Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-07-2018, 08:43 AM

Default What? longbow

Just when you think you have saw everything the Camp owner assigns me three hunters from Italy.The fancy stockings and cloths was one thing.Then out came the long bows and two bladed wood arrows.Why me?Until at the range,they gave me a target,and in very bad english ask me to pace off 50m to the back stop.No fancy sites here,pull and without hesitation shoot into the bull,now they got my attention.Want a shot,i couldnt pull they had a quite laugh.They got two bears,and gave me an excellant tip.Now they were true bowman and for sure would have fitted in nicely at Hastings.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:21 AM

Default traditional

What's the big deal hahaha. I have been using a longbow for 53 yrs.', mind you it has gone way down in the poundage lately #50 now. These old bows or the new stock built ones are a thing of art and engineering, they have taken more game than you can imagine and even when I hunted with rifle and compound bows I always thought I could of got the animal with my longbow. I may be biased here but I also drive an older vehicle and use simple stones not sharpening systems for getting a good edge on my knives. One stick, one string, 12 wooden arrows, simplicity at it's best.
As the young people say what if there is the ZOMBIE apocalypse...I guess I am ready.
Look up guys like Fred Bear, or Byron Ferguson.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:57 PM

Default Longbow

Wow,Have take my hat off to you,takes a lot of skill and practice but your right about the long bow its been around forever.Did you ever hear of the ancient man one of the oldest found,melted out of a glacer in the alps. he was carrying a long bow.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
Wow,Have take my hat off to you,takes a lot of skill and practice but your right about the long bow its been around forever.Did you ever hear of the ancient man one of the oldest found,melted out of a glacer in the alps. he was carrying a long bow.

Otzi the iceman...yup he had a bow. I've taken all manner of big game with recurve and longbow. Incidentally traditional types of bows have taken far, far more game than compounds.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:25 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
Just when you think you have saw everything the Camp owner assigns me three hunters from Italy.The fancy stockings and cloths was one thing.Then out came the long bows and two bladed wood arrows.Why me?Until at the range,they gave me a target,and in very bad english ask me to pace off 50m to the back stop.No fancy sites here,pull and without hesitation shoot into the bull,now they got my attention.Want a shot,i couldnt pull they had a quite laugh.They got two bears,and gave me an excellant tip.Now they were true bowman and for sure would have fitted in nicely at Hastings.
True bow hunters or archers I would say, awesome to have witnessed that for sure!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-07-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old longBow View Post
What's the big deal hahaha. I have been using a longbow for 53 yrs.', mind you it has gone way down in the poundage lately #50 now. These old bows or the new stock built ones are a thing of art and engineering, they have taken more game than you can imagine and even when I hunted with rifle and compound bows I always thought I could of got the animal with my longbow. I may be biased here but I also drive an older vehicle and use simple stones not sharpening systems for getting a good edge on my knives. One stick, one string, 12 wooden arrows, simplicity at it's best.
As the young people say what if there is the ZOMBIE apocalypse...I guess I am ready.
Look up guys like Fred Bear, or Byron Ferguson.
Or the dearly Departed Reverand Stacey Groscup or Howard Hill or the fantastic Glenn St.Charles!
Cat
Old 02-07-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Or the dearly Departed Reverand Stacey Groscup or Howard Hill or the fantastic Glenn St.Charles!
Cat
All very interesting guys to research and well worth the time too.

We also have people right here in alberta who would be archery legends if they promoted themselves. One legend is local bow builder Jack Kemp who has a fantastic reputation. We have local hunters who quietly go about their hobby and successfully hunt huge bucks, big bears etc. all without others even having a sniff of what they've accomplished. It seems to be the way traditional hunters roll.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post

We also have people right here in alberta who would be archery legends if they promoted themselves. One legend is local bow builder Jack Kemp who has a fantastic reputation. We have local hunters who quietly go about their hobby and successfully hunt huge bucks, big bears etc. all without others even having a sniff of what they've accomplished. It seems to be the way traditional hunters roll.
x2
A lot of very successful archers in Alberta.
Had a pleasure of shooting many long bow or compound 3ds with them.
And its true, that many of them are packing out an elk or moose or a deer regularly and the only time they will mention it was at the lunch in a club house between morning and afternoon shooting.
S12
Old 02-07-2018, 11:04 PM

I started off with Recurve Bow when I was young, then joined the compound world.

36 years before I found my self back in the simple game one more time.

Store bought take down bow, but quality arrows and a plunger rest with no sights.

Nothing fancy, but I've been able to stay with in the 10" to 12" pie plate at 40 yards.

$119 for Bow
$80 for 12 arrows and plunger rest.

I pack it every where I go. Made a home made cammo pack to throw it in the truck or tractor.
Takes up nill for space

Don
Old 02-08-2018, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post

I think I have owned 8 of Jack's bows since 1986 and both my son and I currently own his hunting bows an I have one of his Tournament King freestyle recurves that he built fir my late father .
Jack's name is famous throughout North American archery circles for sure.
Cat