Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-21-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpk1982 View Post
Was out scouting today in the 500's and found a couple of promising spots to place baits next month. This will be my first time hunting bear with archery gear. Couple questions...how far do you guys typically set the barrels from a treestand? And also, any tips for shooting from a treestand as opposed to shooting on the ground? Thx
Depends on how comfortable you are shooting from above. Slight learning curve to using a stand vs a blind.
Distance from tree really depends. If your in really tight bush, you may only be able to set up a stand 15 yards away with a clean line of sight.
Personally i try to set up my blind/tree stand about 25 yards from the barrel. I always set up the blind or stand at least a day before i plan on hunting the bait.

Others should have a little better in depth advice.
Good luck!
Old 03-22-2015, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batten231 View Post
Just got back from the COLD LAKE area today, 3 baits set today. We had a bunch of bears on them last year, hopefully this year they'll remember where the food was at. Might be an earlier year for bears hitting, time will tell. Must say, with the snow still in the bush it made it tough work, but hopefully they are the first food sources they find as they come out of the dens.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but dont you require to have your licence to start your baits? or maybe its just to begin baiting. Just curious... and don't want anyone getting in trouble. Good luck with your season. Some good bears up near cold lake.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Was out scouting today in the 500's and found a couple of promising spots to place baits next month. This will be my first time hunting bear with archery gear. Couple questions...how far do you guys typically set the barrels from a treestand? And also, any tips for shooting from a treestand as opposed to shooting on the ground? Thx
20 yards or less... give yourself ample background cover and try to get up about 20 feet if possible. Be down wind or off to the side of the dominant winds in the area. If its 20 yards, use your 20 yard pin, whether in a tree or on the ground. Put some sort of wall with dead fall behind the barrels. This way it forces the bears to be on your side of the barrel not behind it. this will give you better shot opportunities. Force the bears to go where you want them. And make sure you have a good trail in and out with plenty of sight. Don't think you want to meet a bear walking in the trail you're exiting in the dark.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:28 AM

my stands are 8-10 feet high and 8-12 yards away from the bait.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:31 AM

Default Leaving at dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertabowhunter View Post
20 yards or less... give yourself ample background cover and try to get up about 20 feet if possible. Be down wind or off to the side of the dominant winds in the area. If its 20 yards, use your 20 yard pin, whether in a tree or on the ground. Put some sort of wall with dead fall behind the barrels. This way it forces the bears to be on your side of the barrel not behind it. this will give you better shot opportunities. Force the bears to go where you want them. And make sure you have a good trail in and out with plenty of sight. Don't think you want to meet a bear walking in the trail you're exiting in the dark.
Speaking of leaving in the dark...what do you guys do at dark if you have a bear on the bait to make him leave, so you can leave? Yell? Arrow at his feet lol? My last bait I did was intended for rifle and was 100 yards from my treestand. So a couple times at dark I had this scenario happen. I just slipped down quietly and took the exit which was away from the barrels, mostly unnoticed.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but dont you require to have your licence to start your baits? or maybe its just to begin baiting. Just curious... and don't want anyone getting in trouble. Good luck with your season. Some good bears up near cold lake.
There isn't a season on when you start baiting, and you are not hunting right now, so no license required. The second I sit in the bush during a season with my bow you betcha you need one. Also, I know a few folks that put baits out just for photography.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:06 AM

I believe that you can only bait during the season and the preceding 2 weeks. No earlier.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:43 PM

45-70, you are correct. The season starts 01 April for archery, if you do the math bait sites are good to go right now. To be exact, they could have been placed as early as the 18th of March. From 18 Mar to 31 Mar, you cannot hunt, therefore you don't need a license. As of 01 Apr, season is on and you can hunt, which means you need a license. Page 60 of the hunting regulations summary, lays it all out pretty clearly.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:07 PM

Default bear bait

If any one in the Wainwright area wants 14 muskrat carcasses your free to have them sitting in a 5 gallon pail stewing away in my shop
Old 03-23-2015, 12:03 AM

OK, Thanks, I guess I was misinformed on the baiting. Good to know for future. I still wont start my baits until Mid April.... Big bears will still be sleeping.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
OK, Thanks, I guess I was misinformed on the baiting. Good to know for future. I still wont start my baits until Mid April.... Big bears will still be sleeping.
Some people say I rush baiting, that we go out to early. We've always gone out and baited two weeks prior to season. Your best chance shooting a monster is towards the end of May. That being said the biggest bear shot to date on our baits was within the first week and a half of season several years ago. In my mind it never hurts to put it out early
Old 03-24-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batten231 View Post
45-70, you are correct. The season starts 01 April for archery, if you do the math bait sites are good to go right now. To be exact, they could have been placed as early as the 18th of March. From 18 Mar to 31 Mar, you cannot hunt, therefore you don't need a license. As of 01 Apr, season is on and you can hunt, which means you need a license. Page 60 of the hunting regulations summary, lays it all out pretty clearly.
Keeping in mind...

