Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-31-2013, 09:59 AM

Question Hunting Strategies - Buck Bedding?

I do a lot of reading to try out different bowhunting strategies. A lot of books are written by authors that hunt in areas that I imagine are vastly different than where I hunt (i.e. higher densities, less bush, better ratio, etc).

Anyway one strategy I've read about from the BloodBrothers material is to key in on buck beds. Specifically, locating buck bedding and setting up nearby.

So is this a strategy that could work here in Alberta or do they not reuse the same bedding areas that much?
Old 12-31-2013, 10:21 AM

I would setup between the bedding and feeding personally....if you blow them out of their bedding areas they may move and never be seen again, it's their safe place.

LC
Old 12-31-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I would setup between the bedding and feeding personally....if you blow them out of their bedding areas they may move and never be seen again, it's their safe place.

LC
That's sound wisdom right there Lefty!
Old 01-02-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
I agree with that advice, but my only problem is locating bedding areas as they seem to shift (i.e. near field in sept., Deep on river in Oct, on benches in Nov, etc). Or maybe I just haven't truely found the right spots and only found temporary beds that have no reason behind them.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:17 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny_HC View Post
I agree with that advice, but my only problem is locating bedding areas as they seem to shift (i.e. near field in sept., Deep on river in Oct, on benches in Nov, etc). Or maybe I just haven't truely found the right spots and only found temporary beds that have no reason behind them.
Ahhh you are catching on, you only temporary pattern a whitetail. They change things up as said earlier find the transition zones from feeding to bedding areas, funnels, natural creek bottoms etc and set up in those areas. Heavy cover that allows the animal to travel rather undetected, these areas too will be a hold up area sometimes well into dark then they come out to feed. Remember they change regularly as the season goes on, you need to believe in your gut feeling on an area, be flexible and quick to adjust, have multiple stand locations and hunt the wind. nothing like doing all that work to have your "fart" linger through their bedding area, the ole lady might tolerate it but they sure wont!