Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-23-2019, 02:25 PM

Default highwood or cataract creek?

Looking to get down south this next week (mainly highwood river and cataract creek) since the rain doesn’t seem to have hit quite as hard as it did west of Edmonton. The flows online look high but not as bad as some of my home rivers.

Can anyone give me an eyes on report of this area? It’s a few hours drive for me and will postpone if it’s a waste of time.

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiceeslater View Post
Looking to get down south this next week (mainly highwood river and cataract creek) since the rain doesn’t seem to have hit quite as hard as it did west of Edmonton. The flows online look high but not as bad as some of my home rivers.

Can anyone give me an eyes on report of this area? It’s a few hours drive for me and will postpone if it’s a waste of time.

Thanks!
They got 50cm of snow according to the park guy at the summit of highwood pass. Was out yesterday the river was high and fast pretty blown out. I did also see 4 grizzlys.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:03 PM

I can attest to the previous reply. Was out there this weekend and the highwood and its tributaries were all blown out. A ridiculous amount of snow along the west most parts of the kananaskis trail. I imagine it could be a couple weeks until it settles down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2019, 09:56 PM

Crossed the Bow & the Highwood today. They're not flood stage but are high & dirty. Haven't been out west yet this spring but I think you will enjoy you the fishing a lot more in a couple weeks.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 06-23-2019, 10:35 PM

I'm pretty sure the Oldman river system got a lot less snow than the Highwood, and would be much more fishable in the near future
Old 06-24-2019, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the info, everyone. I really appreciate it. Saves me a ton of driving for no reason. I’d much rather postpone the trip and actually catch something. It’s too bad the rivers are finally coming down around my area and we’re expecting more rain.

I’m chomping at the bit to get out and hike some rivers.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:39 AM

I was at at the oldman on Sunday it was a little high but very fishable and good visibility, caught around half a dozen

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsleykhan View Post
I was at at the oldman on Sunday it was a little high but very fishable and good visibility, caught around half a dozen

I’ve never been down there. If I’m coming from the north and just continue down 22 past the Longview area is it hard to find a good piece of river? Do you mind giving away a decent starting point?

I’ve watched some YouTube videos and seen photos of different groups fishing pools below some falls on the Oldman and it all looks like great water but my google earth skills aren’t good enough to find the spot. Any advice you could give on the area would be much appreciated. Even if you wanted to DM me. I fish alone and try not to blow up anyone’s spot if that makes any difference to you. Just looking to get into the fish is all.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:36 AM

Just pick a spot the whole river is great
Old 06-25-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiceeslater View Post
I’ve never been down there. If I’m coming from the north and just continue down 22 past the Longview area is it hard to find a good piece of river? Do you mind giving away a decent starting point?

I’ve watched some YouTube videos and seen photos of different groups fishing pools below some falls on the Oldman and it all looks like great water but my google earth skills aren’t good enough to find the spot. Any advice you could give on the area would be much appreciated. Even if you wanted to DM me. I fish alone and try not to blow up anyone’s spot if that makes any difference to you. Just looking to get into the fish is all.
Just take cowboy trail south and you can park at may croft camping site right where the highway crosses the river or turn right directly after the bridge and drive back into the mountains, tons of spots to park and easy access

Old 07-03-2019, 10:08 PM

Highwood was fishing decent today. Still running high but visibility was moderate. Had some risers, elk hair caddis and brown drakes were working. Stones are working if you can get em deep. Also managed to hook into the biggest bull I’ve ever had on, got a decent look at him before he bent my hook and got off. Easily 10-12lbs... there are monsters lurking in them pools.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:58 PM

Default Highwood Update

I hit the Highwood today. A few hours of fishing netted yielded several Cutties in the 14-18" range. #16 Prince nymphs in the morning; and once the (light) hatch started, challenged green drake emergers in the afternoon. Water was higher than usual but visibility was close to 3 feet. It was a gorgeous day to be out, and some nice fat scrappy Cutthroats made it extra nice.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor