Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-27-2017, 06:35 PM
Banned

Default 8 Walleye per Day Limit

http://bcfishn.com/bc-walleye-fishin...ver-castlegar/

Anyone try Castlegar for Walleye yet.

Looks unreal from this article. I was surprised when I googled BC Walleye.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post

i grew up in castlegar, not that much fishing pressure there and there is definitely a few hot spots that consistently produce alot of fish.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:09 PM

I went and tried a couple summers ago. I caught one walleye in two days. Super slow. Another boat was having more luck they had caught several the day we caught nothing. I hooked into a sturgeon though and had an amazing fight until my line broke. I also caught one nice whitefish. I wouldn't go there expecting to catch a lot though if you don't know what you're doing. That's what I did and big fail. But we did have a big summer cold front move in and rain while we were there which might have turned the bite off.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-27-2017, 07:17 PM

I lived in the area, for a year ten plus years ago, Had sum very good days fishing the Columbia river, I think that both the walleye, and Kokanee migrate up form the lake, and are seasonal, summer fisheries, not a lot of pressure, and its a big river, thats hard to read, and fish, especially with out a boat.
I never had any big hauls, of walleye, but did get a few for a feed, from time ti time. Miss the area,
Old 02-27-2017, 07:39 PM

Buddy who lived there most of his life took me to a spot on the river and it was eyes every other cast, buddy couldent believe I wanted to keep em...
Old 02-27-2017, 08:16 PM

Haven't seen anything of size, but once you find them it's easy pickings. Limits shouldn't be a problem. There's lots of small
Mouth bass in there too further south.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:50 PM

I would love to move out there and fish for walleyes anytime i wanted.

Maybe once the kids are grown up and moved out
Old 02-27-2017, 11:00 PM

The limit on walleye at canyon ferry lake in Montana surprised me.

http://helenair.com/news/state-and-r...a4bcf887a.html
Old 02-28-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
The limit on walleye at canyon ferry lake in Montana surprised me.

http://helenair.com/news/state-and-r...a4bcf887a.html
Yeah, that surprised me too. Thanks for posting it. I don't know the lake but I'm wondering what kind of angling pressure it receives.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:23 AM

Do you guys know that they removed the walleye limit from what I understand on the Columbia River between Washington and Oregon in the last year. So if you really want to pile up on walleye that's where to head.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 02-28-2017, 11:38 AM
Banned

Worth a drive for some big Columbia eyes also I think the pike may still have a $500 bounty. Definitely worth the trip.

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/ne...957/story.html
Old 02-28-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I would love to move out there and fish for walleyes anytime i wanted.

Maybe once the kids are grown up and moved out
There is plenty of river fishing for walleye closer to home. Unless you're attracted to the natural beauty of the Castelgar area.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
There is plenty of river fishing for walleye closer to home. Unless you're attracted to the natural beauty of the Castelgar area.
Yup i want to live out there for the scenery and weather. I could fish out there in a boat all year.

My body hurts every winter now.

I have caught my share of big walleyes around here out of the rivers.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Yeah, that surprised me too. Thanks for posting it. I don't know the lake but I'm wondering what kind of angling pressure it receives.
The walleye were introduced by accident and they don't want them in that lake. I've seen big catches of trout all filleted nicely so people are catching lots of trout to eat not to release. We go there in the spring for carp bow fishing, it's a beautiful lake with nice cabins and a lot of good camping spots spread out so there not a lot of people in each site.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:46 PM

Wow Just read the Article for Montana and that is great conservation... I wish that Alberta Biologist and Fisheries were able to see how to manage a fishery like Montana does with the Walleye vs Perch populations. Sure would be a lot more healthy fish populations in Alberta if we stopped focusing on walleye only.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Wow Just read the Article for Montana and that is great conservation... I wish that Alberta Biologist and Fisheries were able to see how to manage a fishery like Montana does with the Walleye vs Perch populations. Sure would be a lot more healthy fish populations in Alberta if we stopped focusing on walleye only.
Funny you say that.

All of my montana walleye fishing buddies hate the way they run the montana fisheries and come up here every chance they get. One of them is a wildlife biologist for the state of montana as well.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Funny you say that.

All of my montana walleye fishing buddies hate the way they run the montana fisheries and come up here every chance they get. One of them is a wildlife biologist for the state of montana as well.
So Catch and release walleye fishing is what they want in Monatana in over populated walleye lakes down there? Doesn't make any sense.

I don't know where you fish but in the majority of Non Retention walleye lakes now in northern alberta all you can catch is a hundred skinny walleye a day from lakes with depleted forage fish. I don't see what's great about that.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
So Catch and release walleye fishing is what they want in Monatana in over populated walleye lakes down there? Doesn't make any sense.

I don't know where you fish but in the majority of Non Retention walleye lakes now in northern alberta all you can catch is a hundred skinny walleye a day from lakes with depleted forage fish. I don't see what's great about that.
They want the size averages we have in southern alberta. Their allowable retention ticks them off bad. All they can catch regularly is eyes under 14" with the odd decent one.

The wildlife biologist is a big time walleye angler and made some suggestions to fisheries and they dont want anything to do with walleyes. If they could get rid of them all and have nothing but trout the montana fisheries biologiwts would be happy
Old 02-28-2017, 05:41 PM

Your Montana friends should google fort peck. If I had that reservoir near me I'd never go anywhere else.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Your Montana friends should google fort peck. If I had that reservoir near me I'd never go anywhere else.
They have been there many times and fished many tournies there.

It isnt as consistent of a bite as you think. Lots of very crappy weather and quite a long drive for them to go for a day of fishing. It is also a huge lake and if you dont know where there good bite is you are just going to be washing hooks the whole trip. It is a huge body of water.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post

Fished up near Syringa several years back. Fished from shore and between 4 of us we got enough for a good fish fry. Thinking if we had a boat we coulda did really well.
Haven't heard any comments yet about them being wormy.
Was surprised to find most of them had small worms......never mentioned it to the wifes though