Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-03-2014, 03:38 PM

Default Recurves and carbon arrows

I just bought a 50 pound recurve. I want to shoot carbon arrows but I have no idea of how to match the spline to my 50 pounder. I looked at some Gold tip carbons at Whole sale sports but couldn't make sense of the spline chart. My draw length is 27-28". Please help
Old 01-03-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaboy View Post
I just bought a 50 pound recurve. I want to shoot carbon arrows but I have no idea of how to match the spline to my 50 pounder. I looked at some Gold tip carbons at Whole sale sports but couldn't make sense of the spline chart. My draw length is 27-28". Please help

Goldtip makes a special carbon arrow for shooting recurves with....check their website.

http://www.goldtip.com/productdetail.aspx?ptid=21

LC
Old 01-03-2014, 05:09 PM

Carbon arrows out of trad bows work wonderfully, BUT I reccomend heavy point weight!

The heavier point weight breaks down the spine a bit and gives you an overall heavier arrow so you do not go below 9-10 Grains per pound. In other words, you want to shoot at least a 450 or 500 grain arrow out of a 50# trad bow.

What kind of bow is it? What string is on it? Lots of guys could get you close, but it will still take some fine tuning later before you put broadheads on in the fall.

Pete Ward.........

Paging Pete Ward.........

I would grab a sleeve of Heritage 150's at Wholesale. Leave them full length and try 150 grain points for a start. My preference would be a 200 grain point and cut them to tune.

You will got lots of help I am sure.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:36 PM

I use gold tip traditional 35-55's. My draw length is 26" ( it will be a couple inches shorter on your trad bow than with a compound bow), and I cut them to 28.5". I have them wrapped and fletched with 3x4" inch feathers and just use the normal gold tip nock. They come with 100 grain brass inserts and I use a 125 grain field tip/ broadhead. I have shot them to 40 yards with broadheads and they fly great. Total arrow weight is right around 500 grains. I have a hoyt buffalo with 50# @ 28" limbs. Hope this helps you out a bit.

Norm
Old 01-03-2014, 05:37 PM

Good stuff from Brian, {Carbon Caster} but I would go with a lighter spine than the 150 and choose a 90 or 500 spine with a 175 gr point for starters.
I shoot very Heavy arrows in the 600 to 800 gr range from my 50# bows for hunting, and almost all of them like a 500 spine with heavy point weight from 200 to 400 grains. If you are only shooting paper you won't want the total weight I shoot.
Main thing is don't go to light in total weight. it is hard on the limbs, unless you have a limb designed for light arrows like some of the ILF Olympic limbs.
Start with them at 30" and tune from there. The shorter they are the stiffer they are . Once cut you can't reverse it.
You can build out the shelf to accommodate a weak spine, or shorten the arrow, and go to lighter points, but there is little other than try more point weight that you can do for a shaft that is to stiff.
Get an assortment of points for tuning, start with 6 of each in 145,175,200,250 and if you want heavy 300.
You also need feathers not plastic vanes.

What is the bow make and model, this might help in steering you to the right choices.
Check your PM's .
Old 01-04-2014, 01:34 PM

Thank you all