Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2015, 09:31 PM

Default Entitlement?

I see at least 10-20 new ads like this posted on kijiji daily lately.
Usually they include some type of selfie, and lack even a basic spell check.
Does this actually work for anyone, or do they expect jobs to just come to them?
I really can't tell if it is a "what could it hurt" kind of move, or if it is just young naivety, or even just ndp fever.

Quote:
Hello, i am moving to red deer, with my lady. And i need a job for when i get there. I am 24. Hard working reliable, you can txt me at ******* or call me at ********** if you need my resume email me & ask me for it
Quote:
Im a very energetic woman with labouring and farming experience. I aint nvr been the barbiedoll type...dont let my exterior fool u... I recently moved here with family and am seeking immediate employment. Im great with most hand and power tools, i can lift 50lbs plus i am experienced with home renos. Interior and exterior, im great with most tasks. I have a valid drivers license but do not own a vehicle, i am fearful of some heights but manage well..i can work any schedule and commence..yesterday. Im in late 30s. No upcoming priorities which could involve.me requiring time off. I can be reached via text or calling
Quote:
I am eighteen years old, married, and moved to Red Deer Deer early this year. What I am seeking in a job is part-time hours (10-30hours per week), satisfying work that allows me to learn, and will help me with supporting my family financially. My availability is Monday to Friday 8am-5pm, and every other Saturday from 1pm-5pm. Personal health concerns/injuries will not allow lifting heavy loads regularly or working extended hours
Quote:
Need work ASAP I am a 21 year old male, don't smoke no drugs, I can be away for periods of time I have a car and all tickets except for my first aid just expired have oilfield experience, can work long hours and I treated in learning anything trying to find full time work
Old 11-05-2015, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yards View Post
I see at least 10-20 new ads like this posted on kijiji daily lately.
Usually they include some type of selfie, and lack even a basic spell check.
Does this actually work for anyone, or do they expect jobs to just come to them?
I really can't tell if it is a "what could it hurt" kind of move, or if it is just young naivety, or even just ndp fever.
So you are complaining about people who are willing to work?
Old 11-05-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpartialObserver View Post
I think it's more about expecting the work to come to them, rather than going out and pounding the pavement.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 11-05-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
I think it's more about expecting the work to come to them, rather than going out and pounding the pavement.
I think you are correct
Old 11-05-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
How do we know they are not doing both?
Old 11-05-2015, 09:59 PM

I'd like to see how horrendous their CVs are, with ads that say things like "aint nvr been the barbiedoll type."

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 11-05-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
No, I am just a bit baffled by it and not sure if I am looking at it wrong, or if my opinion of how to look for work is just outdated or non relevant to recent culture.

I see a large distinction between the ones that are posting and saying they are willing to do anything to earn their wages, and those that are just putting in the same amount of effort as they do to a facebook status and expect a job out of it.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yards View Post
No, I am just a bit baffled by it and not sure if I am looking at it wrong, or if my opinion of how to look for work is just outdated or non relevant to recent culture.

I see a large distinction between the ones that are posting and saying they are willing to do anything to earn their wages, and those that are just putting in the same amount of effort as they do to a facebook status and expect a job out of it.
I would say they are using every option available to them, casting a wide net. I see just as many employers with help wanted ads on kijiji. They could just as easily be clicking on a govt website signing up for welfare benefits.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs down

Quote:
No I believe this is about people who are that ignorant to think that a viable company is going to seriously look at this type of crap.
Oh these people will find jobs, dig a hole, fill a hole, get paid, party, don't show up, blame the boss....repeat.
Not all all though, can't really paint everyone with the same brush but the majority in this case.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-06-2015, 05:41 AM

I suppose Linkedin works better if a person has real experience instead of 'levelled up 6 times' in Halo3 last weekend.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
I suppose Linkedin works better if a person has real experience instead of 'levelled up 6 times' in Halo3 last weekend.
What's a Halo3

Can I use it on a resume and throw it in during a interview?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-06-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
What's a Halo3

Can I use it on a resume and throw it in during a interview?
Absolutely! Throw in Beer Bungee as a hobby too!
Old 11-06-2015, 06:16 AM
Gone Hunting

Why would any self-respecting businessman even bother reading that crap, let alone respond to it!!
Old 11-06-2015, 06:24 AM

I check the resumes section out regularly to see if anything catches my eye. This guy certainly does not

Inquiring for a Framer career. In need of some assistance restarting my job. I've been trying so hard to get my truck back. Also I am just going through a company lose. I'm truly a legend in Framing and have a positive attitude to get in done. I'm not so lucky with the jobs I've been stuck with. Im a great guy and you would be happy to have helped me get on my feet. for I offer you all my time 24/7 in return. I just need some help with this situation. I hav3 built for 10 years straight framing. I'm super qualified. No height no pitch intimadates me. I've been a top quality framer for many years. I really hope someone . A great framer gives me a opportunity. With abit of help at the start.. I never let anyone down. I'm sure you'll be able to eventually feel you have helped a great person out. While obtaining a super high output of framing out of me. I'm struggling but not with my framing ethic. Just money ruined the best of me and buying a 2015 5.7 liter hemi was more than I needed . Same with the zoom boom at the high cost. So now I'm willing to labour and layout your framing. Tyler ****** email me please. Thank you

On another one of his ads, he says he ain't working for no $24 a hour to prove himself. Wow.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa View Post
Why would any self-respecting businessman even bother reading that crap, let alone respond to it!!
Why would any self respecting businessman advertise for help on Kijiji and expect anyone to respond.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:13 AM

Yes, those ads are painful reads. Spelling out your life's troubles and professing your lack of humility along with copious grammatical errors will net you nothing with any self-respecting employer.

The obvious lack of attention to detail (and obvious lack of education) in those "resumes" is another sign of the times. The very moment I saw the abbreviation "u" used in place of the word "you" is the very moment a resume would be launched into the can faster than a 35grain 220Swift projectile could get there.

Last edited by propliner; 11-06-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. If they felt "entitled" they would just be sitting on their butts.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
How do you know they aren't? Seeing one part of someone's job search, assuming they aren't doing anything else, and then making stupid assumptions about them is simply ignorant. We have seen people post threads here trying to find a missing son or daughter. Does any one actually think that is the only thing they are doing to find their child?

Some people need to get a life.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
How do you know they aren't? Seeing one part of someone's job search, assuming they aren't doing anything else, and then making stupid assumptions about them is simply ignorant. We have seen people post threads here trying to find a missing son or daughter. Does any one actually think that is the only thing they are doing to find their child?

Some people need to get a life.
I'd say the main issue is more about upholding some basic standards rather than their will to work.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
I'd say the main issue is more about upholding some basic standards rather than their will to work.
Well, they do mention a couple things I'd advise a job seeker not to mention, but heck, they are trying. I didn't sense any sense of "entitlement"
Old 11-06-2015, 08:37 AM
Banned

So many jobs are won and lost by what someone does or posts on Facebook.

Advertising costs money

With all the ways to be online it makes sense to post what is essentially a resume on a "free website "

What even comes in a hard copy anymore?

All bills and everything else is online.

Besides if I'm a lazy HR person who spends their time online anyways as part of my day to day I would most likely look for a potential employee online

That way I can still creep Facebook
And show you the boss
I'm still doing my job
Finding you the employee you need

So yeah

This makes sense in 2015
Old 11-06-2015, 08:41 AM

They do not know what pounding the pavement is.
They only know what a smartphone is and no idea how to ring a doorbell or pick up a pen and paper ,let alone write something on said piece of paper.
They maybe hurting and we as a society hasn't started to hurt yet...
Rob
Old 11-06-2015, 08:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
So you would rather hire a useless person with good grammar than a hard worker?
Old 11-06-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post

Besides if I'm a lazy HR person who spends their time online anyways as part of my day to day I would most likely look for a potential employee online

That way I can still creep Facebook
And show you the boss
I'm still doing my job
Finding you the employee you need

So yeah

This makes sense in 2015
They don't creep around facebook to find recruits. They go on facebook to check on applicants. "The resume looks good... oh wait, look at their facebook page. Nothing but sexist or racist comments or pictures of them smoking a joint. Let's jut file that resume in the garbage."
Old 11-06-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
So you would rather hire a useless person with good grammar than a hard worker?
Poor grammar says a lot about a person and how seriously they took their education. In the age of spell check, I don't think there is an excuse for bad spelling either.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-06-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Poor grammar says a lot about a person and how seriously they took their education. In the age of spell check, I don't think there is an excuse for bad spelling either.
I'd say it depends on the job. It wouldn't be a concern if I was hiring a tradesman. It would be if I was hiring a professional whose job involved a lot of communication.

My advice to that one job seeker would be not to admit medical problems and limitations in advance. See what the job offered is and what the requirements are. You might be able to do it and hence not have to reveal disabilities that could be unfairly used against you in the job search process.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
If that was 100% true I wouldn't hire 2/3 of AO...
Old 11-06-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
If that was 100% true I wouldn't hire 2/3 of AO...
LOL True, but it doesn't mean piker is wrong.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
LOL True, but it doesn't mean piker is wrong.
Hence the 100% part. I agree with you on that its situational. If your hiring somebody to write reports and such, good language skills are vital. However, I work in a sawmill. Having good language skills aren't even considered.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Hence the 100% part. I agree with you on that its situational. If your hiring somebody to write reports and such, good language skills are vital. However, I work in a sawmill. Having good language skills aren't even considered.
Apparently...