Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2013, 08:41 PM

Default Air force student charged for smuggling guns on base

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/04/2...ss-busted-cops

Police said they seized more than 200 guns, thousands of rounds of ammunition, silencers, as well as devices that could make semi-automatic guns fully automatic and other devices that could allow a gun to use a magazine that holds more rounds, police said.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Banned

A long time ago I aquired an access to information publication describing the number and type of firearms that have disappeared from the canadian military.

The original enquiry was orchestrated by an Ontario newspaper.

This access to information is no longer available....I think.

All I can say that certain firearms were listed, but other goodies were all whited out.

I gave the report to the late David Tomlinson of the NFA.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:27 PM

Go Chair Force!!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
A long time ago I aquired an access to information publication describing the number and type of firearms that have disappeared from the canadian military.

The original enquiry was orchestrated by an Ontario newspaper.

This access to information is no longer available....I think.

All I can say that certain firearms were listed, but other goodies were all whited out.

I gave the report to the late David Tomlinson of the NFA.
In the late 90's so many U.S shows and movies were being filmed in Vansewer that there was a massive warehouse just to hold all the guns and clothes required for whatever production needed them. There was a heist at that warehouse, and they took by far the most threatening prop,,, 1000 police uniforms, never to be recovered.

Do I care about dude with a fake gun?

Nope!

Do I care that I'm being pulled over by fake cops?

uhm, yes!

There are other terrible possibilities of where such uniforms could be used.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Banned

For several years in S.Ont. it seemed a regular occurrence on the news that grow-ops were being raided by criminals in police uniforms.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yards View Post
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/04/2...ss-busted-cops

Police said they seized more than 200 guns, thousands of rounds of ammunition, silencers, as well as devices that could make semi-automatic guns fully automatic and other devices that could allow a gun to use a magazine that holds more rounds, police said.
Link didn't work for me.
Can anyone post the whole article?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Link didn't work for me.
Can anyone post the whole article?
I think that their site is down.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:44 AM

BARRIE, Ont. — A Royal Canadian Air Force student from Quebec faces dozens of firearm charges after police on both sides of the border busted what they're calling a major online gun-trafficking ring based at CFB Borden, north of Toronto.

Police from five departments presented their findings from their year-long investigation Tuesday morning. They say the gun and gun-enhancement manufacturing and distribution ring reached across five continents.

David Theriault, 36, of Lyster, Que., faces multiple counts of several gun offences including importing or exporting and trafficking firearms and firearm components.

Theriault is a private who was training to be an aircraft technician in the Canadian Forces' aerospace engineering officer program and has been living at CFB Borden since 2007.

He also faces 44 charges in the U.S. for allegedly importing machine guns without a licence and smuggling.

Theriault was arrested last August and will make an appearance in a Barrie court May 2.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives launched the investigation because it suspected Theriault was responsible for selling guns, ammunition and gun enhancements over the Internet. The bureau contacted the Ontario Provincial Police and the investigation that followed expanded and led to another six arrests in Quebec, several as late as last week.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:59 AM
Banned

I don't think that his Performance Evaluation Report is going to be very good this year.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:13 AM

That pretty much depletes our entire inventory doesn't it?

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 04-24-2013, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I don't think that his Performance Evaluation Report is going to be very good this year.
Nope.
But I'm sure he'll get a chit and some stress leave.

The fact that he is a a 36 year old Private... and new to the military says a lot.

We never should have raised the eligibility age.
And we never should have lowered the recruit training standards to the point where almost any idiot can squeek through.
Almost every one of these geezer Privates comes with issues and attitude.
Too many join just because they want bragging rights.
Others because of the health benefits.
Or because the kids are now grown and they are bored.
Almost none of them joins to actually serve.
Th guy probably couldn't keep an honest job so he gradually migrated to government.
The military appears to be easy to get into...
Background checks take time and they we are short people.
He probably liked the idea of being in a gun friendly envioronment as well.

Quite a few guys have tried to hide from the law in the military.
We had one guy wanted by INTERPOL in my platoon at Cornwallis... for (you guessed it) gun running.
We had another guy that was up for drug charges in TO..... bu-by...don't forget to write.

I can remember the announcement on parade... Pte Bloggins.... the Queen just fired you... fall out.

They punted both and the RCMP was waiting at the gate.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:21 PM

Some poor investigative reporting, i am a retired air force officer and privates do not become "aerospace engineering officer". My guess is he is a trade MOQ at CFSATE (Canadian Forces School of Aerospace Technology and Engineering).

"Theriault is a private who was training to be an aircraft technician in the Canadian Forces' aerospace engineering officer program and has been living at CFB Borden since 2007."

Crash
Old 04-25-2013, 06:55 PM

I am just imagining what this guy's room in the barracks must have looked like!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agb Crash View Post
Some poor investigative reporting, i am a retired air force officer and privates do not become "aerospace engineering officer". My guess is he is a trade MOQ at CFSATE (Canadian Forces School of Aerospace Technology and Engineering).

"Theriault is a private who was training to be an aircraft technician in the Canadian Forces' aerospace engineering officer program and has been living at CFB Borden since 2007."

Crash
Arn't those the same tech type of guys that left an AIM - 7 warhead on red on a test bench at 4 Wing a few years ago? and left for the evening? Oh Dear.