Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-29-2017, 12:54 PM

Default Pigeon...yep...best to check yourself

After a disappointing trip to Island Lake by AthB yesterday, today felt like a redemption day. I had it in my mind now to just stick to Central AB. The fishing is just fine if not hotter in Central...gotta like being proved right!

Started at 15 to 8 a.m. Landed a big walleye over 55 cm right away. Was fishing shallow not wanting to fall for the "the whites are all deep" comments. Just had to check it out for myself. Next, a big white! It was still pretty dark to try to get it to take the hook but I could see it make at least 4-5 attempts before swimming off. Great to see one in the shallows!! Keep fishing, another walleye, smaller but nice. Keep fishing and when I drop down I see a huge, I mean frickin huge back go by up high. Tank white!!! A true monster. Kept jigging and it dropped down and took a swipe. The back on this thing made that first walleye look puny. I'm guessing...7-8 lbs. It left...sigh. But, 1 minute later it was back..or one just like it. This time it took 3 good tries at it and the 4th time...connect! I felt like setting the hook into a brick. Horsed it right up since I was shallow and it got stuck at the bottom of the 10 inch hole...a white...could not fit it in...the hook got caught on the side of the ice and it was over. I could hear a thumping sound. It was the sound of my heart in my ears...for the next 5 minutes...what a rush...what a pig!!! Glad I got to see it. Drop down, shortly after, another white and huge. This one just missed the hook but it most of just hit it so it took off. Then, the fishing got hot Walleye, pike, walleye pike. Didn't see any other whites but landed another 4 walleye, hooked a big pike and lost it, but hooked another huge pike and landed it. Hot fishing!

At 9 a.m., decided to try deep like everyone else said to. Got out there. Got setup. Put the jaw jacker with a WW under the LX7. In the 2nd hole I'm jigging away. I'm watching the screen and WW hoping to see something....nothing...keep jigging...I look down to see where I'm jigging only to see a white just grab the hook and I set it. Had it up to the bottom quick but couldn't turn the head and the fight was on! About 6 good long runs in this one. Of course it went into the jaw jacker line too....sigh. I was thinking I would lose it for sure but kept my cool. When I saw the jaw jacker line start to go on my other reel I knew I would be in trouble. So hand bombed the white up. Got it to the bottom of the hole, turned it, grab and pulled it out. A pig! Not a super pig like the one earlier but a very nice white.

Dealt with my tangled lines. Lost a lot of line. Who cares
Packed up and left. 10:30 a.m. After all, got 4 gull whites in brine and ready to smoke at home. It has been a quite a year already.

About 10-11 lber!!

Tank!

Not bad for the first trip to Pigeon. Maybe I should stop, not sure I can beat a morning like this. I'm a happy camper.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:01 PM

5 pound white? YUPP, NICE FISH!!!
Cat
Old 01-29-2017, 03:48 PM

Mr. Snap .... don't know what's more fun on a Sunday afternoon, watching the guys at Torrey Pines or reading your stories and enjoying a few bevy's. Bty Wfish on Brass or Glow WW ? I can imagine the excitement and the disappointment of that first one. I sure you'll be dreaming of that one for sometime & going back before the end of the season. AB record Whitie is just over 11 lbs, you can top that, look forward to the follow-on story.

Tks for sharing.

D.

Edit ... after looking at the pic's of that White again, I said to myself, wasn't he lucky that White didn't do a quick flip when he had the camera in hand and go back down the hole ... because, it happened to me.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 01-29-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:46 PM

