Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-03-2008, 07:34 PM

Default Float tubes

I have decided to buy a float tube, i was searching around on bass pro shops and cabelas website and couldnt decide which kind to buy, there is one on bass pro shops for 50.00 but also a really nice one for 170, i was just wondering if you guys have any experience with these tubes, or any preference. Does it pay off in the long run to pay more money and get a nice one?Any opinions or experience? This is the one i was looking at!

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

And the one on sale for 50

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults
Old 02-03-2008, 07:47 PM

I have a belly boat but I have the one that has an open front, instead of being a full circle. Mine is from Trout Unlimited...I got it cheap when I first started fishing and I absolutely love it. I don't know if it's a good or bad one, but I've already gotten more than my money's worth out of it.

From talking to people, I've heard that the full circle float tubes are handy because you can just take the tube out of a tractor tire and replace it, as opposed to the ones with an open front where you would have to get it a special one.

Also keep in mind you'll have to buy waders and flippers for the tube, which can cost more than the tube itself...unless of course you already have them.

Oh, and I heard Outcast has the best warranty out there as far as float tubes go.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the info mish but when will you have to replace it, just when it rips open? does that happen alot?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:10 PM
TundraBuck

Hey Jigger, my son uses one in a U shape. He has an outcast fishcat4 deluxe. We got a good deal on it from Cabelas.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:15 PM

The Fishcat 4 is a good tube,I used one before I bought a pontoon boat.Also the Fishin Hole in Calgary can beat that price from Bass Pro,my pard bought one last year,$140 and change after taxes.

Depending on your weight,that foam seat may not keep your butt out of the water.IMHO the open ended tubes are superior than the round tubes for movement in the water and comfort.Get a set of force fins and you can buck a light wind quite easily.The cheap fins will work but I went thru 3 sets in just as many years.My force fins have lasted me 2 seasons and are in excellent condition going into this years season.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:31 PM

I use a Nevada Gold made by Caddis and have owned it for about 7 years and have never had a problem with it(roughly $150'ish at Wholesale). It's a U-tube, which will cut through the water a little easier than a round tube, which makes the long days a little easier on the legs. I've owned both round and u-tubes, and have noticed a big difference. The pontoon boats are a little better if you can afford one, They keep you higher out of the water, which is good at ice-out and late in the fall when the water is cold, they usually come with oars, which make moving easier and quicker than kicking and they have more storage room. However, they are heavier and a little more cumbersome if you have to walk a little ways in to a fishing spot.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:43 PM

i use a trout trap it's just round and love it.I've had it for about 8-9yrs and never had a problem with it (knock on wood).All i say is the one at Bass Pro for $50 is a piece of crap.Check the bladder to make sure it's a good rubber tube from like a tractor.The one for $50 i bet the bladder is just that cheap stuff for floation devices in a swimming pool..Spend the money and get a good one,better also buy inflatable life jacket/vest or just have one hooked on the side of the tube incase you do need it.Because it is uncomfortable if the tube wearing one of them.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:53 PM

So tundra and everyone else with the fish cat 4, are they worth buying because thats what i will probley end up getting, also does it matter what kind of waders to use, i was thinking of something worth about 100, nothing to fancy, thanks for all the posts.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:31 PM

Here's a couple links that should help you out...

Float Tubing

Float Tubes - The good, bad & ugly

Cheers,
Doc
Old 02-03-2008, 11:07 PM
TundraBuck

Well, for waders, I'd get a pair of breathables. When it's warm it lets the sweat out, just wear a pair of shorts underneath. If the water is cold, wear sweats or long johns and wool socks and youll be fine. Neoprenes are cheaper and are meant for cold water, but if you were them in the summer youll be absolutely drowning in sweat.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
Thanks for the info mish but when will you have to replace it, just when it rips open? does that happen alot?
Yeah, just when it rips or there is a leak somewhere. I've used mine a lot with no rips or anything (knock on wood x2), but it's always good to have a nice long warranty just in case.

I just got waders from Canadian Tire for about $100. No problems yet...a heavy set of waders should last you quite a bit if you're just using them for float tubing.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
So tundra and everyone else with the fish cat 4, are they worth buying because thats what i will probley end up getting, also does it matter what kind of waders to use, i was thinking of something worth about 100, nothing to fancy, thanks for all the posts.

A pic of my vintage Fish Cat, need I say more?

Well I will, get the Fish Cat! And you don't have to get it from Bass Pro (unless you happen to be down in Las Vegas anyways). You can get it cheap enough locally.

This unit rides high so you don't have to dunk you nuts in the frigid water all day (a problem you might not understand, Mish). There's a compartment in the back you can stash a small cooler or dry bucket. There's an excellent mountpoint for your transducer with no modification required. Premounted rings for pack straps. You don't need a silly spead bar to truss open your u-tube. etc, etc.

The only downside is that because the seat and back is fsolid oam its deflated size is still substancial. But there is an upside to the foam - should you pop both bladders, it provides enough buoyancy to aid your swim to shore.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uicehole View Post
This unit rides high so you don't have to dunk you nuts in the frigid water all day (a problem you might not understand, Mish).
Always wondered why I see guys put on snowpants before their waders
Old 02-04-2008, 10:19 AM

I have been usuing float tubes since 1984, which actually was a tire tube with some leather sewn around the outside...i borrowed it from a friend and that got me on the way...........i have used opened ones,rounds ones, pontoon boats................and believe it i like my fish cat the best i have 2 of them a bigger one called a outcats and a smaller one the fish cat.......the smaller one is ok for smaller people my outcast is alot bigger and stabler
Old 02-04-2008, 09:38 PM

Hey uicehole, I like your fishing spot. I carried the first bucket of tiny trout up there in about 1984.

Tube buying. The more money you spend, the more durable the shell and the greater the weight capacity.
Be careful of how full your tube is in warm weather. When you put it in the vehicle when it is full, temperature rises can lead to expansion/explosion.
I wouldn't recommend breathable waders for April float tubing.
I use scuba fins for tubing. I don't think anything else will move as much water. When your out in a 35 mph wind it's nice to be able to get some water moving.

Hey fishman, your first tube sounds like a beaut! I used a rubber tube with a piece of 1x6" tied in with rope for a few years before getting an official tube.

Last edited by goldscud; 02-04-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:40 AM

Default O vs U

Jigger - if you can go with a u shaped tube. I have the round and am switching to the FishCat.. I hear they are the Cat's **s of tube boats..the round ones sit too low in the water these days.. ....of course I gained a few lbs since I bought my last round one !!
Old 02-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just be carefull ya dont turn upside down with your feet in the air , haaaaaaaa.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:09 PM

If you're into duck hunting as well - try to get a camoflage one.
They're awesome to shotgun from, and the ducks don't recognize your 'human' form when you're that low in the water!
Old 02-05-2008, 05:33 PM

I was on the fishin hole website and i dont understand what the difference is between the fish cat 4 and the fish cat 4 delux, except 65 bucks....
Old 02-05-2008, 05:38 PM
TundraBuck

The fishcat4 deluxe has an air seat which gets a little more comfortable and is a little more sturdy then the styrofoam seat which is in the fishcat4.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:18 PM

ok thanks for the clarification tundra.