Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-26-2013, 07:11 PM

Default Shooting at 3D targets in winter??

If I leave a 3D deer target outside in the winter am I going to be able to shoot it or will the foam get really hard and damage more than normal?? I'm not going to shoot when it's -30 in my yard but around -10 or so. Thanks
Old 11-26-2013, 08:57 PM

It might be spring before you can pull the arrows out of it.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
It might be spring before you can pull the arrows out of it.
And if you miss... field tip arrows like to hide in snow as much as grass..may be another "spring" factor...lol

The Layed vital targets like the GlenDale's are not as bad as the sealed foam vitals when frozen...but can still take two men and a dog to get the arrows out...

Neil
Old 12-04-2013, 03:06 PM

Default shooting at 3D Targets in Winter

We shoot at our reinhart and other targets when the temperature is above -15C. The trick is to rub the first 4 - 5" of the arrow tip with "ivory" soap. You will still need to use an arrow puller but it works for us.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the advice. What are thoughts on the big shooter 3D target compared to rinehart?? Found one for a good price. Thanks
Old 12-04-2013, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the advice. What are thoughts on the big shooter buck 3D target compared to rinehart?? Found one for a good price. Thanks
Old 12-17-2013, 02:33 PM

Smile Shooting 3D targets in winter

Both my husband and I were past 3D directors at Sherwood Park Archery Club and still compete in 3D archery competitions. Reinhart is by far the target you need to invest in. They are realistic, long-lasting and replacement inserts are easy to install. They are much more resistant to weather and don't get sold with "air-bubbles" in the foam. We've bought Delta from Cabelas that shot out after one weekend of archery and won't get them again. The manufacturers of most of the targets are continually changing their foam formulas to fiind the ultimate foam so one brand may have different quality from year to year. We found this with both Mackenzie and Delta but not with Reinhart. They won't even sell a target that can't pass the authentic-look paint test!

Just our opinion from lots of testing over the years, but hope it helps. Also, we always us "Ivory" soap(least chemicals to harm your arrow) to lube the arrows before we shoot our targets. Especially in the winter or you may be pulling out chunks of foam when you try to get your arrow out.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:05 AM

Another vote here for the Reinhart target . I've had mackenzie and Glendel and wouldn't buy either again . Try Woodys arrow lube on your target arrows , makes it much easier to pull out . Don't use it on hunting arrows as they tend to slide around in your quiver . I don't like to shoot foam targets in cold weather because as others have said , extraction can be a real pain .
Old 12-20-2013, 12:31 PM

You will need an arrow gripper of some form, Ivory works well on the arrow, I used silicone lube spray on an arrow greaser. As people have said, target brands make a difference in the foam density.
The finish on the arrows you use, makes a difference also. Some carbon arrows have a rough finish, and will stick really bad, aluminum is your friend in that regard.
Pounding them into a 20yd target with a fast bow can result in problems, shooting them a bit further out will help.
Not sure that temps really matter, I have broken 3d targets in half, trying to get arrows out, on indoor shoots. And needing two or three people to pull them.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:19 PM

I use a rubber handle that I took off a pair of crutches to remove my arrows. I shoot a hoyt Spyder Turbo at 81# DW 29" draw. Seems to be no problem for my Glendel!!! That was 60 yrds.
P.S neck holes were my little cousins using their recurves I wasn't thrilled lol.