Going out tomorrow. Got me all excited now!
Old 01-29-2017, 07:03 PM

That pike looks like a hatchery fish the way its tail is all messed up lol. What is access like on Pigeon, buddy was telling me there are lots of heaves and he actually broke through in one spot trying to cross one. That was a while back now though.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
That pike looks like a hatchery fish the way its tail is all messed up lol. What is access like on Pigeon, buddy was telling me there are lots of heaves and he actually broke through in one spot trying to cross one. That was a while back now though.
I was out at Mulhurst a week or so ago and there was about 22" of good ice. I didn't encounter any bad heaves but there was a ton of rock hard drifts. I had the rzr out so it wasn't really an issue.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Mr. Snap .... don't know what's more fun on a Sunday afternoon, watching the guys at Torrey Pines or reading your stories and enjoying a few bevy's. Bty Wfish on Brass or Glow WW ? I can imagine the excitement and the disappointment of that first one. I sure you'll be dreaming of that one for sometime & going back before the end of the season. AB record Whitie is just over 11 lbs, you can top that, look forward to the follow-on story.

Tks for sharing.

D.

Edit ... after looking at the pic's of that White again, I said to myself, wasn't he lucky that White didn't do a quick flip when he had the camera in hand and go back down the hole ... because, it happened to me.
No worries, he was wacked
Copper is the winner. The ole standard.

I'm just real happy to find them in shallow so one can sight fish them again. Last year you couldn't find them anywhere but deep water. Two years ago I saw and almost caught one that would be pushing towards that record of 11 lbs. Baby steps, first I just want to try and break that 6 lb mark. Can't wait to get back out there.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:45 PM

Nice fish buddy. Usually have my best luck with the whitefish during the new moon in pigeon. Great challenge for trophy caliber fish. Got 6 of the big buggers one day it was the best day of fishing I ever had for size and sheer excitement. Very strong fish and as you said turning them up the hole is the tricky part. Need a strong hook that won't straighten or break and most traditional whitefish hooks sadly fail at the moment of truth.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:45 AM

Great post! Awesome follow up to your threat in another post to check out pidgy for whites.

Pigeon has some good fishing generally especially if you are into C&R, as there are tons of hammer handles bigger cookie cutter eyes and the odd hog pout or pike. Going there after a dry spell at other lakes really can bring moral up! Had a blast this month HUNTING and putting in WORK to fill my c tags as I'm not a far drive.

The whites are a different story few catch them unless they are truly targeting them. Seen lots come up on copper ww brass wataskawin and silver spoons.

Just curious if you would mind sharing what bottom was looking like where you were seeing them? Sand? Gravel? Cabbage? Haven't seen any at my sand bar last time I was out wondering if I should check out some of my other spots with different structure. If you don't want to share that's cool just say jelly beans.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutBaus View Post
Great post! Awesome follow up to your threat in another post to check out pidgy for whites.

Pigeon has some good fishing generally especially if you are into C&R, as there are tons of hammer handles bigger cookie cutter eyes and the odd hog pout or pike. Going there after a dry spell at other lakes really can bring moral up! Had a blast this month HUNTING and putting in WORK to fill my c tags as I'm not a far drive.

The whites are a different story few catch them unless they are truly targeting them. Seen lots come up on copper ww brass wataskawin and silver spoons.

Just curious if you would mind sharing what bottom was looking like where you were seeing them? Sand? Gravel? Cabbage? Haven't seen any at my sand bar last time I was out wondering if I should check out some of my other spots with different structure. If you don't want to share that's cool just say jelly beans.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
In the shallows, more gravel than sand and near bigger rocks. Normally just straight sand for me.

P.S. And I like jelly belly jelly beans best
Old 01-30-2017, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the pics keep em coming
Red Neck out
Old 01-30-2017, 12:17 PM

Default Awesome Sauce

Great.. now I need to get a new keyboard from all the drooling over these pics.

Great catches!
Old 01-30-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Yes there are lots of heaves this year. Or at least a couple that are very long. Some nice people have cut through them to give access at both Mulhurst and the PP. You can not get on any meaning full distance at Grandview but can about 2 km south. Don't know about the rest as I could not find a way through the heaves to check them out.

