Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Banned

Default 2014 Archery Only Draws

I am reading the July Issue of AO mag and on page 60/61 they mention a possible Archery only draws coming in 2014 for the majority of species. Does anyone have any more info on this? Do you think this will create more opportunities for archers to get them out of the gun pools? What is your general thought on this?
Old 08-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Banned

I applaud the idea. hopefully it comes to fruition.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:43 PM

I agree good idea as long as we can keep those damn crossbows out of it!
Old 08-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Banned

Don't have the article but would you be able to then put in for both rifle and archery for the same species?
Old 08-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Don't have the article but would you be able to then put in for both rifle and archery for the same species?
Not according to the article, One or the other. Antelope they say might be going to the same thing as well. I think this will clear the archery seasons up, I'd wager if most guys have to wait x amount of years for a tag they'll want a gun instead of a bow.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:59 PM

in some zones a draw would be a good idea but where there is plenty of game I personally don't see the point and cross bow does not concern one bit. distance,clear shot,wind,noise and movement all plays into either cross bow or long bow. and for the record I shot pse evo dream season and love it.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTAssassin View Post
Not according to the article, One or the other. Antelope they say might be going to the same thing as well. I think this will clear the archery seasons up, I'd wager if most guys have to wait x amount of years for a tag they'll want a gun instead of a bow.
I'd have to agree with you Assassin, bow hunting is hard enough if you make people choose between either bow or rifle for a certain species, 9 times out 10 people will choose rifle for the more "certain" way of tagging out
Old 08-03-2013, 07:29 PM

Definitely will be interesting to see how this plays out tho..
Old 08-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ruger View Post
in some zones a draw would be a good idea but where there is plenty of game I personally don't see the point and cross bow does not concern one bit. distance,clear shot,wind,noise and movement all plays into either cross bow or long bow. and for the record I shot pse evo dream season and love it.
It would only be areas where there is already a draw in place.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
I applaud the idea. hopefully it comes to fruition.
I do as well, problem we have here is an exploding population of people, and a declining resource, SRD has no clue or money to manage it, until they get the nads to tell APOS to take a hike, until the herds are recovering, and they revamp that draw system to 3 applications per person per year (one guy here applied for 18 draws???!!!). We will soon be like some of the states with a 3 day deer season, and a 2 pointer being a trophy.....BTW, I saw a deer today!!!!!!..yee haw, no fawn with her, but.....
Old 08-03-2013, 09:44 PM

Remember when draws were for an authorization to take a cow or doe,with a general tag. General tags were available for moose and Elk everywhere, archery and rifle?
Special licenses were for Antelope, and Wainright and a couple others. Guides were local people that knew the local areas and the animals in there,and outfitters were not the Big Business they are now..
Back then I am told we had a lot more hunters,taking more game . Now we have declining numbers of hunters, most things are a draw or soon will be, animal populations are down all over. Somehow with the changes in the past 20 years that were to make things better everything is going to ****.
I recall seeing herds of over 200 mule deer around Youngstown, a normal fall day was seeing several hundred deer , and a good antelope hunt would be seeing a few hundred a day.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Remember when draws were for an authorization to take a cow or doe,with a general tag. General tags were available for moose and Elk everywhere, archery and rifle?
Special licenses were for Antelope, and Wainright and a couple others. Guides were local people that knew the local areas and the animals in there,and outfitters were not the Big Business they are now..
Back then I am told we had a lot more hunters,taking more game . Now we have declining numbers of hunters, most things are a draw or soon will be, animal populations are down all over. Somehow with the changes in the past 20 years that were to make things better everything is going to ****.
I recall seeing herds of over 200 mule deer around Youngstown, a normal fall day was seeing several hundred deer , and a good antelope hunt would be seeing a few hundred a day.
I'm afraid those days are gone my friend . Like em or not draws are here to stay and may be the only hope for some species , thanx to a combination of mismanagement and Mother Nature getting in her 2 cents worth .
Old 08-03-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
The aba sold out on the archery muley draws, only to have other associations back them on this in 2014. You'll only get to put in for one or the other, not both like the antelope draw.

This terrible news for hunting segregation. Bowhunters will once again get to hunt every year or second at the most. While I don't like what I'm seeing, it is going to be sweet justice against all the morons who wanted draws for archery hunters.

While it will benefit me, I for one don't like what's coming. The old system will prove , somethings are better left unchanged...
Old 08-05-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
The aba sold out on the archery muley draws, only to have other associations back them on this in 2014. You'll only get to put in for one or the other, not both like the antelope draw.

This terrible news for hunting segregation. Bowhunters will once again get to hunt every year or second at the most. While I don't like what I'm seeing, it is going to be sweet justice against all the morons who wanted draws for archery hunters.

While it will benefit me, I for one don't like what's coming. The old system will prove , somethings are better left unchanged...
X2 Couldn't have said it better myself. Only I don't think the ABA really sold out...more or less they just got told. Your lobby power only goes so far when you represent a small percentage of the hunting population. If the writing is on the wall you have to negotiate the best you can. They will still get my membership renewal.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:18 PM

Would it not be easier to just make a few more archery only zones
Old 08-05-2013, 08:47 PM

I like the archery tags can't wait
Old 08-07-2013, 06:24 AM

Default Archery Draws

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post

Potty I believe you are wrong about the ABA selling out the Muley Draws. The ABA was presented with information (as where all groups at the AGMAG meetings), we tried to find more answers in the data presented and in the end yes we could not qualify better results. Ultimately all users of the recources have to be responsible and from this data archers where harvesting more deer than their allotted share (piece of the pie).

As far as the suggestion of draws for archery tags, SRD is stating that the vast majority of calls, emails and letters they are receiving are that most do not want this draw regime. SRD is leaning at not having archery draws, so if archers want to get back their share of the resource we all need to all email, call and send letters in otherwise it won't happen. SRD also feels that this would create more work for the already overworked Bio's.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Banned

First off the archery harvest data that ESRD used is suspect and is easy to blow holes in...

Secondly, ESRD screwed the resident hunters by reducing resident opportunity as a priority. The archery draw was based on looking at only the archery resident hunter harvest percentages being in excess of 15% of the total resident harvest. The 2009-2011 years were noted.

ESRD didnt include landowner harvest or outfitter harvest in the total harvest, even though it is impactful to the 15% overall harvest.

Thirdly, ESRD cant even get outfitter allocations settled, or impose the indicated 10% limit on landowner tags yet are quick to ram rod the archery mule deer through. Patting them selves on the back...success!!

What role did the ABA or AFGA have in this? They enabled it.

Did the ABA and AFGA endorse or promote it? Do they still?

Are memberships in these groups a good use of my money?
Old 12-23-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
I'd have to agree with you Assassin, bow hunting is hard enough if you make people choose between either bow or rifle for a certain species, 9 times out 10 people will choose rifle for the more "certain" way of tagging out
I agree!!! In many zones a guy is waiting 4 years to get drawn for a mulie buck. I think the draw will just push Alberta hunters to different areas and make hunting a cash grab instead of the wilderness experience it should be.

Maybe we should restrict non resident hunters like they do in Saskatchewan. It sucks but atleast Alberta residents will be able to make to most of their WMUs.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kody7 View Post
I agree!!! In many zones a guy is waiting 4 years to get drawn for a mulie buck. I think the draw will just push Alberta hunters to different areas and make hunting a cash grab instead of the wilderness experience it should be.

Maybe we should restrict non resident hunters like they do in Saskatchewan. It sucks but atleast Alberta residents will be able to make to most of their WMUs.
Winner!!

Residency should mean living here as well.

I know a fair number of people that work here but live out of province that hunt every year in Alberta.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator View Post
I agree good idea as long as we can keep those damn crossbows out of it!
Did you say crossbow? Not Xgun? Go to a draw and let the crossbows in too than we will see who sticks to a bow and doesn't only hunt with a rifle. The times are a changing...
Old 12-27-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Winner!!

Residency should mean living here as well.

I know a fair number of people that work here but live out of province that hunt every year in Alberta.
Myself and others have been saying this for a long time....to be a resident of Alberta currently you really just need a mailing address, there are no benchmarks or minimum waiting times.

Many people are "dual residents"....Alberta and some other province and take the benefits of both places.

LC
Old 12-27-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Did you say crossbow? Not Xgun? Go to a draw and let the crossbows in too than we will see who sticks to a bow and doesn't only hunt with a rifle. The times are a changing...
As long as I can pull my compound back...I will not make the switch to a xbow. BUT if an injury or disability causes me to be unable then I will see if I could get the appropriate permits...but only come that time.

LC
Old 12-27-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
As long as I can pull my compound back...I will not make the switch to a xbow. BUT if an injury or disability causes me to be unable then I will see if I could get the appropriate permits...but only come that time.

LC
keep the xbows out except for the disabled^^^^^^^^^
Old 12-27-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Shot a crossbow well healing from an injury and went back to a bow as soon as my body allowed it.

In my opinion if you take the time to learn how to shoot a bow properly it has more benefits than a crossbow.

Yes, bows and crossbows have similarities but in the end they are completely different.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Aging are we Lefty? I stirred the Pot and I apologize just I could not resist the "dig" as I know how sensitive the crossbow is with our archery community. I am in the same boat you are, stay strong and I too will stick to my compound bow.

Back to the thread maybe a draw system might replenish all our game all across Alberta but that is only a small piece of the pie to successful game management and I know people on this forum could give a million great ideas just got to win over the game management government experts who only go outside to get to their cars!
Old 12-28-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wctbowtech View Post
Potty I believe you are wrong about the ABA selling out the Muley Draws. The ABA was presented with information (as where all groups at the AGMAG meetings), we tried to find more answers in the data presented and in the end yes we could not qualify better results. Ultimately all users of the recources have to be responsible and from this data archers where harvesting more deer than their allotted share (piece of the pie).

As far as the suggestion of draws for archery tags, SRD is stating that the vast majority of calls, emails and letters they are receiving are that most do not want this draw regime. SRD is leaning at not having archery draws, so if archers want to get back their share of the resource we all need to all email, call and send letters in otherwise it won't happen. SRD also feels that this would create more work for the already overworked Bio's.

Are you suggesting that the ABA executive did not want an Archery Draw season for Mule Deer?

I have the impression that the ABA executive desired to have these seasons placed into the draw system followed by the ABA's Archery Draw regime resolution to have exclusive draw codes for archery and general weapon seasons where hunters must choose one or the other.

And the kicker....
The ABA president recently told me that in his opinion, "there are too many bowhunters".

Adding one plus one, I can only conclude that the ABA executive has chosen the path to go with SRD's flow to institute more Archery draw seasons and segregate these seasons in a fashion that will exclude many of those hunters who use both a bow and rifle.

------
To update this thread, there are NO new Archery Antlered Mule deer seasons proposed for 2014. Discussions are in progress regarding Archery Only draw codes beginning in 2015.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:55 PM

Default Cross Bow

The big advantage to a cross bow is you don't have to draw. 9 times out of 10 a bow hunter gets busted trying to draw his bow.

Cross bow needs to remain only for the disabled.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I have the impression that the ABA executive desired to have these seasons placed into the draw system followed by the ABA's Archery Draw regime resolution to have exclusive draw codes for archery and general weapon seasons where hunters must choose one or the other.

And the kicker....
The ABA president recently told me that in his opinion, "there are too many bowhunters".

Nothing surprises me anymore in this province. Change is slowly coming to these entrenched groups representing us hunters, but I fear it could be too late.

Keep up the fight walking buffalo, I appreciate the time and passion you put in. Even if I don't agree with all of it. Many thanks once again!
Old 12-28-2013, 08:49 PM

Interesting thought. Why would the ABA have lobbied for a longer season in recent years if they knew we were already close to or exceding 15% ?

If it goes seperate draws with only applying for one then I want to be able to hunt from September first in the south all the way till the end of rifle season with my bow.