Access for Control of Livestock Predation

Black Bear and Coyote*

Any person who is (a) the owner or occupant of privately owned land, or (b) authorized to keep livestock on public land, or (c) a resident authorized by a person described in (a) or a resident authorized in writing by a person described in (b) may, without a licence, hunt (but not trap) black bear or coyote on such lands, at all times of the year.

Neil
Old 03-25-2015, 06:40 PM
AO Sponsor

Default Sleepless nights

This bears been in my head since this photo was taken last year!
Hopefully not been taken but I can still dream......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (44.9 KB, 146 views)
Old 03-25-2015, 07:12 PM

Bruiser! Go get 'im liv4it!
Old 03-25-2015, 08:39 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Keeping in mind...

Access for Control of Livestock Predation

Black Bear and Coyote*

Any person who is (a) the owner or occupant of privately owned land, or (b) authorized to keep livestock on public land, or (c) a resident authorized by a person described in (a) or a resident authorized in writing by a person described in (b) may, without a licence, hunt (but not trap) black bear or coyote on such lands, at all times of the year.

Neil
You are correct sir. Sure is nice to have some private land locked down as well.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:49 PM

We had this guy show up on our bait. It's a bad picture but the only one I have on my phone unfortunately
Old 03-25-2015, 09:05 PM

This is the first bear I shot. I shot him in '09. I was planning on getting my first bear with a bow but got put in a situation where I had to use the rifle . Still happy with it though.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:23 PM

Can't wait this will be my first ever bear hunt
Old 03-25-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Keeping in mind...

Access for Control and Livestock Predation

Black Bear and Coyote*

Neil
Baiting is not permitted at any time if you're hunting without a license on private land, under the predation act.
I know it doesn't specify it in the regs, but I spoke to fish and wildlife to clarify.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:38 AM
Banned

Default bears

Quote:
15-20yds would be the answer for most. Shooting from a treestand some guys say they will hit a little bit high, so aim a touch low. Take a target to shoot at after your set up and you will know what works for you.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Speaking of leaving in the dark...what do you guys do at dark if you have a bear on the bait to make him leave, so you can leave? Yell? Arrow at his feet lol? My last bait I did was intended for rifle and was 100 yards from my treestand. So a couple times at dark I had this scenario happen. I just slipped down quietly and took the exit which was away from the barrels, mostly unnoticed.
Set in a stand till midnight on several occassions waiting for the dark thirty dinner crowd to leave...

Shooting an arrow at their feet may end up as a snack for some bears...

They dont like very bright light so get the brightest LED light you can....it works and they dont spook as much for some reason....might be they are temporary blinded and cant see you...lol

Neil
Old 03-26-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Baiting is not permitted at any time if you're hunting without a license on private land, under the predation act.
I know it doesn't specify it in the regs, but I spoke to fish and wildlife to clarify.
Correct and not on all private land also...baiting in only baiting zones and timing applies ...one reason is Grizzlys...

Neil
Old 03-26-2015, 08:24 AM

Outstanding stuff guys ...great storys ,comments and pics...keep it up!!!
Cant wait for all the success pics!!...

Neil
Old 03-26-2015, 09:54 AM

Where do you get the beavers for your bait? is it legal to hunt them for the purpose of baiting predators?
Old 03-26-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flint&Fly Guy View Post
Where do you get the beavers for your bait? is it legal to hunt them for the purpose of baiting predators?
local trappers are a good source...problem beavers are legal to hunt with proper authorisation, its not legal everywhere as they are a fur bearing animal..

Regs Quote...

NOTE: It is unlawful, with the following exceptions, to allow the pelt of any furbearing animal to be wasted:
It is not legally necessary to salvage pelts of 1) furbearing animals taken in accordance with regulations authorizing control of problem wildlife

Neil
Old 03-27-2015, 07:58 AM

Old 03-27-2015, 10:36 AM

Now that is funny!
Old 03-27-2015, 09:13 PM
AO Sponsor

Gotta say, I bursted out laughing!
Old 03-27-2015, 09:21 PM
AO Sponsor

Default Last years bruin

Called him King Kong, he came in to bait only twice during spring season,one time to many....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (22.6 KB, 138 views)
Old 03-27-2015, 09:34 PM

Wow...beautiful...looks worth more than my pick up...
Neil