NICE FISH SNAPFisher. I only managed about a dozen walleye with the largest 57 cm. Had to work to find the B class as a friend was tring to tag out for the season.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:54 PM

nice to see the big belly on the pike , things are looking for pigeon lake
Old 01-30-2017, 10:08 PM

Right on ! Nice white!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2017, 07:08 PM

Grats on the Great Day !!!

found them

The fight is on now

When the Whites are hunting wow hang on

Thanks for sharing

good luck on your Quest

David
Old 02-03-2017, 03:04 PM

Nice work Snap! Good fish, but they get way bigger. Lol
Last year the whites averaged 7lbs ish for me ... See you out there some day again soon I'm sure.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:39 PM
Banned

Great story and pics. Congrats on a great day of fishing. I'm getting cabin fever, so it's nice reading about someone else's adventures.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soiler View Post
Nice work Snap! Good fish, but they get way bigger. Lol
Last year the whites averaged 7lbs ish for me ... See you out there some day again soon I'm sure.
So your saying I can expect that rush even more...this is better than drugs!
Old 02-03-2017, 04:12 PM

Heading out to pigeon tomorrow hopefully I have a day like yours! We are gunna try out by ma me o beach, never fished that side of the lake so it will be all new to us
Old 02-03-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
That's one way to look at it... the feeling of losing yet another 1 right at the ice or in the hole, frustration is the word I used not a rush. Lol. I got wet to the elbow lots last year after they'd break the line as they came up through the ice. But they fill the smoker quick!! 👍
Old 02-03-2017, 04:29 PM

WOW! Nice white!! You lucky man! I snagged one about that big at Gull a couple of weeks ago and just as I was bringing him closer to the hole after a couple of runs he got off the hook!! I wanted to jump into the hole!!!
Old 02-03-2017, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
The Tug is the Drug
Old 02-05-2017, 05:06 PM

Went to explore some new spots that I saved on Pigeon back from 2015 when I boated it. I've been meaning to try these new spots for whites. And....it worked

Walleye right away...and another...and another...and another. Then nothing for a long time until a nice white came and had 3-4 tries at the hook. All missed. Just missed a tank of a white after that. Then headed out deeper. Found a good spot and more walleye...how do you not catch these things....
Landed a nice big burb - that was fun! More walleye. A scrawny pike. I did see more whites but they were just zooming by. Then the fish cops showed up. Had a nice chat, showed my license, all good. The one officer kept telling me to go to battle for the biggest whites....I think he has me convinced. Just after they left, dropped down and a couple of whites came in. One was small and I accidently scared him. The other was not small and grabbed the hook. I hand bombed it up in to the hole, it popped off but grabbed it out
Another nice jumbo!

Great day on Pigeon at some all new water. Awesome!

Just shy of 24 inches and 4.7 lbs.

Made room last night too - whitefish burgers ...sooo.....good....

Old 02-05-2017, 05:41 PM
Banned

Default Those fish patties ...

Look grand .....

Free Zone cut it out,your killing me .Lmao

Keep up the good work !
Old 02-05-2017, 06:16 PM

Nice. I tried it briefly on Saturday but was surprised with how much snow was out there. Most of the lakes I have been going to barely have any snow and after getting stuck once with the rav and seeing another truck stuck I didn't feel like exploring anymore.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:56 PM

F and W talked with me as well. All good. They looked cold though.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:58 PM

Nice work! I only had 1 white hit on Sat & he broke me off. It was fun finding my way to my spot, dodging around all the heaves....
Old 02-05-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soiler View Post
Nice work! I only had 1 white hit on Sat & he broke me off. It was fun finding my way to my spot, dodging around all the heaves....
Yeah, crazy heaves out that way. It will mean likely mean quading as the ice rots in March.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:38 PM

Smile Two holes

An old wiseman once showed me a trick for landing big white fish and most other fish, is to drill two holes side by side and make one long narrow hole it helps when they get to surface they almost pop out the hole. Trick is to punch the first one almost all the way trough and then punch the second hole trough then complete first hole. I found it really helped when they were not hooked very deep or kept getting off at surface. It only takes an extra 30 seconds and can make landing that once in a life time fish that much easier. Little life tips from little old men that make fishing easy.