Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-15-2019, 05:24 PM

Default Amazon vs The Fishin' Hole

If you think Amazon has the best prices, think again... Fishing Hole price 79.95, Amazon price 119.78 and that was the cheapest choice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg comparison.jpg (30.9 KB, 390 views)

Last edited by russ; 07-15-2019 at 05:26 PM. Reason: added information
Old 07-15-2019, 06:38 PM

It pays to shop around
Old 07-15-2019, 06:46 PM

I bought 'braided|' 100 lb test line off of Amazon, I can break it with my hands... absolutely for sure counterfeit. If it's cheaper on Amazon it's garbage.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:59 PM

Its buyer beware.
Dont forget guys not everything comes out of Amazon. Lots of their stuff comes directly out of their own peoples stores like TFH and they just use Amazon for a store front and pricing is their own.
Yes you have to read the fine print as everything is not always what you think. There is a lot of off brand junk too but can be spotted if you take the time to read all the details.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:40 PM

I refuse to use amazon for fishing gear other then the odd reel (have purchased one).

Trying to save a couple bucks is what causes stores like WSS to go out of business. The last thing we need is places like TFH going out of business and I am more than willing to pay a few extra bucks for brick and mortar and being able to pick up what I need when I need it.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:46 PM

I bought a pack of cheap Chinese hooks on Amazon to use on some Carolina rigs. First time I tested them out I got a fish on, then it felt like my knot let go. I reel my line in and see that the hook itself had broken about an eighth inch below the islet.

I certainly didn’t save any money when I threw the whole bag in the garbage and bought real hooks to replace them.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:27 AM

Frustrated with my old gas-powered Strikemaster 8" ice-auger, a week or so ago I tossed out the old, and instead bought a brand new Ion X 8" electric ice-drill, 5 amp battery.

I bought the new Ion X at my local Fishin' Hole for $799 Cdn.

I also checked it out on Amazon, but every price there was well over $1,000.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:20 AM

I still dont understand the thing why everyone thinks that everything is way cheaper on Amazon. Same as Costco that it has its deals but buyer beware everything is not a deal at Costco either.
Do your homework and check, but dont be surprised if the local store has it for the same or less. I buy some fishing stuff online but only brand name items that I know exactly what it is and the quality. Never buy any no name chinese knock off or you take your chances and dont be surprised if it was a waist of money.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:40 AM

Picking one random product doesn't say a whole lot. As stated earlier, it pays to shop around.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I refuse to use amazon for fishing gear other then the odd reel (have purchased one).

Trying to save a couple bucks is what causes stores like WSS to go out of business. The last thing we need is places like TFH going out of business and I am more than willing to pay a few extra bucks for brick and mortar and being able to pick up what I need when I need it.
Amen!

I like to use Amazon for the things that I cannot get here physically as there is no AB store that carries the item I'm looking for.

I would much rather shop at the Fishing Hole and other great local fly shops for the things I need.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:01 PM
Banned

I’ve bought a couple GLoomis rods from the fishn’ hole for a good price, I’ve bought a couple Shimano Sustain reels from Otto’s Tackle World out of Australia for a good price as well. I never buy anything outdoors from Amazon.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I refuse to use amazon. (except when I dont refuse to use it)

(Just busting your chops.)

You are absolutely right though.
If people treat the local fishing/hunting/gun shops like convenience stores for when they cant wait for an Amazon order, they will have to start charging convenience store prices, or close up all together.

Also, for the out of towners (like me) the fishing hole will ship to you.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:17 PM

Default The Fishin Hole

Amazon will never sponsor your kids baseball team.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
So I should pay more for something so that a company can sponsor a kids team?

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-16-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
So I should pay more for something so that a company can sponsor a kids team?
Isn't that like Liberal taxes? Pay more so you can get more back in other ways?
Old 07-16-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Everyone always says that, but has anyone asked them?
Old 07-16-2019, 12:58 PM

have to shop around. I buy only brand name products i'm familier with online no chinese knockoffs.

Best Purchase i've ever made on amazon.

3000 yards P-line Flouroclear for 20 dollars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (19.6 KB, 50 views)

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 07-16-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Neither do most retail outlets! whether big name or mom and pop in large city or small community.

