hospital with major food poisoning, can't even stand the smell of it anymore either......
Old 04-15-2011, 10:53 PM

Definitely better as a kid. Gravy definitely tasted better, could stand a spoon in it LOL, chicken didnt stay in warmers, whatever happened with the grecian bread? I rarely go, always disappointed urghhhhh
Old 04-15-2011, 11:01 PM

i think they went to electric broilers insted of gas. way too greasy now.

i heard even the colonel was complaining about the product before he died.

i believe he said "the gravy is like wallpaper paste". used to love it ... now ...
bring on the ENOS ... (do they still make that?)