What they do is pay local taxes and employ local people that helps fund kids sport, keeping local communities alive etc. if this is your argument!
Old 07-16-2019, 02:26 PM

I like some of the cheap Chinese rattle crankbaits, they are 10 bucks for a pack of 5 and they work great . (As well as any name brand) I caught 28 walleye on one at Wabamun last week in about 2.5 hrs, Have tried them at Lac la Nonne as well with similar results on Pike. I spend my share of money at TFH as well but really, it's hard to argue with a successful lure that is that cheap.If I lose it , oh well tie on another one and keep going.
Everything is not the best deal at Amazon but that can be said for any retailer. I have Amazon prime and when I get 2 day free shipping on a small item, it beats burning gas to drive into the city.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:

WSS went out of business because it was ran into the ground. Horrendous management at UFA!!!!
Old 07-16-2019, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
WSS went out of business because it was ran into the ground. Horrendous management at UFA!!!!
Yup, those granola munchers even took all the animal mounts down in the Calgary location because it reminded them of killing bambi’s Mom.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:55 PM

I too am mystified by the people that think Amazon is cheaper. I have routinely checked prices on Amazon only to find them 10-20% higher than local retailers or other online stores. I guess people are willing to pay for the convenience, but most of the time it seems like Amazon is a poor choice.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:50 PM

Yup shop around.....

One thing I know is, Canadian Tire's everyday prices are always the highest in town....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:52 PM

The most interesting part is that the example I picked was the least expensive of the 3 Loon UV kits, there was another that was nearly double the price. This is pretty typical of Amazon. Their pricing on groceries is usually competitive or even predatory. Other items, all over the map and buyer beware. After my counterfeit braid experience, I'm not all that interested in buying any fishing stuff from e-bay or Amazon.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:28 PM

Make your choice but remember there are deals to be had. For the few seconds it takes to check it may save you. On the no name stuff make sure you read the description details closely as it is always there but sometimes buried near the bottom. If more carry on local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
The most interesting part is that the example I picked was the least expensive of the 3 Loon UV kits, there was another that was nearly double the price. This is pretty typical of Amazon. Their pricing on groceries is usually competitive or even predatory. Other items, all over the map and buyer beware. After my counterfeit braid experience, I'm not all that interested in buying any fishing stuff from e-bay or Amazon.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:48 PM

One of the reasons brick and mortar stores are going under is because a savvy buyer can almost always find a better price online. With a little google foo on my phone from work, my couch, ice house or tree stand I can find what I want, have it shipped to my door and get the best price without having to deal with all the BS of driving around town “shopping”.
Amazon isn’t always the cheapest but it is “often enough” that I check it out when I’m looking for something. It’s also got free shipping and overnight delivery so it’s one of those places I check first when I’m in a hurry.
For fishing gear the fishing hole gets plenty of my business as well because it too has great prices and sends it straight to my door. I haven’t been in their store since the 80’s but I’ve bought plenty from them in the past year ONLY because of their website.

I’ve turned to fishing pelagics since we moved to Australia. Being as we are back in Canada for a couple weeks I’ve bought about $1500-2k worth of tackle in the past three days. Amazon has gotten most of my business this time because they do have great prices on what I need for most items. I think the fishing hole will probably sell me a new lowrance hds-12 carbon and Cabela’s will sell me a pair of electric Scottie’s but amazon has gotten the lions share of my business.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I refuse to use amazon. (except when I dont refuse to use it)

(Just busting your chops.)
I buy one reel that isn’t locally available and look what it gets me lol.

Amazon has good prices on cheap household junk. You really need to watch the prices on anything niche like fishing equipment.

Amazon has never given me fishing advice, spoiled my reel for me, provided me with a part time job in tough times or been able to provide the gear I need for a last minute trip. I am willing to pay a bit extra locally when I get service in return.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I buy one reel that isn’t locally available and look what it gets me lol.

Amazon has good prices on cheap household junk. You really need to watch the prices on anything niche like fishing equipment.

Amazon has never given me fishing advice, spoiled my reel for me, provided me with a part time job in tough times or been able to provide the gear I need for a last minute trip. I am willing to pay a bit extra locally when I get service in return.
Ahh, but they do sell Daiwa's...

JK, I too prefer to purchase my goods at actual stores. But living in a small northern town I do end up using Amazon more than I'd like.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:

WSS would probably would still be there if not for UFA.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:09 AM

I'm gonna open a tackle shop on Amazon, 1 day free prime shipping, will u guys supports me hahahaha

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife